NSX Could Be Revived

acura-tl-sh-awd_act_19.jpg

Why are Acuras getting uglier and uglier? I am so sick of these crappy designs. I was never a fan of European cars before but I look at BMW/Audi/MB/Porsche/etc... all have nice flowing designs.

The newer Acuras have more in common with GMC trucks than anything luxury.

Hondas pretty smart ( even though fans of their old stuff never stop complaining )plus they did manage to turn a profit whereas Nissan/Toyota both took heavy losses. So they must be selling cars and doing something right.

I agree that Honda is pretty smart and well managed - for 99% of their business. The customers for Accords, Civics, Odysseys and Fits are probably quite happy - top products that are refreshed every couple of years with a totally new model every 4-5 years. Shareholders are also very happy - the company is strong and profitable.

It's the 1% of their business that most of us find interesting that Honda sucks at - sports cars and higher-end luxury cars. They don't understand this market, they are not committed to it and they haven't had competitive product in it for 10 years.

Why are Acuras getting uglier and uglier?

Because they don't "get it" when it comes to luxury. Honda is an engineering company with its core value system based on practicality and efficiency. Luxury, by definition, is "more that what you need." Luxury is almost the polar opposite of efficiency. That's why Honda can't bring itself to make a car with more than 300 hp - they know that no one "needs" more than 300 HP in a car. They don't get that some of us "want" way more than 300 HP for a whole host of illogical and wasteful reasons.

The new Acura styling is the result of an engineering company forcing themselves to do something luxury.

I agree that Honda is pretty smart and well managed - for 99% of their business. The customers for Accords, Civics, Odysseys and Fits are probably quite happy - top products that are refreshed every couple of years with a totally new model every 4-5 years. Shareholders are also very happy - the company is strong and profitable.

It's the 1% of their business that most of us find interesting that Honda sucks at - sports cars and higher-end luxury cars. They don't understand this market, they are not committed to it and they haven't had competitive product in it for 10 years.

Well but if they sucked at it there wouldn't be an NSXprime. For the record some people do like their offerings but the people who don't won't move on and when they do they're just obnoxious about it.

If you want a 300hp car why even mention Honda or be angry at them for not making one as high hp cars have never been their way.

People complain about the RL but at it's price range it gives more hp/features than the 528 or E class or A6.

Honda really isn't bad as a competitor but they've picked up some really unruly/vocal customers.

Plus if they were so bad and turning out unwanted products sales ( pre recession ) would've reflected this. Honda was having a great year and picking up market share.

For some reason people on the boards scream at everything they do instead of just moving on. Poor sales are what cause companies to change.

I think they'll end up putting something out to fill in the sports car slot. I don't believe they'll let Lexus and Toyota, or even Mazda cash-in on that market alone.

What sports cars are you talking about? Toyota only makes the Celica and MR2 Spider. Lexus has nothing yet even though the LF is supposed to be released. Good luck. Mazda has the RX8 and Miata which although fun to drive, both hardly competition to a dead NSX. Nissan is the only japaneese maker with a good sports car. However they are ugly as sin.

For me it's the shift in Honda's model lineup.
I'll never buy a minivan, truck, SUV, Element, or a 300hp front wheel drive sedan. I grew up loving 5 speed Accords, Preludes, CRXs, NSXs, Integras, Legends & the NSX. Now - they've got nothing to bring me into their showrooms.

NSX Dead? Honda Dead.

What sports cars are you talking about? Toyota only makes the Celica and MR2 Spider. Lexus has nothing yet even though the LF is supposed to be released. Good luck. Mazda has the RX8 and Miata which although fun to drive, both hardly competition to a dead NSX. Nissan is the only japaneese maker with a good sports car. However they are ugly as sin.

Very true Doc and look where they're at
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/10/nissan-seeks-u-s-loans-to-develop-electric-vehicles/

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/09/report-nissan-projects-2-9b-loss-announces-20-000-job-cuts/

But hey they're true to their fans:biggrin:

For me it's the shift in Honda's model lineup.
I'll never buy a minivan, truck, SUV, Element, or a 300hp front wheel drive sedan. I grew up loving 5 speed Accords, Preludes, CRXs, NSXs, Integras, Legends & the NSX. Now - they've got nothing to bring me into their showrooms.

NSX Dead? Honda Dead.

Honda dead??? Come on of the Japanese Big 3 they're the only one to turn a profit while Nissan and Toyota had huge losses. Dead companies don't profit:wink:

Honda isn't dead... but PERFORMANCE and EXCITEMENT in Honda's lineup sure is.

I'm so passed Honda now. My new dream car is the R8 because of the looks alone. I wish that Audi would hurry up and bring over that V10 model to drive down the V8 prices. I already found one for $109,000 the other day. In 2012 I'm going to hopefully pull the trigger on one if they drop below $70k.

And as for the current NSX, an aftermarket company needs to just make new body panels, redo the interior, and add a SC for like $30k and make a new car. That would be cool. Then I'd buy a 1991 and give them the money and have a cool "new" car.

Well but if they sucked at it there wouldn't be an NSXprime. For the record some people do like their offerings but the people who don't won't move on and when they do they're just obnoxious about it.

What offerings? Honda/Acura has no high-end sedan or high-end sports car on the market today. Let me repeat from my previous email - I AGREE with you that Honda is well run. I opined that 99% of their product portfilio is spot-on but their handling of high-end vehicles is quite poor. If it wasn't, we'd be talking about how great the 3rd gen NSX is and looking forward to the 4th gen coming out next year.

If you want a 300hp car why even mention Honda or be angry at them for not making one as high hp cars have never been their way.

I'm not angry at Honda - if they don't want to make a high HP vehicle, that's fine with me. But they have been TALKING about taking on Ferrari and Aston Martin for years now with nothing to show for it.

Honda really isn't bad as a competitor but they've picked up some really unruly/vocal customers.
I was at the very first NSXPO - the VP of Acura told us that a new NSX was coming out by 2000. Honda has talked and talked up a new NSX for 10 years with nothing to show. I think that is what makes the customers vocal and unruly. In the higher-end sports car segment, Honda has been a lousy competitor for the past 10-12 years - they basically stopped competing and gave up on the market all together.

Plus if they were so bad and turning out unwanted products sales ( pre recession ) would've reflected this. Honda was having a great year and picking up market share.

I re-repeat. Honda Accord, Civic, Odyssey and Fit rule their markets - Honda is to be congratulated for making cars buyers want and sell well as a result. As you know, the sales of the NSX slowed to a handful of units per month during the peak of the performance car boom. The same is true for the new-gen RL - sales fell consistently month over month in 2006 and 2007 when competitor sales grew and grew during the same period. Same thing with the S2000 - it was in a sales nose-dive well before the 2008 automotive market crash.

For some reason people on the boards scream at everything they do instead of just moving on. Poor sales are what cause companies to change.

Poor sales should make companies change - so as sales got progressively worse for the NSX from 1996 thru 2005, Honda didn't change a thing. 10 HP, 1 gear and a couple of body panels not withstanding. NSX sales dropped basically to zero during the period when Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin and Corvette sales grew tremendously. That inaction is what makes most of us scream.

BTW, one can be critical of Honda and a fan/supporter/enthuiast at the same time. I am certain that there are pleny of Honda engineers and managers were highly critical of the lack of investment given to the NSX program for its last 10 years on the market.

You guys are right. Honda's not dead.

HONDA'S DEAD TO ME!

Honda isn't dead... but PERFORMANCE and EXCITEMENT in Honda's lineup sure is.

I'm so passed Honda now. My new dream car is the R8 because of the looks alone. I wish that Audi would hurry up and bring over that V10 model to drive down the V8 prices. I already found one for $109,000 the other day. In 2012 I'm going to hopefully pull the trigger on one if they drop below $70k.

And as for the current NSX, an aftermarket company needs to just make new body panels, redo the interior, and add a SC for like $30k and make a new car. That would be cool. Then I'd buy a 1991 and give them the money and have a cool "new" car.

Man what is it with everyone thinking the R8 being drop dead gorgeous and such? I mean it is a sharp looking car, but it's such a pig. It needs to have a much lower stance to be taken seriously as an beautiful, exotic vehicle. Then again the Ferraris are also getting fatter also. Lamborghini seems to be the be only ones left pushing the low stance. Is this the way of the future? :shrugs:

What offerings? Honda/Acura has no high-end sedan or high-end sports car on the market today. Let me repeat from my previous email - I AGREE with you that Honda is well run. I opined that 99% of their product portfilio is spot-on but their handling of high-end vehicles is quite poor. If it wasn't, we'd be talking about how great the 3rd gen NSX is and looking forward to the 4th gen coming out next year.

I'm honestly not being a smart alec when I say all of their cars be they Honda or Acura are their offerings.

Why does Honda need High end vehicles when people only wish to pay so much for a Honda product not matter how well engineered or designed it is?

People like midlevel vehicles from Honda and they usually compete very well in their respective classes and by dollar value.

I'm not angry at Honda - if they don't want to make a high HP vehicle, that's fine with me. But they have been TALKING about taking on Ferrari and Aston Martin for years now with nothing to show for it.

Not true they did have a vehicle to show for it but due to economic climate have decided not put to market until things improve. True few people cared for it but even if Honda had made the R8 it would be spit on. Honda seemingly cannot win with people who bought their cars in the 90's.

I was at the very first NSXPO - the VP of Acura told us that a new NSX was coming out by 2000. Honda has talked and talked up a new NSX for 10 years with nothing to show. I think that is what makes the customers vocal and unruly. In the higher-end sports car segment, Honda has been a lousy competitor for the past 10-12 years - they basically stopped competing and gave up on the market all together.

No matter what they presented people weren't happy and they couldn't get out of the shadow of the original NSX. Plus to make a competitive car Honda would have to go over the $100k mark and really don't think they have much support their because most people will say "You paid how much for a Honda"

Best thing they could do was give up on that market.

What sense does it make to be vocal and unruly when you can just move on and show a business that your no longer supporting them. Which Honda has shown that they obviously don't mind.

I re-repeat. Honda Accord, Civic, Odyssey and Fit rule their markets - Honda is to be congratulated for making cars buyers want and sell well as a result. As you know, the sales of the NSX slowed to a handful of units per month during the peak of the performance car boom. The same is true for the new-gen RL - sales fell consistently month over month in 2006 and 2007 when competitor sales grew and grew during the same period. Same thing with the S2000 - it was in a sales nose-dive well before the 2008 automotive market crash.

Exactly. Not core products why continue to invest heavily in cars that are losing money. I've no idea why they continue with the RL and the MMC made no sense to me but I don't run a car company. S2K was/is an old platform and it's good that Honda is finally discontinuing it w/o replacement. Hopefully they'll do the same for the RL.

Poor sales should make companies change - so as sales got progressively worse for the NSX from 1996 thru 2005, Honda didn't change a thing. 10 HP, 1 gear and a couple of body panels not withstanding. NSX sales dropped basically to zero during the period when Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin and Corvette sales grew tremendously. That inaction is what makes most of us scream.

Sports cars aren't Hondas primary market they could sell everything else they make w/o ever having had the NSX.

Whats there to scream about it's a car you just find something else you like and Honda loses the business. Honestly how is that such a big deal. We're talking adults not children. Children are the ones who scream when they don't get what they want.

You and others are intelligent and successful people who continue with no dead horse left to beat. It's beneath you. Only crazy people do/say the same thing over and over and expect different results. You and the others aren't crazy.

Honda doesn't have anything you like and your through with them but why tell those of us that are still interested this over and over:confused:

BTW, one can be critical of Honda and a fan/supporter/enthuiast at the same time. I am certain that there are pleny of Honda engineers and managers were highly critical of the lack of investment given to the NSX program for its last 10 years on the market.

How can you not like anything a company does and still be a fan:confused:.

How can you support someone you have no faith in that's fruitless:confused:

If they're not doing anything that appeals to you what are you enthusiastic about:confused:

Honestly so many of you guys have become anti fans but don't seem to realize it. It's become the thing to do to jump in and bash anything Honda does and this is on their fan sites ..LOL

Oh come on TC they're employees and employees are almost always critical:wink:

Last edited:

I couldnt agree more. :frown: you are absolutley right.

I'm a ture Honda fan and i keep getting dissapointed with their ignorance to us. Honda in the past, wasnt just a profitalbe car company. it was a very special company with a rich motorsport history. Soichiro didnt just establish Honda to be rich and make money. he had big Dreams, and he achieved them. he built his own F1 car, the first passenger car for Honda was a two seater convirtable with rear wheel drive and a high revving engine.

but now, they have the power of demolishing dreams, all the years of passion and faith and then Honda screws its fans more and more. I will always admire Honda's past, and i still hope that somday the old great honda history to be revived, until then, ill remain dissapointed and angry about Honda's current vision.

below is a great article about the Legend, Soichiro Honda, this is how dedicated he was:

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/aug2004/nf20040817_3267_db078.htm

How can you not like anything a company does and still be a fan:confused:.

How can you support someone you have no faith in that's fruitless:confused:

If they're not doing anything that appeals to you what are you enthusiastic about:confused:

Honestly so many of you guys have become anti fans but don't seem to realize it. It's become the thing to do to jump in and bash anything Honda does and this is on their fan sites ..LOL

Oh come on TC they're employees and employees are almost always critical:wink:

I don't recall ever posting something that would indicate that I don't like anything Honda makes. I own 2 NSX's and my wife owned an 05 RL for 4 years (just got rid of it a couple of weeks ago) so I clearly appreciate some products that Honda makes. I'm not a buyer for most of the Honda/Acura lineup (Accord, Odyssey, TSX, etc.) and I don't recall ever posting anything critical about those cars.

My critisms of Honda have not been aimed at the products themselves (I think the NSX is terrific, that's why I have two) but how Honda has mismanaged certain products, particularly the ones that I've owned. Honda has succeeded in nearly every segment because it follows the core principle of continuous improvement. The products are improved relentlessly. I've never understood why that same philosophy wasn't applied to the NSX. You can say that Honda didn't invest in the NSX because the sales were falling, but the sales were falling because competitors were bringing newer and better products to the market.

As for why Honda needs high-end vehicles, that is a great question. But it has been Honda (particularly Acura) that has been talking about being on par with BMW and Mercedes, attacking Aston and Ferrari with the ASCC, about being Tier 1, etc. That is Honda talking - not me. I'm simply offering my critical opinion that their actions are not going to achieve their stated goals.

Man what is it with everyone thinking the R8 being drop dead gorgeous and such? I mean it is a sharp looking car, but it's such a pig. It needs to have a much lower stance to be taken seriously as an beautiful, exotic vehicle. Then again the Ferraris are also getting fatter also. Lamborghini seems to be the be only ones left pushing the low stance. Is this the way of the future? :shrugs:

the R8 looks MUCH better in person than it does in any picture. in pictures... yes... it does look bloated and tall... but in person it is much sleeker than i expected. car heights in terms of real numbers...

R8: 49.3"
Gallardo: 45.9"
NSX: 46.1"
f430: 47.8"

the difference between the R8 and gallardo is 3.4"... a reasonable difference, i grant, but less than pictures would lead one to believe.

the R8 is also absolutely fabulous to drive. i have driven the paddle version and the standard, and i prefer the short-throw standard setup. i too am waiting for the v10 so the v8 prices will drop

I think both TC and Wingz have great points.

Ive been driving hondas for a while and i've worked for them for the past 6 years. One thing is certain......they upgrade EVERY model every 5 years like clockwork. Every model except for the NSX and S2000 which both remained practically unchanged from birth to death, 14 and 9 years respectively. Why they dont apply the same philosophy to their sports cars is anyones' guess. The 5 year life cycle has obviously very well for the other models.

On the other hand, honda/acura does have some very vocal fans who dont seem to like change. When the HSC was introduced, everyone scoffed then it got scrapped and the same scoffers complained. Then honda finally decides to bring a 500 hp V10 world beater to the table much to the dismay of their "loyal" fans. That gets put on hold and everyone complains again. It's just like on the acurazine boards where there's a hundred threads of how 3rd gen TL owners dont like the 4th gen TL (2009+)
It puzzles me how people can spend so much time voicing their disdain or dislike for a product instead of just moving on. I so happen to like their current line-up but if they start making products that dont fit me or my lifestyle...........ill move on and not try to take the world with me.

I meant to say Toyota and Nissan. Ooops....

Nissan - GT-R kicks ass, and then they have the Z. Honda has no car to respond in those segments.

Toyota - Celica was discontinued in 05, as was MR-2, because they introduced the Scion brand, and in this case specifically the Tc model which looks far better than the Celica did. They may bring out the LF as well, and Honda has nothing to compete in those segments either. What H car can match the Scion Tc??? Civic?? Please!

Mazda revamped their lineup big time. Isn't a new RX-7 still in the works? Their Mazdaspeed lineup is awesome!

At least Honda is still somewhat well off financially. But their lineup is starting to look like Toyota's lineup - boring, uninspired, bland... apparently made for people with no personality. And this is slowly driving the long time pocket-rocket enthusiasts away to other brands. I'd take a Tc, Mazdaspeed3 or even a used Z over anything from Honda or Acura.

I meant to say Toyota and Nissan. Ooops....

Nissan - GT-R kicks ass, and then they have the Z. Honda has no car to respond in those segments.

Toyota - Celica was discontinued in 05, as was MR-2, because they introduced the Scion brand, and in this case specifically the Tc model which looks far better than the Celica did. They may bring out the LF as well, and Honda has nothing to compete in those segments either. What H car can match the Scion Tc??? Civic?? Please!

Mazda revamped their lineup big time. Isn't a new RX-7 still in the works? Their Mazdaspeed lineup is awesome!

At least Honda is still somewhat well off financially. But their lineup is starting to look like Toyota's lineup - boring, uninspired, bland... apparently made for people with no personality. And this is slowly driving the long time pocket-rocket enthusiasts away to other brands. I'd take a Tc, Mazdaspeed3 or even a used Z over anything from Honda or Acura.

Dude are you serious??
Since when was a scion TC ever even mentioned in the same sentence as "performance"?
The Scion TC is a heavy pig made for those guys who like lambo doors, TVs and million speakers in their car. The civic SI is miles ahead of that thing.

Dude are you serious??
Since when was a scion TC ever even mentioned in the same sentence as "performance"?
The Scion TC is a heavy pig made for those guys who like lambo doors, TVs and million speakers in their car. The civic SI is miles ahead of that thing.

You're comparing a base tC vs. the top Civic, the Si.

For less than the price of a Si, you can buy a (factory-backed) supercharged tC that is by far more fun, from my experience, than the Si.

Scion offers all sorts of performance mods for their cars, which makes them more "enthusiast-friendly", so to speak. That doesn't seem like a bad deal, when you don't have to worry about losing your warranty. Also, I'm only referring to the Tc, not those other two butt-ugly cars they have.

You may think they are "ricey" cars, but that's not Scion's fault, it's their customer. You're forgetting that Civic is still the king of riced-out, lambo-door, massive speaker and Xbox sporting automobiles.

Either way, I'm never gonna buy one or the other (for starters, I'm too tall). I'm just expressing my disappointment with Honda. They've forgot about us VTEC junkies... :(

The NSX is DEAD.

Not so fast, in a very hush hush press release the old American Honda president admitted they shouldn't have used the word cancelled but instead they should have said put on hold. The TSX diesel is offically dead, the TSX V6 is coming, along with the crossover SUV-mini ute to go betwwen the MDX and RDX. We have invested alot of money in R&D and development, to the the extent that prototype's were already shown at service seminars. The NSX will be produced, when...Im not sure but It is coming, so I've heard:biggrin:

Did I mention the TL 6 speed is coming back, yet again....so I've heard:wink::biggrin:

There must be some truth too all of this, I've heard 100% of the same as you mentioned and I'm on the other end of the country. In addition to the V6 3.5L 280hp TSX sedan, I've heard of a possible V6 TSX coupe and coupe convertable also a diesel RL.... and I concur, I've heard the NSX will be released at some point, but I've heard a redesigned body with the current v-10 tested...so I've heard :biggrin:

Not so fast, in a very hush hush press release the old American Honda president admitted they shouldn't have used the word cancelled but instead they should have said put on hold. The TSX diesel is offically dead, the TSX V6 is coming, along with the crossover SUV-mini ute to go betwwen the MDX and RDX. We have invested alot of money in R&D and development, to the the extent that prototype's were already shown at service seminars. The NSX will be produced, when...Im not sure but It is coming, so I've heard:biggrin:

Did I mention the TL 6 speed is coming back, yet again....so I've heard:wink::biggrin:

Last edited:
Back