New Rims on an NSX-T

• Thread starter Thread starter Si
  • Start date Start date

Si

Gold Member, Moderator: General Classified
Just got my rims today, it's lowered with H&R. The rims are Volk Racing GTP riding on TOYO Proxies. These tires are so awesome, IMO, so much better than the Dunlop SP series. They ride quiet and smooth.

nsx1.jpg
(good lighting)
nsx10.jpg
(the color doesn't show too well when it's dark, seems light the wet look is not there)
nsx2.jpg

nsx8.jpg

[This message has been edited by Si (edited 25 May 2002).]

Very nice

------------------

2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

Si,

Everything looks real good! I can't wait to see them up close at the Prime Drive!!!

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
Looks very nice. Can you tell there is additional weight with the new rims and tires? Car seem slower, less nimble in the corners etc?

I think the Volk Racing GTP's are actually ligher then the OEM rim...

Originally posted by smoore:

what is the weight of those wheels in the front and the rear? also what width are they?

I only weighed the back one. The original weighed 45lbs with tires; the Volk Racing weighed 49.5lbs. The wheels from Volk Racing are very light, it's just that the tires are bigger and wider. I am running
18x10's with 275 35. I didn't notice the lack of speed, but I must admit the ride is so much nicer with the new tires (Toyo Proxies).

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
How much was it lowered by? And were any other mods done to brakes (etc)for clearance purposes.

With the stock rims and tires the car looked so low, I am guessing probably 1.5 or a little more. I don't advise one to run stock tires on lowered car. But with the bigger tires and rims, the car is now elevated a little. My offset for the rear is 43 with no mod to the brakes, but it did rube with 44.

Nice wheels Si! I think that I've seen them somewhere before?!
biggrin.gif
Anyways, do you know where to get the Volk GT series center caps? I've been waiting for months and months. My source claims that Volk doesn't have them and I have been believing him, but I'm about ready to get them from somewhere else. Thanks.

Originally posted by ck:
do you know where to get the Volk GT series center caps?

They go for 50 bucks. You can order them thru www.wheeloptions.com, ask for Vic. I think it's time you lowered your car
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Si (edited 25 May 2002).]

Si,

Thanks for the info, but Vic was an ass to me over the phone. I wouldn't order them from him even if he didn't mark them up 150%! Think about it, $200+shipping for some center caps? One rim was only $300 something. I am looking into lowering the car these days. I know, I know everyone has been telling me to lower it. Thanks anyways.

Yeah Vic is tuff to talk. Call Arie at AMT Motorsport 626-795-5555. He is very friendly and will go the extra distance to make his customer happy.

simply beautiful. me likes.

Si-

I really like those wheels. They are my favorite so far.

Being a "Newbie" to these forums and not too far off from owning an NSX of my own, I've got a few questions that I don't think were asked or answered above. Bear with me, I'm new to this......

In order to fit these beauties on, did you have to do anything other than lower the car?

You say that the 44' offset rubbed. Does the 43' offset rub in any way? Do the tires rub any on the fenders or any parts when you go over bumps in the road?

Your car looks a lot more "over the top" than a standard NSX, but in a subtle enough way to make it incredibly clean and beautiful. Is the body 100% standard (ie normal panels and fenders?)

What are you running up front for sizes?

And finally, how does the lowered car/bigger wheels differ from your impressions of a stock NSX?

Thanks in advance for responding. Once again, you've got one gorgeous car.

(edited to add another question)

[This message has been edited by Viper Driver (edited 30 May 2002).]

In order to fit these beauties on, did you have to do anything other than lower the car?

You can have them on without lowering your car, I just didnt' like the 4x4 look.
biggrin.gif

You say that the 44' offset rubbed. Does the 43' offset rub in any way? Do the tires rub any on the fenders or any parts when you go over bumps in the road?

The 44 offest in the back wheel rub with the brake caliper. So I switched it to 43 and have no problem. There is no fender/over bumps rub what so ever.

Your car looks a lot more "over the top" than a standard NSX, but in a subtle enough way to make it incredibly clean and beautiful. Is the body 100% standard (ie normal panels and fenders?)

Thank you for the kind word.
biggrin.gif

The car is completly stock with the execption of the lower stance, wheels and tires.

What are you running up front for sizes?

Front 215/40/17

And finally, how does the lowered car/bigger wheels differ from your impressions of a stock NSX?

When lowered without aftermarket rims,
it was like riding on ground (H&R). This is not my car, but it look some what low like this
honnsx_r.jpg

The ride was very bouncy. I had a tuff time getting into driveway, always asking my date to get out of the car first so that it don't scrap. I loved the lowered stance without the wheels upgrade, but can't handle the ride quality. Once I installed the bigger wheels and tires (Toyo Proxies T1-s), the car is raised up a little and the ride is so smooth now. As for handling, I havent' push the envelop yet. I would think it'll probably be the same if not better.

[This message has been edited by Si (edited 30 May 2002).]

Back