NSX brake caliber Paint

I am getting ready to paint my calibers and not sure what brand of paint to use. They are aluminum. I read an article a few months ago about someone who upgraded his brakes on his NSX to a VW or Porsche setup and repainted the calibers. Anyone have the link? OR recommend a good paint?

Parts store. Advanced Auto Parts or AutoZone or the like.. they carry caliper paint.

do 2 -3 coats of the base color and then make sure to go over it 2-3 coats with a high temp clear coat.

also when you bleed the calipers. be careful of brake fluid, it will lift off the paint quickly.

no harsh chemical cleaners, just soap and a soft rag.

regards

Rob:smile:

Easiest thing to do is the get your caliper clean then just spray paint with Hi-heat exhaust manifold paint. Engine block paint will work too.

I cleaned my brakes with a Wire brush wheel attached to a drill. Then I just use glass cleaner. You should do this before you change your pads.

Last edited:
I heard good things about G2. Wal-Mart (in Canada at least) has a complete kit by Duplicolor. It comes in Blue, Red or Yellow. It contains the paint, brush, and some alcohol prep cleaner. Price is around $25 from what I remember and there's more than enough paint to do all 4 calipers.

I heard good things about G2. Wal-Mart (in Canada at least) has a complete kit by Duplicolor. It comes in Blue, Red or Yellow. It contains the paint, brush, and some alcohol prep cleaner. Price is around $25 from what I remember and there's more than enough paint to do all 4 calipers.

I used the blue dupli-color kit on my TL. There was WAY more than enough paint in that can. Even after 2 or 3 years it still looks pretty good too.

Keep in mind that if you have a Red car, don't use the Red G2 Paint, the red will never match the car and it will look a little off.
Just my .02

Really , what colour would you do for red nsx ?? I am doing this soon and can't decide . Either red or black is all I can think of , or am I lacking imagination .

Last edited:
I used this paint on 4 cars including Tony's NSX. No complaints here. The brake caliper specific paint also get the job done (tried both brushed on and spray type), just that the color is dull in comparison. Also you have far more color selections with Engine Enamel.

Both Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint formulas now contain ceramic resins for maximum heat dissipation and gloss retention. Developed and tested in the lab, Dupli-Color® Engine and High Heat Paints will perform to the most rigorous standards of racing and street rod enthusiasts.

Dupli-Color® Engine Enamel with Ceramic
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

4.jpg

Just bought the G2 Caliper paint (Silver) from SOS ... :D

I used this paint on 4 cars including Tony's NSX. No complaints here. The brake caliper specific paint also get the job done (tried both brushed on and spray type), just that the color is dull in comparison. Also you have far more color selections with Engine Enamel.

Both Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint formulas now contain ceramic resins for maximum heat dissipation and gloss retention. Developed and tested in the lab, Dupli-Color® Engine and High Heat Paints will perform to the most rigorous standards of racing and street rod enthusiasts.

Dupli-Color® Engine Enamel with Ceramic
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

4.jpg

NSXSUPRA, thanks for sharing. , I have a F-Red and I think this is the color that would best suit the F-red. What color is shown here in the photo? Do you have a step by step procedure for a newbie?

NSXSUPRA, thanks for sharing. , I have a F-Red and I think this is the color that would best suit the F-red. What color is shown here in the photo? Do you have a step by step procedure for a newbie?
That depends. There are so many colors to choose from. Gold, silver, gloss black, metallic gunmetal, etc........

I just did it again on my daily driver this afternoon. I tested both gloss black and gold, decided to go with gold again. Look at the picture, it really is that easy. Mask, paint, enjoy.:biggrin:

If you don't like the color, just repaint in another color.

I don't remember what I used on the NSX, but the color I used for the NSX is nicer looking of the two gold.

81.jpg

83.jpg

The color came out great again, just that damn Bimmer brakes calipers are ugly mofo. M6/M5 brake ain't too hot either.
59.jpg

Wow that looks great! I'm doing mine in gold sometime this week. I will be using the dupli-color gold like what you did. :smile:
You should use the Special Big Brake Cover! hehe
Brian,

I suggest using the one I used on NSX. It looks way better and almost never lose its shine.

Hehe, I seen the brake cover on one of the local owner's E92. It looks awesome. I stick my fingers behind the wheel and touch the caliper from behind when the owner was installing my window trim. I am not the type who would hurt others. I think he kinda knew. I just pretended I didn't know anything:biggrin:

The color I used yesterday is too light, more bronze than gold, look what happen after one day. Need to change the brake pads. The amount of brake dust from these pads are unbearable:mad:, it require more cleaning, the caliper paint is still shining underneth layer of brake dust:
86.jpg

90.jpg

Last edited:
can u suggest the color or the model # of the dupli color paint? I used the engine enamel gold DE 1604 Universal Gold. Is that the one u recommend? I saw it on Tony's car and it looked great. I will be doing it when i change out my pads.
Tony used the same paint I used on my nsx. Superautobacs have really nice selection of engine enamel at $4.99 each or dupli caliper specific paint at $5.99 each.

The gold I used on nsx probably were universal gold. Doing my friends IS250 in gold as well next week. Color with metallic will look good as well.

I will be sure to post some pics of mine when I paint it silver with the G2 paint I bought.

The thing I'm worried about though is that the calipers are rusted a little bit.

Whats the best way to remove the rust? I was thinking just hitting it with a dremel tool and a wire brush... any other ideas? I want it to be as clean as possible before I paint it. Thanks!

Wow that looks great! I'm doing mine in gold sometime this week. I will be using the dupli-color gold like what you did. :smile:
You should use the Special Big Brake Cover! hehe

Prospeed, What and where do you get this Cover? Is it for protection of the disc pads?

Nsxsupra, please advise what Duplicolor number or color (gold?)was used on the nsx in the photo.

Thanks guys.

"Really , what colour would you do for red nsx ?? I am doing this soon and can't decide . Either red or black is all I can think of , or am I lacking imagination "

3 yrs ago I used Charcoal / Black BBQ paint. Still looks great!:biggrin:

Prospeed, What and where do you get this Cover? Is it for protection of the disc pads?

Nsxsupra, please advise what Duplicolor number or color (gold?)was used on the nsx in the photo.

Thanks guys.

NSXSupra mentioned to me about the cover for the brakes. Ask Him. He might have a picture! =)

Another Question Jason... How many coats do you recommend? Thanks

Back