NSX Could Be Revived

Yeah, and if pigs could fly...

Seems like there is still some hope. I guess they dont want all the millions of dollars they already put into R&D to go to waste.

Acura has set a press release for the Chicago auto show and according to Vtec.net it's not supposed to a sport crossover.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=812552

The NSX did debut at the Chicago auto show 20 years ago so who knows. Honda has given us so much bad news lately maybe this could be some good news. I'm not hopeful or negative I'll just wait and see. I don't think they should do anymore sportscars but they could use something sportier like a two door coupe. Oh well we'll see in a little less than two weeks I guess.

The shutdown of the project is more a market timing issue than a design issue if you ask me. If Honda spent that kind of money on R&D, they are not going to throw the project in the trash. I think 6spdterror is right- the project is in a drawer somewhere and will be dusted off and produced when the time is right. That time however is not now.

I am no longer affected by these Honda Jedi Mind Tricks.....:wink::tongue::biggrin:

I am no longer affected by these Honda Jedi Mind Tricks.....:wink::tongue::biggrin:

"Jedi mind tricks don't work on me............only money"
Lmao!

It will happen. Honda can still afford the NSX more than GM can afford the ZR-1.
Honda is just waiting for better times, like everyone else.
Gas will go through the roof too so green is still the way to go.

They keep crying wolf. This time the villagers won't care.

We should change this forum to "The car we will buy to replace our NSX, because Honda won't build one".

It will happen. Honda can still afford the NSX more than GM can afford the ZR-1.
Gas will go through the roof too so green is still the way to go.

While you are right about GM's financial state versus Honda, it is quite likely that the ZR-1 is profitable or break-even for GM, whereas the new NSX would likely be a big money loser for Honda. In 2008, GM sold 28,000 Vette's (33,000 in 2007) and the ZR-1 is built in the same factory with many/most of the same parts as the standard Vette. The ZR-1 piggybacks on the high volume of the base Vette.

A new NSX would likely be made in low volumes - perhaps a couple of thousand per year and would have to burden the entire cost for design, testing, tooling, suppliers, production line, etc. against those units.

If it were a matter of "better times" then why didn't Honda give us a new NSX in the 2001-2007 time frame? Market conditions for a high-performance car couldn't be much better (nor will they ever likely to be as good again). Gas was cheap. The green-movement was a fringe-issue. People were buying Ferraris and Porsches as fast as those companies could make them. Super-cars like the Enzo, Carrera GT, Zonda, Veyron, Saleen, etc. were coming to the market left and right. The HP war pushed 400, 500 and even 600 HP into "regular" cars like Mustangs, 3/5 Series BMWs, Audi 4/6 series, C/E/S class Benzes, etc.

If Honda didn't have it in them to create a high-HP car in the 2001-2007 timeframe, they will NEVER do it.

If it were a matter of "better times" then why didn't Honda give us a new NSX in the 2001-2007 time frame? Market conditions for a high-performance car couldn't be much better (nor will they ever likely to be as good again). Gas was cheap. The green-movement was a fringe-issue. People were buying Ferraris and Porsches as fast as those companies could make them. Super-cars like the Enzo, Carrera GT, Zonda, Veyron, Saleen, etc. were coming to the market left and right. The HP war pushed 400, 500 and even 600 HP into "regular" cars like Mustangs, 3/5 Series BMWs, Audi 4/6 series, C/E/S class Benzes, etc.

If Honda didn't have it in them to create a high-HP car in the 2001-2007 timeframe, they will NEVER do it.

Lol. Quite the pessimist are we?

Lol. Quite the pessimist are we?

Actually, I generally consider myself an optimist. An optimist looks for positive indicators and extrapolates a better future. A pessimist looks for negative indicators and extrapolates a worst future. A dillusionist takes negative indicates but still extrapolates a better future.

That will be a disaster. How much is this car going to be? Why would Honda want to compete with their own TL line?

The RDX engine with a little more boost will do just fine to keep the cost and weight down.

TL is a larger car so I doubt they'll be cross shopped. M3 sales don't eat up M5 sales so it won't make a dent. Don't know about price but probably mid $30's

LOL Dude you know Honda doesn't care for turbos ... you starting to sound like everyone else:wink:

TL is a larger car so I doubt they'll be cross shopped. M3 sales don't eat up M5 sales so it won't make a dent. Don't know about price but probably mid $30's

LOL Dude you know Honda doesn't care for turbos ... you starting to sound like everyone else:wink:

To me, the whole attraction of TSX is weight and balance. If Honda designed the car with V6 in mind, I'm OK with that, if they simply slapped the V6 into TSX to gain attraction, I think they will be very disappointed with the sales. What that does is Honda will be competing within their own line up with the Accord, TL, and TSX. Remember 1997 Accord when they slapped the old Legend engine into the car, it made that car underivable.

I'm not a turbo person, but with the efficiency of the Turbo and Honda reliability, I think they can do well with the marketing aspect of it. After all, RDX is not selling well and they can use the TSX to increase the production of that engine.

To me, the whole attraction of TSX is weight and balance. If Honda designed the car with V6 in mind, I'm OK with that, if they simply slapped the V6 into TSX to gain attraction, I think they will be very disappointed with the sales. What that does is Honda will be competing within their own line up with the Accord, TL, and TSX. Remember 1997 Accord when they slapped the old Legend engine into the car, it made that car underivable.

I'm not a turbo person, but with the efficiency of the Turbo and Honda reliability, I think they can do well with the marketing aspect of it. After all, RDX is not selling well and they can use the TSX to increase the production of that engine.

Vance I'm really surprised at you:frown: I know they've had problems with NSX replacement design but they've never been a add something w/o testing company.

The TSX has been out for less than a year so it had to have been designed with this engine in mind to start with. Why would Honda just last year during the fuel crisis have said "Let's put a bigger engine in the TSX while gas prices are high" That makes no sense.

This car will be going after the A4 V6 and BMW 328 which makes sense as from a size stand point the new TL is much bigger and has performance to match the 528i and E class with six cylinder engines.

Now that the hp wars are over most of those cars will be replaced with more fuel efficient sixes which is going to put them on a level that Honda has been tops at for years.

The only car whose redesign didn't make any sense was the RL being smaller and slower than the new TL but hopefully Honda will go Tier 1 and finally do something with that one to put it in LS , 7 and S class levels.

To me, the whole attraction of TSX is weight and balance.

Then they missed the mark. My TSX has balanced handling, but is sluggish. The K24 4-cyl just can't move 3500+ lbs in a sporty way. Believe me I tried. :biggrin: They either need to drop 500 lbs and keep the same engine or, like you said turbo it or go V6. Honda/Acuras are getting too big and bloated like the rest of the market. I prefer the 90's style cars, which were lightweight, sporty and fun to drive.

Last edited:
Well once production stopped of course the NSX was dead. The media were the ones calling the new car an NSX. Hondas new sports/GT will be back. They spent to much money on it to kill it completely and no since putting something out there at this point when just about everything is having a hard time selling.

Hondas pretty smart ( even though fans of their old stuff never stop complaining )plus they did manage to turn a profit whereas Nissan/Toyota both took heavy losses. So they must be selling cars and doing something right.

I think they'll end up putting something out to fill in the sports car slot. I don't believe they'll let Lexus and Toyota, or even Mazda cash-in on that market alone.

Back