"Normal" oil pressure?

I've only owned the car a week, but the previous owner said it was about time to change the oil. He said he put Amsoil synthetic in it...

Anyway, I have Mobile 1 10W30 in there now, and my oil pressure seems significantly higher now than it did when the Amsoil was in it.

Oil pressure was reading about 0.5-1 kg/cm^2 when idle, now it is more like 1.2.

At 3000 rpm, it used to read about 3.5, now it reads more like 5 kg/cm^2.

Now, at higher rpms, I've seen it go as high as 6... I have 5.3 quarts of oil it in, just like the spec is.

So, my question is - perhaps the previous owner had 5w30 in it? Shouldn't matter once the engine is at operating temp though, 10w30 and 5w30 should have the same viscosity at temp...

What does everyone else's gauge normally read at 80-90 mph? Does it get as high as 5-6 and stay there until redline?

By the way, I searched for this, and some threads came up. I've read through them... but none of them really answered my questions... anyone had a large change in pressure after changing oil? As far as I can tell, my oil level was not low when I changed it out... so that shouldn't be it.

Last edited:
The factory oil pressure gauge is notorious for strange and inconsistent readings. The usual culprit is a failing sender unit, which can read right one day and be totally wacked the next day. Thus, comparing readings on the OEM dash gauge isn't a good way to determine of you have an oil issue. SOS sells a kit to fix this problem.

The only way to know for sure is to hook up a real oil pressure gauge to the engine and test it. The service manual says you should have 10 psi at idle and 50 psi at 3000 rpm. Oil pressure can go as high as 90 psi under high-rpm operation.

I've only owned the car a week, but the previous owner said it was about time to change the oil. He said he put Amsoil synthetic in it...

Anyway, I have Mobile 1 10W30 in there now, and my oil pressure seems significantly higher now than it did when the Amsoil was in it.

Oil pressure was reading about 0.5-1 kg/cm^2 when idle, now it is more like 1.2.

At 3000 rpm, it used to read about 3.5, now it reads more like 5 kg/cm^2.

Now, at higher rpms, I've seen it go as high as 6... I have 5.3 quarts of oil it in, just like the spec is.

So, my question is - perhaps the previous owner had 5w30 in it? Shouldn't matter once the engine is at operating temp though, 10w30 and 5w30 should have the same viscosity at temp...

What does everyone else's gauge normally read at 80-90 mph? Does it get as high as 5-6 and stay there until redline?

By the way, I searched for this, and some threads came up. I've read through them... but none of them really answered my questions... anyone had a large change in pressure after changing oil? As far as I can tell, my oil level was not low when I changed it out... so that shouldn't be it.

For starters if you are reading of the stock gauge, don't trust a damn thing you see. Those things are awful.

Running RYP 10w30 I see just under 2.0bar at idle (850rpm) and just over 6.0bar cruising on my Greddy set.

Last edited:
Okay, well I'm glad that its not just me that finds it strange....

There is a chance I was low on oil before, and I just didn't notice because the guy filled it up right before I bought it and I haven't checked the oil level in a week. We'll see how it performs.

Thanks guys.

Probably one reason why they took oil pressure gauges out of the cars these days, people just thought too much about it and it didn't matter :smile:

Back