NSX brake caliber Paint

"Really , what colour would you do for red nsx ?? I am doing this soon and can't decide . Either red or black is all I can think of , or am I lacking imagination "

3 yrs ago I used Charcoal / Black BBQ paint. Still looks great!:biggrin:

I used silver paint.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice brakes! Just bought some VHT caliper paint, and am going to tackle this project tor turkey day. Did anyone buy primer? or just clean the brakes and start spraying?

I used the G2 paint you can get from SOS. Very happy with the way the calipers came out.

Attachments

• Brake job 032.jpg
    Brake job 032.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
+1 on the powdercoat. I tried the caliper paint but in my case the color I painted my calipers were yellow. The color would need "several" coats just to look somewhat decent and the time and effort to clean them was too much work for me. I would have had to buy maybe 3-4 paint kits and take the time to clean them to make it look right. I took the easy route and just powdercoated them.

No worries about the paint, if you are not any street, drag, or track racer, type of paint is not a problem, just use any better quality 2K paint, Glasurit or PPG are just fine. About the cleaning, if you are on the way to remove and disassemble whole calipers, sand blasting is the best option for cleaning, just keep in mind that you will need somehow to cover all vital parts such as cylinder, piston, nozzle openings.
I recently sand blasted mine, all rusty parts and bolts were zinc plated, and calipers were primered and refinished with 2K Standox (R77 Formula red) paint. This is not the first time for me to paint the calipers on this way, if you stay out from overheating and occasionally clean them they will be always like new.
I must mention that this type of work is not easy DIY, it takes a lot of time, money and of course steel nerves, but the result was pleasure...

DSC00199.JPG

DSC00201.JPG

DSC00206.JPG

DSC00222.JPG

Last edited:

just did mine over the thanksgiving weekend. Hardest part was all the prep work ensuring no overspray got on the car.
Clean the brakes.
VHT high temp primer about 2 coats.
VHT Caliper paint 4-5 coats.
i took the others' advice and used a painters marker for the NSX lettering.

I'll let you guys know how they hold up over time.

Re: NSX brake caliper Paint

I think the op meant "brake caliper paint." I had to paint my brake calipers because they were actually turning rusty. My mechanic said the paint had to be special and be able to withstand high temperatures. It cost me $500 including labor and he gave me a 1 year warranty. The color was red. It does not match my Formula 1 R-77 red as it is a little darker, but I do not really care. It is shady in the wheel rim anyways and it does not make much difference.

Re: NSX brake caliper Paint

I think the op meant "brake caliper paint." I had to paint my brake calipers because they were actually turning rusty. My mechanic said the paint had to be special and be able to withstand high temperatures. It cost me $500 including labor and he gave me a 1 year warranty. The color was red. It does not match my Formula 1 R-77 red as it is a little darker, but I do not really care. It is shady in the wheel rim anyways and it does not make much difference.

:confused: isn't that what this entire thread is about? lol

I have just taken the same path with VHT Base, colour and clear coat system good for 900 degrees.

There's some before and after pics, even though they're not finished yet, I think they'll come out just as good as powder coating in the end.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140699&page=4

I've never done something like this before, so I'm glad they seem to be coming along OK.

I'm just waiting for some other stuff so I can get them finished at the end of next week, so I'll post the finished item pics.

Last edited:
Heres my setup. I used g2 caliper paint for that cool 02+ look

100_1486.JPG

100_1490.JPG

02-08-08_1940.jpg

It looks like you sprayed everything with paint....clips, backside of brake pads, etc. Does this look good or would it look better if you took everything apart and only painted the calipers themselves?

That depends. There are so many colors to choose from. Gold, silver, gloss black, metallic gunmetal, etc........

I just did it again on my daily driver this afternoon. I tested both gloss black and gold, decided to go with gold again. Look at the picture, it really is that easy. Mask, paint, enjoy.:biggrin:

If you don't like the color, just repaint in another color.

I don't remember what I used on the NSX, but the color I used for the NSX is nicer looking of the two gold.

81.jpg

83.jpg

The color came out great again, just that damn Bimmer brakes calipers are ugly mofo. M6/M5 brake ain't too hot either.
59.jpg

With or without painting, these are the nicest NSX calipers I've ever seen. Well done, sir.

No worries about the paint, if you are not any street, drag, or track racer, type of paint is not a problem, just use any better quality 2K paint, Glasurit or PPG are just fine. About the cleaning, if you are on the way to remove and disassemble whole calipers, sand blasting is the best option for cleaning, just keep in mind that you will need somehow to cover all vital parts such as cylinder, piston, nozzle openings.
I recently sand blasted mine, all rusty parts and bolts were zinc plated, and calipers were primered and refinished with 2K Standox (R77 Formula red) paint. This is not the first time for me to paint the calipers on this way, if you stay out from overheating and occasionally clean them they will be always like new.
I must mention that this type of work is not easy DIY, it takes a lot of time, money and of course steel nerves, but the result was pleasure...

DSC00199.JPG

DSC00201.JPG

DSC00206.JPG

DSC00222.JPG

With or without painting, these are the nicest NSX calipers I've ever seen. Well done, sir.

Many thanks Russ, you should see the other suspension parts.....:wink:

So I promise this will be the last brake picture for a while till I get them on the car :D

I had a bit of a disaster yesterday when I was painting the final 2 coats of high temp clear........ they were all painted and looking great....... better than I'd hoped and so I left them outside to dry in the hot sun for a few hours when an hour later I heard some very heavy metal objects hit concrete....... !!!!

Yep you guessed it, the metal corded line I had hung them on to paint had snapped and they were all on the ground !! :( luckily for me because of the way I'd hung them they fell onto their bottoms and they had taken paint off back to the base, but not too bad and so I had to sand back those area's and repaint the red and clear in those area's even though no one will see them, I wanted them to be perfect.

After all painting was done, I baked them as per the instructions for 1 hour at 230F

P2030124.jpg

P2040125.jpg

P2040126.jpg

P2040127.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the final result....... even up close the finish is great. Time consuming, but worth it.

Back