NSX / CORVETTE, which is faster ?

I'm pretty sure the Corvette would take an NSX in a straight line. It's a V8 and as tons of torque. Bone stock my car ran a 13.1 @ 107 MPH in the 1/4, and with just an air intake, it ran a 12.9 @ 109 MPH, and with a torque converter it ran a 12.5 @ 112 MPH. So, with just 2 simple mods, it was running mid 12s.

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

In most of the magazine tests, the 0-60 times on the non-Z06 Corvette are similar to those of the '97+ NSX (usually 4.7 to 4.9).

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
In most of the magazine tests, the 0-60 times on the non-Z06 Corvette are similar to those of the '97+ NSX (usually 4.7 to 4.9).

True, but I think the Corvette would edge out from 60-120 MPH and beyond. Top-end on these cars is pretty good.

Which Corvette, the Rolex 24?

Which NSX, Adam's 1000 HP monster?

Sorry, couldn't resist to chime in one this timeless subject. Corvette owners like their American Iron and NSX owners like their Foreign Fitness. Big deal - there is always a faster car (regardless of make) out there somewhere.

Oh well, back to my trolling.
smile.gif

Here are a few quotes from the '98 Car and Driver article

"Second Place was a surprise"

"We expected the Corvette, with the second best power-to-weight ratio and the best aerodynamics to snatch the silver..."

"The NSX diced with the corvette to 130 before pulling decisively ahead to reach 150 mph two seconds in front of the Vette."

"Our low mileage Porsche was neither the fastest nor the slowest 911 we've tested. but it was no match for the rocket NSX!"

The 911's 10 second time from 140 to 150 mph; was five seconds longer than the NSX's.

8000RPM, thats great info. I must say I'm impressed.

-Awais

------------------

www.RacingFlix.com

I have ran a few times on the open road against a Vette (admittedly unsure about what model / mods, etc.), however I was bone stock, so that's one reference point.

I noticed that between 100-115 the Vette didn't hang, although once I hit 135, I backed off, then of course they flew right by me
wink.gif

This was in my '91 against some flavor of C5. Perhaps it was the gearing at a rolling start? 5 speed sprints to about 115 (or so) before the move to 4th..., this seemed to be where I would lose the Vette each time.

I am sure from a dead stop against a C5 I would likely get smoked though
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Jonathan:
I am sure from a dead stop against a C5 I would likely get smoked though
biggrin.gif

You shouldn't. It's just driver to driver on against a stock C5.
Like the article said they "diced" it out.
The launch is the big thing and on a NSX and it is harder than the C5 to get a good start. It's not what they had in mind when they made the NSX, street light dragging.
The NSX doesn't punch you in the gut when it goes, like a Vette but, it just climbs and climbs. (Reels them in)
It really depends a lot on the drivers.

I just got my 98 NSX a week ago and previous car was a 2000 vette and as happy as I was with the vette the NSX is just a different kinda beast and I LOVE it..!

Steve

Well I'll post my first hand experience.
My car: 1992 5spd, RM Exhaust, 112000 miles.
His car: Stock 2000 Vette
We were coming up I-10 through the construction area (only 2 lanes) with 2 semi's infront of us going about 35 mph.
The Corvette is leaving too much room in between him and the semi (in my opinion) so I start to ride his tail a little bit, he sees me, switches lanes, lets me pass but gives me a dirty look, so I'm like "whatever" then he gets right behind me and flashes his brights. So now I'm like, alright biotch you wanna go? The carpool lane is coming up as the third open lane and as soon as I get an opening I gun it and I hear him right behind me doing the same. We started about 40 mph, blew right past the semi's and kept going. He wasn't catching up, but he wasn't falling back either until I hit about 100 mph in third gear. I get into 4th and I kept going until 145 mph (Please don't lecture me...just sharing my experience and opinion, and yes it was late at night with minimal traffic). By this time he was about 7 car lengths back. I put my hazards on to let him know that I was done.
Then I wanted to see the look on his face so I slow down to about 80, he slows down too, so I slow down to about 60, he slows down too, then I actually go under the speed limit to about 45 to get him to finally pass me. He looks over and I'm smilin at him, he gives me a thumbs up and then speeds off. I yelled out, "Did ya get to read my plates?" Before he sped off, but I don't think he heard me.
I think a lot of people underestimate the power this car has at high speeds.
Maybe if it was from a stop it would have been a different story though. C5 is a nice car, but I would take the NSX over it any day, besides, atleast here in Phoenix, the most popular car would have to be C5 Vettes, everyone has them, I think it's cool to have something you don't see but maybe once a week on the road, not every 5 minutes.

FYI, the article that 8K referenced compared a late model 3.2L NSX COUPE(!) (i.e., lighter, more power/torque, and better gearing) to a C5 Corvette of similar vintage. Don't expect similarly good results with a stock or near stock pre-97 NSX.

Originally posted by Number9:
FYI, the article that 8K referenced compared a late model 3.2L NSX COUPE(!) (i.e., lighter, more power/torque, and better gearing) to a C5 Corvette of similar vintage. Don't expect similarly good results with a stock or near stock pre-97 NSX.

Well both the guys who listed their experiences above had pre -97 vehicles.

A pre-'97 3.0-liter 5-speed NSX should be faster than a pre-97 C4 Corvette if it's not a ZR-1. The ZR-1 would be faster than the NSX.

Originally posted by pbassjo:
Well both the guys who listed their experiences above had pre -97 vehicles.

Well, most non-Z06 C5s are automatics, so I wouldn't infer much from that. The particular NSX that was the subject of the article was the fastest ever tested by that mag (which they specifically noted) and did about 4.5s 0-060 and 1/4 in the 12s - hardly typical, even for late model NSXen. Unheard of in stock pre-97 NSXen.

My cousin is a Corvette dealer. He has a C4 with a Grand Sport engine that is faster then the C5 he has in inventory (both are MT).
You could take two cars, even Nsx's from the same build lot and one could be faster than the other. So this NSX had the fastest time. Same drivers and conditions as the other NSX tests?
By the way, I have owned 3 Vettes. The cars are so different (NSX-Vette)but the most important difference is in how you feel when you drive. For me, as for speed and acceleration, they have a completely different feel in how they put the power down.
The total package is so different.

Originally posted by pbassjo:
My cousin is a Corvette dealer. He has a C4 with a Grand Sport engine that is faster then the C5 he has in inventory (both are MT).... The cars are so different (NSX-Vette)but the most important difference is in how you feel when you drive. For me, as for speed and acceleration, they have a completely different feel in how they put the power down.
The total package is so different.

You can say that again!

My favorite Motor Trend quote of all time is about the C4 Corvette:

"The Corvette, for example, feels only loosely tied together, as if its various components aren't so much directly connected, as they are flying in close formation." Jeff Karr, Motor Trend, 1995

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

------------------
Get Boosted!
www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 17 October 2002).]

I have to admit Corvettes are awesome machines. I hav eto admit the Z06 is a beast of a machine but, its my understanding...I've heard this from other 'Vette owners that much more than 30 minutes straight on the track and the ranny blows. Hehehehe...I will take the NSX...

Originally posted by O-Ace:
I'm pretty sure the Corvette would take an NSX in a straight line. It's a V8 and as tons of torque. Bone stock my car ran a 13.1 @ 107 MPH in the 1/4, and with just an air intake, it ran a 12.9 @ 109 MPH, and with a torque converter it ran a 12.5 @ 112 MPH. So, with just 2 simple mods, it was running mid 12s.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/cd9808.htm

0-Ace this ones for you
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by spartan2-3:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/cd9808.htm

0-Ace this ones for you
biggrin.gif

I'm happy to read this kind of info since I'm getting an NSX as well
biggrin.gif

But in all honesty, I have yet to see an NSX run a 12.9 @ 110 in the 1/4 mile. I don't know how they did it, but that's one hell of a time from a stock NSX.

-Awais

------------------

www.RacingFlix.com

I took my NSX in to have the 30k service done at Niello. I had a few hours to burn, before I was to meet up with my girl friend for lunch, so I decided to look at some cars. There are many dealers around the area, I had stopped by a few when I saw the Hummer H2 I was kinda courious so I pulled in ( Niello gave me a loner car) and was checking out the H2, they are big and not my style, a salesmen walks up and askes what I think about the H2. Well he then asks if I want to look at some sports cars and I say sure. I didn't tell him that I owned a NSX, we walk over to the Corvettes. These are used Corvettes he explains that all 03's are all sold out and all they have are thses used ones. There are 4 2001 Z06 there
I start thinking what a great chance to see how good these ZO6 are. We go for a test drive in a white one with about 16K miles on it. I don't know that much about the Corvette
except that I had test drove one prior to buying my NSX almost 2 years ago and that was a rag top. Any way the first thing I notice is how the plastic trim is falling off around the drivers seat, salesman says don't worry about that they will fix it..what ever..we get started ok I was really hoping for and expecting some kinda of uncontrollable beast to come forth as soon I touched the gas pedal. Well I have to say I was disappionted,
I feel that my NSX has more pull in 1st and 2nd than the ZO6 does and I was trying it with and without the vehicle stability thingy on, I can't remember what is called, the pull in 3rd is pretty good. On the freeway the steering is not as quick as the NSX but not bad, the ride is a nother issue, comparing the two, my NSX is a much better ride. The corvette had many rattles and sqeeks and the suspension reminded me of how my 3/4 ton truck feels. I did not like the 6 speed transmission, shifting from 1st to 2nd seem to take for ever you have to move it so far and then agian to go into 3rd. I was expecting a nice short throw shifter. I felt that on the highway the Corvette had more pull in 6th then the NSX wich I guess should be expected. Over all I am glad to have my NSX and it drives so much nicer, what I feel is nicer, than the ZO6 does. I walked away from that salesman with a grin but not from the drive in the ZO6 but from knowing I don't have to drive a ZO6, I can drive a NSX. These are my views and my opinions and I am not trying to antagonize any owners of ZO6's they can say what they want about NSX's.

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

I have only been for a ride in a Z06, so I can't compare driving the two. However, just from my ride i thought it was REALLY LOUD! I had to yell just to talk to the guy next to me. Not cool, and not fun for an everyday driver IMO. It had plenty of power, but the interior materials are PATHETIC.

ALL in all, i'll keep my NSX
smile.gif

Back