Nonhybrid NSX Possible

I was reading Automobile Magazine (one of my favorite subscriptions) and spotted this little blurb. I found a link to it online for your enjoyment

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-cars-to-watch-in-the-next-24-months-092139044.html

A nonhybrid 450 hp rear wheel drive version with a six or seven speed manual would be my preferrence over the hybrid. Less HP but maybe more fun and a lower price. Maybe we'll see but don't hold your breath. It's supposed to be a halo car.

That could be interesting. 370 hp - well I bet they could wring a little more out of that with more revs. So if they do something like that without hybrid - it could be pretty cool. You know a lot of folks think that the car at only 370 hp would be a weak thrill but when I was driving my 3.0 91 model - I had a damn hard time exploring that car on the road - other than on a highway on ramp which is really not the fun of the car. The real fun of the car is on a twisty road in the out back and anyone that can "explore the limits" like that is a REAL race car driver. Otherwise it's just someone that "thinks he is" trying to keep the car under control and not kill himself or someone else! 370 hp is a pile of hp in a car weighing around 3000 lbs! It's more than folks get out of their super charged 3.0s now. So why is it that everyone wants 500 hp? I mean what would you do with it if you had it? I doubt many here would be ready to take their $100k+ car out to the track and risk wrecking it any more than they would their brand new GT3!

My 2 cents...

Coming from SC'd NSX's and into 997 turbos... trust me, you want at least 500hp..

I should have turned the page! I read most of that article in my Dr.'s office this morning but didn't finish it. What comes to mind is the mind boggling amount of HP slated to be put out in 2013 and 2014. A 4 banger mercedes 2.0 with 350hp, 500hp z28, BMW M4 that looks bad ass. Heck there is going to be a budget McLaren out next year.

If the NSX is going to be a halo car, it damn well better be able to out track a 50k Camaro z28. 450 crank hp and 3000lb weight is the absolute starting point for a halo car.

If it were me designing the car, I'd build a motor capable of 125hp/litre 9000 rpm screamer, match that to a 8 speed dual clutch paddle trans, go with AWD, ceramic rotors, aluminum everywhere, and wrap it in a sub 3000lb package all with a useable coffee cup holder! Comparable on the track to a GT3, 1/4 mile times like the GTR and seroius wow factor when you valet at the Capital Grill!

I should have turned the page! I read most of that article in my Dr.'s office this morning but didn't finish it. What comes to mind is the mind boggling amount of HP slated to be put out in 2013 and 2014. A 4 banger mercedes 2.0 with 350hp, 500hp z28, BMW M4 that looks bad ass. Heck there is going to be a budget McLaren out next year.

If the NSX is going to be a halo car, it damn well better be able to out track a 50k Camaro z28. 450 crank hp and 3000lb weight is the absolute starting point for a halo car.

If it were me designing the car, I'd build a motor capable of 125hp/litre 9000 rpm screamer, match that to a 8 speed dual clutch paddle trans, go with AWD, ceramic rotors, aluminum everywhere, and wrap it in a sub 3000lb package all with a useable coffee cup holder! Comparable on the track to a GT3, 1/4 mile times like the GTR and seroius wow factor when you valet at the Capital Grill!

Yeah, 420-450 hp should be reasonable from the Honda V6. Porsche and Ferrari threw their gauntlets down with their 125 hp/L engines. If this happened back in the old days, then Honda would really be pushing 130 hp/liter.

Recharging the batteries to power 3 motors will probably sap some extra power from the crank so I am willing to bet 110-120hp/L is more likely, which is why I'd say 420-450.

Let's just recap and one of the main reasons the Nsx didn't do well in later years.

1. Horsepower trends
2. Styling vs other competitors

People usually buy cars for handling, style, value, and speed. There's just to much competition nowadays to be lacking in any of those departments.

Everything is really subjective but truthfully a car that's going to be a certain amount of money usually has a certain amount of hp since its "industry standard". The more hp the better the selling point.

Some say that 400whp is enough. Well it may be. But I bet if you put 600 it'll sell a lot more or at least appeal and start the buzz more.

Would you rather hear "the new Nsx has roughly 400hp but it handles like a dream and you'll hardly ever push it to the limits"

Or

"the new Nsx has over 600hp and can keep up with some of the cars twice it's price point in style, handling, and acceleration, keeping true to the original but adding the extra quickness that plagued the original in later years".

Do you guys know how many people tell me they think the new NSX is out already? Super Bowl ads 3 years before production is a strange action. And am I the only one tired of speculating and guessing? I almost want to ignore these threads now until there is some real news. So we have to guess for 2 more years? Has anyone else done this? Talked about a car at a point where it's nothing but imagination? I'm going to make a car too, 2500 pound hybrid with 700 horsepower and it can also fly... I'll have it ready by 2092.

I heard the new NSX is going to be the first car even with Adamantium connecting rods.

Do you guys know how many people tell me they think the new NSX is out already? Super Bowl ads 3 years before production is a strange action. And am I the only one tired of speculating and guessing? I almost want to ignore these threads now until there is some real news. So we have to guess for 2 more years? Has anyone else done this? Talked about a car at a point where it's nothing but imagination? I'm going to make a car too, 2500 pound hybrid with 700 horsepower and it can also fly... I'll have it ready by 2092.

From what was told and read when I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s, we were supposed have flying cars by now. What happened....I want my 2500 lb 700 hp flying car!

I heard the new NSX is going to be the first car even with Adamantium connecting rods.

sweet reference......nsX.......btw If they(honda) can just build on why the nsx is so coveted now and why the s2000 was and is still popular and appeal to our american affection for hp and get the green light to build it......some of us will dam near pass out.

so much for follow through...and iron man 3, back to the R8

By the time it comes out, it will be played out already.

I would rather NOT see non-hybrid NSX.

NSX = New Sports Xperimental

if you wanna lower weight with less power, go buy an Lotus Elise or perhaps Mazda Miata

- - - Updated - - -

Like it or not, hybrids are the future of supercar

Lexus LF-LC
lflcblue10.jpg

Lexus-LF-LC-Blue-Concept-rear-quarter.jpg

Lexus_LFLC_Concept_017.jpg

Acura NSX
detroit-2013-acura-nsx-concept-011.jpg

detroit-2013-acura-nsx-concept-007.jpg

detroit-2013-acura-nsx-concept-013.jpg

Infiniti Emerg-E
Infiniti%20Emerg-E%20Concept%20Displayed%20at%20Pebble%20Beach%202012%20002.jpg

2012-infiniti-emerg-e-11.jpg

Infiniti-Emerg-E-concept-leak-interior.jpg

Porsche 918
Porsche-918-Spyder.jpg

porsche-918-spyder-geneva-2010-03.jpg

2014-Porsche-918-Spyder-interior1.jpg

BMW i8
2012_bmw_i8_concept_spyder_8_1920x1080.jpg

BMW-i8-Spyder-Concept-Left-Rear-Angle-Driving-1024x640.jpg

2011_bmw_i8_concept_83_1280x960.jpg

Jaguar CX75
jaguar-c-x75-75.jpg

Jaguar-CX-75-concept-2010-4.jpg
'
jaguar-c-x75-74.jpg

LaFerrari
Ferrari-LaFerrari-Top.jpg

8057974.jpg

laferrari06.jpg

Last edited:
By 2092 700 hp will not be enough hp to be competitive to other cars, besides who will actually be driving by then:wink:

I am surprised none of you are asking why there may be a non-hybrid model.

I think its obvious( to me) that the hybrid powertrain would not function 100% at a racetrack....after 1 session the battery pack/motors would be dead weight.

Do you know the answer? The obvious would be cost, second reason would be the track as doc said... Is this the Type R?

I think its obvious( to me) that the hybrid powertrain would not function 100% at a racetrack....after 1 session the battery pack/motors would be dead weight.

but Toyota, Audi, Peugeot are using hybrid for their LM cars.
also F1 machines are equipped with KERS...

are they really that useless?

Back