New Nsx Owner! Just Bought it Monday!

Phoen$x, this was purely neglect, the guy i bought it from had owned her for the past 5 yrs and was a daily driver putting 4 to 5 miles a day in the past 5 yrs about 5k total and seems like it was never washed, polished or cleaned inside as there is a smell of old or something like that in the inside and trunk carpets so i need to replace them cus i have like 4 air fresheners in it for now. after i bought her i drove 67 miles home and opened her up on interstate 5s and picked up speed and drove really good with no issues , but i know i have to do maintenance on her soon.

Thanks for the info. You are one brave guy, almost brave as Shawn. :biggrin:

I'm glad to hear she is in good hands.

I hope you didn't pay more than about 18k for that car. It pained me to click on each pic. When I got to the seat pic I was like :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Good luck with the build. There are many good people on this board that will walk you through each and every step. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Also get to know some local Primers.

I would begin with a complete detail interior, exterior(not much you can do) and underneath. Then change all fluids/filters and document each and every leak.You are going to spend about 3k bringing the TB/WP/spool valves/valve cover gaskets up to date. You will find other things along the way. Please ditch the homie chromies and for heavens sakes find a drivers seat. I cannot bare to have that image in my mind any more.:smile:

Phoen$x, this was purely neglect, the guy i bought it from had owned her for the past 5 yrs and was a daily driver putting 4 to 5 miles a day in the past 5 yrs about 5k total and seems like it was never washed, polished or cleaned inside as there is a smell of old or something like that in the inside and trunk carpets so i need to replace them cus i have like 4 air fresheners in it for now. after i bought her i drove 67 miles home and opened her up on interstate 5s and picked up speed and drove really good with no issues , but i know i have to do maintenance on her soon.

Are you sure this car was not in a flood of some sort? If the smell is strong and the paint is that bad might be the case. Glad to hear you are bringing this one back to life though. Good luck.

I sent him a private message,
It hurt me to see an NSX like that
so I am donating a shit load of parts to help the cause

guys I know you have some great parts sitting around that your not going to use so lets

I know he can buy the stuff himself etc. and no hand outs but this is not a hand out this is to help a fellow NSX'r out

I stand at the front of the line
I will donate
mint center leather seat skins from my 92 and the outter skins are not so hot but better,
brand new leather headrests both
4 interior plastic covers for the doors all 4 2 each side
almost mint interior door inserts all 8
almost mint interior door armrests both sides.
mint clutch pedal rubber

I will see what else I have tomorrow.
I am telling everyone what I am donating so we dont double donate the same items anyone wants to join in I am sure he will be grateful

my items ship this week.

Last edited:

guys I know you have some great parts sitting around that your not going to use so lets

I know he can buy the stuff himself etc. and no hand outs but this is not a hand out this is to help a fellow NSX'r out

I will donate
mint center leather seat skins from my 92 and the outter skins are not so hot but better,
mint clutch pedal rubber

I am telling everyone what I am donating so we dont double donate the same items anyone wants to join in I am sure he will be grateful

my items ship this week.
Nice job.The car needs some tlc and..........more.However gentlemen chipping in and helping out is outstanding and hats off to you.

I will donate
mint clutch pedal rubber

my items ship this week.

Youre a good man Shawn

Youre a good man Shawn

Agree! Extremely generous and helpful guy.
icon14.gif

I don't have any spare parts to donate at the moment, but I'll donate a few bucks toward the restoration effort if the OP needs it.

Shawn I can't thank you enough! you are a generous man and i know it's no hand outs, this is coming from the good will you have and if you have the spare parts then they will come to a good home as this nsx does need it big time. God bless you for that.
I wanted to own an Nsx so bad i looked past the condition she is in the minute i saw the ad on craigslist that an Nsx was for sale. Almost all the Nsx's around here are not cheaper than 25k so i had a 98 Lexus Gs300, a 2002 honda accord and a 2001 Acura 3.2 CL, I listed all 3 cars for sale cheap so i would get the $ together and buy the Nsx, at the end i got $8k for the Lexus, $3600 for the Honda Accord and $3000 for the Acura CL in payments to a friend so i only got $1,400 upfront, i got my savings out the bank and off i went to purchase my very first Nsx! I got her for 15K ! Im a broke ass Nsx owner for now lol i say im a Baller in a budget! hahaha.
That's my story and i am so glad im a part of this forum, more like brotherhood and once again thank you guys!

Shawn I can't thank you enough! you are a generous man and i know it's no hand outs, this is coming from the good will you have and if you have the spare parts then they will come to a good home as this nsx does need it big time. God bless you for that.
I wanted to own an Nsx so bad i looked past the condition she is in the minute i saw the ad on craigslist that an Nsx was for sale. Almost all the Nsx's around here are not cheaper than 25k so i had a 98 Lexus Gs300, a 2002 honda accord and a 2001 Acura 3.2 CL, I listed all 3 cars for sale cheap so i would get the $ together and buy the Nsx, at the end i got $8k for the Lexus, $3600 for the Honda Accord and $3000 for the Acura CL in payments to a friend so i only got $1,400 upfront, i got my savings out the bank and off i went to purchase my very first Nsx! I got her for 15K ! Im a broke ass Nsx owner for now lol i say im a Baller in a budget! hahaha.
That's my story and i am so glad im a part of this forum, more like brotherhood and once again thank you guys!
Thats not a bad price. But you are a brave soul :biggrin:

Do you know the history of the car? Mileage, snapring range, and maintenance record?

Perhaps with that info, someone can chime in and help you put together a prioritized maintenance plan so you can focus on critical mechanical things to bring this back into DD shape.

Edit:
One strange thing I noticed is the condition of the fan blades on the engine compartment fan....is that damage from rodents or impact damage? Looks to be on the trailing and leading edge of the blade.

Last edited:
gt_nfr No real history on it so i really have to find a tech that can look at it for now and give me priority list as you mention, all the prior owner told me is that he change the timing belt when he got the car 5yrs ago, he put in 5k in 5 yrs he owned it so he mention that not by mileage but by time i should change the belt soon. I asked about the snap ring range and he mention this car didnt have that problem so im thinking either it was fixed prior to the time he owned it or this car didnt have that issue, i did noticed the clutch is low as it's very high and when you step on it after second gear it revs higher than the power its putting out so when i do drive it i go very easy on it so it won't leave me stranded.
so i need to get info in a clutch replacement as well.

The fan on the side (which i have no idea what it cools down) it was chewed on by a rat that the prior owner told me he found after he had the X parked for a while so after that he decided to sell it. I have not noticed anything else being chewed on like wires or anything else and the car hasn't given me any problems starting besides the alarm going off on me a few days ago and door locks not locking her.
oh yeah an oil leak from somewhere in the engine i havent seen where as i saw the spots in the parking space when i move it.

Wow! First, way to go, this car is being born again. You are obviously very talented with your hands, if you did that carbon wrap. I have no doubts everyone will be envious of that NSX in no time. It isnt that bad. Typical used, neglected car with a few miles on it. I tell every one the first 100,00 miles on a honda, Dont Count. So it is still low miles. I have pulled worse stuff than that out of wrecking yards and mechanics back lots, to fix up and sell for a profit or use my self. Second, major,major, kudos to Shawn for selfless donation of parts. I havnt been on prime that long, but I have never heard of such generosity. Other guys are donating too so they all deserve applause. Keep up the good work, try to get something done every day, and before you know it, she will be a beauty again. Oh, and obviously you are in great hands with all these guys on prime helping you!

Joe, Thank you for that comment and yes these guys here are awesome, shawn is the man, very generous indeed. I have not found that generosity anywhere, and if someone else is willing to help maybe not by giving it away but maybe selling parts you see my X might need for a reasonable price i will save my chips every week and buy that part she needs. Im determined one way or another that Nsx will be pretty again.

Oh ok im learning things as this is my first time on a forum. Thanx. Yeah figured why have it all faded when a quick wrap can take care of it while i get other more important issues fixed, the body and paint will be last and also considering if i should do another color besides black. Exotic car deserves a color to make it stand out, just dont know which

Wow, seeing the pics of the car really puts it in perspective when you say it needs some TLC. I would hate to see other stuff belonging to the guy you bought the car from. I commend Shawn and anyone else helping bring this X back to health. If you browse some of Shawn's rebuild threads, you will see his hands are that of a skilled surgeon. He is saving NSX lives one at a time. Good luck with your restoration. I do not own an X yet, but hope to in the near future. I'll certainly keep an eye on your rebuild updates. Godspeed

Wow, you sold 3 cars to get this? That's some sacrifice right there. Looks like you got your hands full for awhile...I wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated with your progress.

Rock on man, great to see someone breathing some life in to this poor NSX. Big thumbs up from me for stepping up to the plate and tackling this project. Similar thumbs up to Shawn for providing that outstanding support.

Car looks like a perfect project.

Others are shocked... I don't think it's that bad. Goodluck with it can't wait to see it come together :cool:

its not really a big deal if any of us were in a postision to help I am sure they would, NSXPRIME is not your regular forum

great people, and 97% of prime members love the car, and the love Honda put into making this car.
thought Honda has lost touch of this in the past years maybe they troll
on prime to get ideas you never know

she will be perfect so dont worry

Back