• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nifty food ideas that we would like to share

Gazpacho Recipe

Ingredients
6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 purple onion, finely chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (omit for vegetarian option)
4 cups tomato juice
Method
Combine all ingredients. Blend slightly, to desired consistency. Place in non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing flavors to blend.

Serves 8.

ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH PEPPERS AND BALSAMIC ONIONS

1 pork tenderloin, about 3/4 pound (herb or lemon-garlic marinated, if available; check the meat section of your grocery store)

1 medium onion, quartered

1 1/2 c mixed chopped peppers (from Monday's lunch)

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 450˚F. In a baking dish, toss together the pork, onion, peppers, garlic, oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the tenderloin (to an internal temperature of 150˚F, if using a thermometer). Enjoy half the pork and vegetables tonight, and save the rest -- storing both together in a sealed container -- for lunch tomorrow. (If you want a bigger, meal, prepare 1/4 cup of instant brown rice, measured dry. It'll add 170 calories, 4 g protein, 36 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, and 2 g fiber to the nutrition information below.)

350 calories, 37 g protein, 12 g carbohydrates, 17 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 2 g fiber

The next day's lunch

ROASTED PORK WRAP

1/2 Tbsp sun-dried-tomato pesto

1/2 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise

1 whole-wheat tortilla

2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese

Vegetables and pork tenderloin, thinly sliced (from Thursday's dinner)

Combine the pesto and mayonnaise, mixing them together in a small bowl, and spread over the tortilla. Layer the cheese, pork slices, and leftover vegetables on top, and wrap it up.

480 calories, 48 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat (5 g saturated), 3 g fiber

My (soon to be) wife loves to create food dishes. I have gained at least 10 lbs since we started dating, I can vouch for many of her recipes.

www.cookoutloud.com.

Following a recipie is easy. Creating a recipe is hard.

Miner

I don't think following a recipe is as easy as you state unless you're reading the back of the can or the bottom of the package before you place it the microwave. How often have you prepared a fairly complicated recipe only to discover that you're missing some of the ingredients? Now what? You have to use your cooking skills and determine what can replace that ingredient. What about when you're cooking and you think you can do better than the recipe ingredients because of your cooking skills and substitute ingredients? Try to fix some of the meals in "Food and Wine" and you'll discover following a "simple" recipe isn't that easy. it's not about reading the writing and doing the measuring, it's also about cooking skills, preparation, quality of ingredients and presentation. Think about it, if it's just about following a recipe there would be no great restaurants only good restaurants. JMHO

I don't think following a recipe is as easy as you state unless you're reading the back of the can or the bottom of the package before you place it the microwave. How often have you prepared a fairly complicated recipe only to discover that you're missing some of the ingredients? Now what? You have to use your cooking skills and determine what can replace that ingredient. What about when you're cooking and you think you can do better than the recipe ingredients because of your cooking skills and substitute ingredients? Try to fix some of the meals in "Food and Wine" and you'll discover following a "simple" recipe isn't that easy. it's not about reading the writing and doing the measuring, it's also about cooking skills, preparation, quality of ingredients and presentation. Think about it, if it's just about following a recipe there would be no great restaurants only good restaurants. JMHO

Doug,

Roger that. I can bake with the best of them, and baking is very straightforward, and at times very methodical. Fresh flour, fresh eggs, measure precisely and use a good oven.

As you describe, being able to deviate or substitute from a recipe is a special skill. My sweetie is very good at that.

Miner

Doug,

Roger that. I can bake with the best of them, and baking is very straightforward, and at times very methodical. Fresh flour, fresh eggs, measure precisely and use a good oven.

As you describe, being able to deviate or substitute from a recipe is a special skill. My sweetie is very good at that.

Miner

Sounds good Mark. What time is dinner.:wink:

Like all great chefs I dont give away all my secrets.

Bourbon marinated chicken:

Drink one 8 oz. glass of bourbon. Call out for chicken. I like to get fried chicken, but you may have better results with barbecued or teriyaki.

ha! ha! :biggrin: "Can it core a apple?" "Oh yes it KEN ....... o chef of da future!" :biggrin:

Seriously:

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew

6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed of fat
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into spears
1/2 pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 large shallots, peeled and halved
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Nutrition Info Per Serving

Calories: 415 kcal
Carbohydrates: 47 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 22 g
Sugars: 11 g

Cooking Directions

Place chicken, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender.
Go wash the NSX, have a couple of shots and a few beers and watch the soccer game for about five hours. Before serving, remove bones from the chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.

Something I found very simple and very good.

Corn on the Cob w/Lime

1) Nuke corn in microwave until steaming hot. Don't over do it. No boiling in water = the sugars didn't melt away in the water
2) Rub hot cob with lime wedges
3) Sprinkle salt all over. It'll stick to the lime juice well. I prefer sea salt, but table salt will do.

You'll never even miss the butter. Let me know how you like it.

To cut even more corners and save time, I usually have this with take-out tacos, cause I can usually snag a few lime wedges while I'm at their salsa bar ;)

Last edited:
Just a quick tip that will help ALL of your grilled meats come out really well.

I do this with: lamb/steak/pork chops/ribs/pork loin/chicken/burgers/brats etc etc.

Once the meat is nearly done, and you take it off the grill....put it in an airtight plastic container and let it sit for a few minutes.

This allows the meat to cook a little more internally, as well as helps the meat to reabsorb juices.

Makes everything more juicy.

Good luck. :biggrin:

Fixing dinner this evening and just thought I would bring this old thread up again...

Herbed fish stakes, oven fries, stuffed tomatoes:

Cut baking potatoes into "fries" and toss them in with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees, without turning, for 20 minutes.

Coat fish stakes (probably a white fish like cod or halibut) with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and any chopped herb. Core tomatoes, scoop out the pulp, and mix with bread crumbs, minced garlic, and olive oil. Stuff the mixture back into the tomatoes.

Flip the fries. Place the fish and tomatoes on a "pan" of foil and add to the sheet. Roast until the fries are golden brown, the fish is cooked through, and the tomatoes are browned, 20 to 25 minutes.

Very simple, very fast, healthy and done on one cookie sheet.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Awsome Easy Asian Chicken in the crock pot:

2 chicken breasts (or thighs or what ever)
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup salsa (hot as you like it)
2 T brown sugar
1 T Soy sause
Fresh Grated Ginger (couple teaspoons full, depending how much you like ginger)
2 T lime juice

Mix everything but the chicken to make a sauce. Put the chicken in the crockpot on high then pour the sauce over the chicken and cook until the chicken pulls apart (shred it when you can). You can increase the amout of the sauce items (especially salsa) if you want for extra sauce (me like). It's hard to screw this up which is nice.

Serve over rice or pasta.

Last edited:
For grilling: Buy a weber gas grill.

I put it off because of the price and always bought the cheapo gas grills. I'd have to learn where the hotsports were and babysit the thing while grilling anything.

Now that I have a weber, I never have to worry about temperature regulation, grill hot spots, or flame flare ups.

They are expensive, but worth it.

Pork chops with apple and onion.

You can prepare this meal in one skillet!

2 Tbsp olive oil, 4 shoulder chops or pork loin chops, 1/2 cup dry white wine, 1 chopped onion, 1/4 cup chicken broth, 2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples, 1 Tbsp lemon juice.

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Sear them in oil over high heat, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes.

Lower the heat; add the wine and onion. Cook, turning the chips once or twice, until the wine is mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add broth and cover. Cook the chops, turning once or twice, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chops and set aside.

Add the apples to the pan and cook, scraping the pan bottom, until they are softened a bit, about 5 minutes. (Add broth if it becomes dry.) Stir in the lemon juice. Serve the pork chops topped with the apples, onion, and sauce.

For grilling: Buy a weber gas grill.

I put it off because of the price and always bought the cheapo gas grills. I'd have to learn where the hotsports were and babysit the thing while grilling anything.

Now that I have a weber, I never have to worry about temperature regulation, grill hot spots, or flame flare ups.

They are expensive, but worth it.

I love my Weber! Another tip, if you have a gas line in the house, pay the extra money to have them pipe the gas line over to your grill and run off of natural gas instead of propane. Now I never have to worry about running out of gas or filling up a propane tank. It's so worth the cost!

I love my Weber! Another tip, if you have a gas line in the house, pay the extra money to have them pipe the gas line over to your grill and run off of natural gas instead of propane. Now I never have to worry about running out of gas or filling up a propane tank. It's so worth the cost!

how much did that cost to run the line? and- i've got a traditional propane grill...can it be converted for natural gas?

+1. +1. When I built my house natural gas was an option and it included a line for an outside grill. I bought a Weber and I can't believe that I never owned one before. After reading the manual and learning how to properly grill, it's the best way to cook. I'm also amazed that I can heat it up to 700 degrees to quickly sear foods.

Back