Nonhybrid NSX Possible

look at how fragile kers is and was in f1..I don't think it could be affordably implimented in a street car....I could be wrong.

I hear what you're saying about dead weight but wouldn't the argument be the same for the P1, 918, and LaFerrari? I have a harder time imagining companies like McLaren, Ferrari, and Porsche making hyper exotics that don't perform on the track than a "green oriented" company like Honda. A hybrid high mpg sports car would at least somewhat coincide with Honda's other goals and cars wouldn't it? Are we sure the system wouldn't regenerate enough to be useful? What if the regular NSX get's the hybrid system and the Type R is the only one meant for track duty and has something like the 918 RSR's "fly wheel accumulator" for storing energy, in other words the R get's the KERS system and the NSX gets the Prius 50 MPGs?

This flywheel accumulator is an electric motor whose rotor rotates at up to 36,000 rpm to store rotation energy. Charging occurs when the two electric motors on the front axle reverse their function during braking processes and operate as generators. At the push of a button, the pilot is able to call up the energy stored in the charged flywheel accumulator and use it during acceleration or overtaking manoeuvres. The flywheel is braked electromagnetically in this case in order to additionally supply up to 2 x 75 kW, i.e. a total of 150 kW, from its kinetic energy to the two electric motors on the front axle.

2011-porsche-918-rsr-concept_100336567_l.jpg
looks like a warp core...

those cars you mentioned can have f1 type systems because they are hyper cars..not a mass produced sports car at a 120k price point.

also the reliability is going to be the question, this is not Prius or some ordinary car driven 99,99% at the sane speeds

I guess it will not be DIY friendly too

You guys forget that Porsche has already put this tech in the GT3 RS and put it on the track. Believe me if Porsche can do it so can Honda! Everything we've heard says hybrid - cost - since when did Honda care about that when they were producing a few hundred NSXs back in 2003 and later till they stopped. They don't advertise enough and talk up anything enough - they are crummy advertisers for their NSX but maybe, just maybe they'll do something really cool and surprise us. Hybrid cars are the wave and will be for a while. Get used to it. I think it's a great statement for a flagship car! Just like the 918 Spyder - I hope it knocks everything on it's ass!

Back