• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nifty food ideas that we would like to share

how much did that cost to run the line? and- i've got a traditional propane grill...can it be converted for natural gas?

I don't know as my house was already plumbed with taps when I bought it. Most traditional propane grills can be converted; you just have to swap out the regulator. My Weber had both options available and I just swapped in the proper regulator. Check with your manufacturer.

I don't think following a recipe is as easy as you state unless you're reading the back of the can or the bottom of the package before you place it the microwave. How often have you prepared a fairly complicated recipe only to discover that you're missing some of the ingredients? Now what? You have to use your cooking skills and determine what can replace that ingredient. What about when you're cooking and you think you can do better than the recipe ingredients because of your cooking skills and substitute ingredients? Try to fix some of the meals in "Food and Wine" and you'll discover following a "simple" recipe isn't that easy. it's not about reading the writing and doing the measuring, it's also about cooking skills, preparation, quality of ingredients and presentation. Think about it, if it's just about following a recipe there would be no great restaurants only good restaurants. JMHO

Doug,

As a chef, I agree.

Doug,

Roger that. I can bake with the best of them, and baking is very straightforward, and at times very methodical. Fresh flour, fresh eggs, measure precisely and use a good oven.

As you describe, being able to deviate or substitute from a recipe is a special skill. My sweetie is very good at that.

Miner

Miner,

Here is where we differ. I CAN bake, however, I choose not too much. Baking is a science and requires too much thinking to deviate.

I, however, am an "artist" and prefer to deviate from a recipe that I am given. If someone gives me a recipe to try.....I make it strictly according to the recipe the first time so I know what the dish is supposed to taste like. From there I create my own interpretation of the dish. It is more difficult to do that with baking recipes....imho. I also prefer to create savory dishes rather than desserts, once again, just my preference.

So, if you want to do the baking dishes, I can handle the main course and maybe Doug will make the desserts and we'll have a get together......who's supplying the drinks?

[/QUOTE] ..who's supplying the drinks? [/QUOTE]
uhhhhh.....Smoore:eek:

Last edited:
Back