Nissan GTR team watching

Well this should be nice for all those so concerned about NSX 2.0 being able to compete against the GTR

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/gt-r/next-generation-nissan-gt-r-on-track-for-2018.html

Sources close to the company say the GT-R team is watching the development of the soon-to-be-introduced Acura NSX closely, especially after Honda insiders revealed that their hybrid-powered sports car will lap the Nürburgring faster than the GT-R. Nissan's keen interest in the Acura NSX also indicates that a hybrid version of the GT-R is a distinct possibility.

When asked about the upcoming Porsche 918 Spyder, which also features hybrid technology, Mizuno didn't seem very impressed.

Man, I'm telling you guys, electric motors powering the front wheels is going to be killer. The GT-R would need some serious diff engineering (a version of SH-AWD) to make the electric power attractive.

Man, I'm telling you guys, electric motors powering the front wheels is going to be killer. The GT-R would need some serious diff engineering (a version of SH-AWD) to make the electric power attractive.

+1 I have been saying this for 2 years now. Electric will eventually replace turbos as a power adder- this is Honda's whole concept. 100% instant torque that can be modulated perfectly by a computer, and zero emissions. The new NSX is going to be a ripper, especially if they can hit sub-3000 lbs, which I think they can.

proof of this can already be seen in the Tesla Model S. Motor Trend tested one and it put up great numbers, especially considering it wasn't intended to be a sports car.

I saw the nod about the GTR team watching the NSX development closely on Autoblog and this makes me even more excited. We tend to get disenchanted at times, but we should definitely not count Honda out. When they put their minds to something, they succeed.

I think the new NSX should be faster than or at least comparable to the GTR in order to be taken seriously. The comparisons will be inevitable and it would be embarrassing if the GTR smoked it. Having said that, I agree that electric motors could be awesome, if done properly and with minimal weight increase.

WoodyWoodpecker15titleheadPops.png

Honcho,
I have 2 problems with your post.

1) Zero emissions. I guess mining lead or lithium has no adverse effects on our planet. When you charge your battery at home, your power company is using coal, nat gas or nuclear.

2) Porsche just built a $800k supercar, the weight was about the same as a GTR. No way NSX 2.0 can be anywhere close to 3000lbs unless it's the size of a s2k.

+1 I have been saying this for 2 years now. Electric will eventually replace turbos as a power adder- this is Honda's whole concept. 100% instant torque that can be modulated perfectly by a computer, and zero emissions. The new NSX is going to be a ripper, especially if they can hit sub-3000 lbs, which I think they can.

Interesting news. As a guy who straddles both the NSX and GTR worlds this kind of news makes me giddy.

Maybe I should hold off on buying a new car....

Honcho,
I have 2 problems with your post.

1) Zero emissions. I guess mining lead or lithium has no adverse effects on our planet. When you charge your battery at home, your power company is using coal, nat gas or nuclear.

2) Porsche just built a $800k supercar, the weight was about the same as a GTR. No way NSX 2.0 can be anywhere close to 3000lbs unless it's the size of a s2k.

1) Obviously there is no such thing as zero emissions for any industrial product in this world. One tool or another will have a footprint. The factories for the conventional engines also needs resources from mines which uses those fossil fuels so that argument is weak. The idea is that this car goes 100K-200K or more miles with close to zero emissions vs. a conventional engine's footprint for the same mileage. However, for a car like the NSX where it most likely will not be driven much by 80-90% of the buyers would make the extra efforts seem wasteful, but then again, the argument for any sports car preserved in a garage would then be deemed wasteful. I suppose it is a challenge for all owners to daily drive their car! :redface:

2) Check out all of the hybrids like the Prius, Insight, ILX or Civic hybrid. They are all larger than the NSX or 918 and they weigh in at ~3000 lbs, not 3500 or 4000 lbs. It's not impossible if they can get these larger sedans/hatches to weigh 3000 lbs. I suppose Porsche used double duty batteries...

"Honda insiders revealed that their hybrid-powered sports car will lap the Nürburgring faster than the GT-R." Anybody know is there any article that revise these? Is there any exact number of the lap time?

"Honda insiders revealed that their hybrid-powered sports car will lap the Nürburgring faster than the GT-R." Anybody know is there any article that revise these? Is there any exact number of the lap time?

Exact number? Car's not even built yet. I also am the most surprised and the most skeptical of this statement. If it's true, I will bow down and kiss Honda's feet besides buying one.

Exact number? Car's not even built yet. I also am the most surprised and the most skeptical of this statement. If it's true, I will bow down and kiss Honda's feet besides buying one.

I also think this may be more rumor than truth. Sure, the prototype mule may already have proved to be very fast and promising and that is where the source lies. I personally think it is a enthusiastic press that is starting hype to get Honda to adhere to certain expectations. It may be a good thing, it may be a bad thing.

I personally don't care what the Ring time is as long as it can compete with the GTR and market overall. It's cool and fun bragging rights, but the closest I will come to driving it on the Ring would most likely be a Gran Turismo game. So it really bears no stake for me, considering it more marketing fluff propelled by a professional driver with multiple tries vs real world numbers.

I'm not sure there is a third party validated story outside of the linked site that categorically states beating the GT-R is Honda's performance desire w/ the new NSX. However, the fact that the head of the GT-R program is concerned about the new NSX and what Honda's goal is (likely communicated within the engineering community) has a ring of truth to it.

Make no mistake, the engineers from each company are intensely competitive and want the bragging rights of being quicker around the 'Ring.

N Spec, don't sell yourself short! I went to the Nurburgring a couple of months ago, never thought I'd be there, and it was an awesome experience. AND...it's only $1500 to ship your car there (Atlanta to Bremen).

What I would like to know is how to they figured the new NSX will lap the Nurburgring faster than the current GTR, have they done testing already?

Of course, if it is true, it will be the most encouraging story up to date.

I also think this may be more rumor than truth. Sure, the prototype mule may already have proved to be very fast and promising and that is where the source lies. I personally think it is a enthusiastic press that is starting hype to get Honda to adhere to certain expectations. It may be a good thing, it may be a bad thing.

I personally don't care what the Ring time is as long as it can compete with the GTR and market overall. It's cool and fun bragging rights, but the closest I will come to driving it on the Ring would most likely be a Gran Turismo game. So it really bears no stake for me, considering it more marketing fluff propelled by a professional driver with multiple tries vs real world numbers.

On 'Ring times being fluff--it may not be meaningful to everyone, but I think the testing does make for a better car in the end. If a car drives well at the 'Ring, it can handle very difficult extremes of weight transfer and vertical load whilst being stable and confident to drive. Then when you're going around Sears Point, you'll say, "wow, my new 2015 NSX handles great even on these crazy off camber hilly corners!" The very best cars are the ones when you dig very deep into their performance, they get better and better. To do that, you have to test at extreme places. A very disappointing thing to read is "The car is excellent up to 80% of the limit. Once you push it, the handling breaks down into an unsorted mess."

If you are developing a car and you don't want to test at the ring, then your company will have to instead make a track like Tochigi Proving Grounds to test at, at great expense.

Last edited:
On 'Ring times being fluff--can you name any excellent and fast high end cars that have really bad 'Ring times? It does bear a stake for all of us, because if a car drives well at the 'Ring, it can handle very difficult extremes of weight transfer and vertical load whilst being stable and confident to drive. Then when you're going around Sears Point, you'll say, "wow, my new 2015 NSX handles great even on these crazy off camber hilly corners!" The very best cars are the ones when you dig very deep into their performance, they get better and better. To do that, you have to test at extreme places. A very disappointing thing to read is "The car is excellent up to 80% of the limit. Once you push it, the handling breaks down into an unsorted mess."

If you are developing a car and you don't want to test at the ring, then your company will have to instead make a track like Tochigi Proving Grounds to test at, at great expense.

I'm not sure what you are asking me?

But I was speaking about it in terms of most owners never seeing the track, but owners and dreamers are so gungho about the advertised time. I'm not downplaying the feat. I said it's fun to brag and also very assuring that your vehicle is capable of such a thing. But how many owners will actually traverse the track and then do sub 7:30 secs let alone 8 minutes? Forums break into "which is better" wars simply based on track times for the "Ring"... I personally find the track to be more of a proving grounds for a driver more than the car IMO.

Also, there were third parties that did their own testing for the top vehicles that claimed such low numbers (and for vehicles that had no record) and they could not reach the claimed numbers at all, even with their own professional/veteran drivers. There were all about 10-15 seconds off. It just shows that the advertised records are a result of a lot of rented track time from the manufacturer so they can manicure the target time and put it on display. It is the result of mental endurance matched with unlimited resources rather than actual proof that car A is better than car B. This is the fluff that I speak of, like what they do to male genitalia before they go on display :rolleyes:

If honda has figured out how to keep the batteries fully charged to make those front wheels pull around the ring at all corners,then the new car will be groundbreaking.

N Spec, don't sell yourself short! I went to the Nurburgring a couple of months ago, never thought I'd be there, and it was an awesome experience. AND...it's only $1500 to ship your car there (Atlanta to Bremen).

That's actually not bad. I know you will never forget the event. Honestly, I would still probably never do it, unless it involved me renting or borrowing another car. Third option is if I won the lottery or a designated date for my death. I would be too afraid to wreck my own car... :redface:

I am still haunted by the memories trying to achieve the 7:29 record trophy for the GTR in Arcade mode for GT5. I don't even dare to count how many hours I endured for that trophy. It was not as easy as Nissan claimed it to be, atleast for me anyways. I had a new appreciation for the dispute from Porsche for Nissan's advertised time after my very own bouts of countless failures.

I know it is a simulation, but it just goes to show that with unlimited tries and enough persistence, any mortal could achieve a low enough time. I was averaging 7:38-7:45 for a long time until I started cutting corners literally without being disqualified or wrecking. Interestingly enough, my average times were about the lap time Autobild (7:43) achieved in real life testing for the GTR. Porsche also claimed times around that mark also I believe. Perhaps their drivers was as mediocre as me? :biggrin: Eerily accurate numbers for a driving simulator, I would say...

What I would like to know is how to they figured the new NSX will lap the Nurburgring faster than the current GTR, have they done testing already?

Of course, if it is true, it will be the most encouraging story up to date.

Today's computer simulation software is that good! I'm sure the engineer's have been pouring over their bytes for a long time now. Of course the proof is always in the eating of a pudding, so it will be interesting to see what it can actually do :)

Well said Glen.There is absolutely no corelation between the real thing and PS3GT5. Have driven well over 100 laps at the Ring and God knows how many laps on PS3. Totally different thing. As you may know, the GTR team was working very closely with Polyphony for the car functions display yet they developped the real thing on the track. Not even the Nissan proving grounds in AZ (7 miles oval with extensive infield) was used. The Ring offers every concievable performance driving scenarios and is now crucial in sports car development.

As to the mysterious NSX hybrid lapping the Ring, i would venture to say that is very unlikely.Every hotel, gas station and restaurant owners within a 50km radius of the Ring is "instructed" to pick up the phone and call the auto press as soon as a manfacturer brings a suspicious looking,prototype to the area. And then there are people who make a living monitoring the Ring on OEM-booked days.

As to Nissan making a hybrid GTR, aint going to happen. 4 years of sales, especially in the US have shown a buyer demographic that will not work with anything Green. Majority of GTR owners sport multiple tatoos and own elevated black pickup trucks ( not me:biggrin:) And then there is this:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index...ere-do-you-keep-it-while-driving/page__st__40

I dont think these typical GTR owners would touch a hybrid with a 10 foot pole.:smile:

Last edited:
Back