New member looking for nsx!

Hey everyone, just thought I would introduce myself since I'm on a hunt for a nsx. Currently own a 2003 Evo but the nsx has always been my dream car. I have been checking Craigs List and the marketplace everyday already haha. Hoping to find a 93 or 94 that is essentially in good mechanical condition. Been reading a lot the past few days and hope to learn more! Also located in the bay area so if anyone knows any being sold :biggrin:

Mike

The car you listed seems to be a little neglected. I've never seen a car with such a dirty engine bay like that which was always garaged. The clutch and brake fluids look like they haven't been changed in a few years.

It also looks like they use rattle can paint to paint the wheels. :D

Last edited:
The car you listed seems to be a little neglected. I've never seen a car with such a dirty engine bay like that which was always garaged. The clutch and brake fluids look like they haven't been changed in a few years.

Yeah that is true, I think I would feel a lot more comfortable checking the car out in person as well..

Welcome... read up and learn what you can.

Be patient in your search. I'm sure you will be able to find a nice car.

Enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

- Rod

PS. surprisingly I found mine on eBay. I was a little leary and nervous, but it all turned out excellent in my case.
PPI (pre purchase inspections) are normally recommended too.

Last edited:

Agreed. My car has over twice the mileage of this car and my engine bay isn't even close to that dirty.

the nsx is a funny car to shop for used..why? because it is an exotic handbuilt aluminum car that was designed and built to the best standard that honda could construct at the time, and new it cost the equivalent of 100k in todays dollars...but now is new camry money...this means that the car deserves the best when doing reconstruction/painting...alas we see many cars suffering from neglect/tight repair budgets. That is one of the many paradox of the used nsx market.

I think his sales pitch/write-up is a little over the top. It is my view the car does not have very low miles and unlikely to have been pampered and garaged. Although, Sun Valley is an area on the east most side of the San Fernando Valley, LA. Its typically a smoggy, dusty and windy area (general characterization). Wonder if he has had the TB/WP service done, says he has major service records, missed the ball by not listing if the TB/WP was done. The interior to me is not like new, could use a detailing...in fact seller would have been wise to have had the whole car detailed. I put little if any weight in his comments about KBB value. Got too many questions still to say if his asking price is realistic, but probably not. I did a VIN search on this site and nothing shows up.

So in the end, I'd give him a call, get more details on service records, TB/WP, coolant hoses, window fix it thingies (would be interesting if he even knows about that), AC works at all settings, which dealer, they got a certified NSX mechanic. And if by some miracle everything works out, its only a 350 mile drive for you to view the car, which is a must along with a PPI. Good luck in your search for a car.

Do not buy that car. There are many better cars out there.

It's a buyer's market when it comes to NSXs so take your time. I would not buy a car with:

1. negleted, or undocumented maintenance,
2. any paint work,
3. cheap mods,
4. mismatched tires,
5. high mileage (only because there's good low mileage cars available),
6. FI cars (with the exception of a CT or SOS SC that was installed at a very reputable shop),
7. 95 or 96 model year (not an issue for you)
8. automatics
9. anything without doing a lot of searches on 'buying an NSX' on Prime. There's a wealth of info & help here.

Good luck!

Do not buy that car. There are many better cars out there.

It's a buyer's market when it comes to NSXs so take your time. I would not buy a car with:

1. negleted, or undocumented maintenance,
2. any paint work,
3. cheap mods,
4. mismatched tires,
5. high mileage (only because there's good low mileage cars available),
6. FI cars (with the exception of a CT or SOS SC that was installed at a very reputable shop),
7. 95 or 96 model year (not an issue for you)
8. automatics
9. anything without doing a lot of searches on 'buying an NSX' on Prime. There's a wealth of info & help here.

Good luck!

whats wrong with 95 or 96 model year? Just want to know your reasoning?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 95 or 96. Not at all.

My preference would be to either buy the lighter coupe (91-94) or the more powerful 3.2l T (97-01). It's only a preference. I suppose if I found a perfect 95/96 at a great price, I'd buy it.

I'd add that, if you really like the targa but don't want to spend the extra $$$ for the 97+ and 3.2 motor, then a 95 or 96 is your only way to go. Lots of prior discussion about the rigidity/weight of the coupes (any year), but my view is how noticeable is it unless you are driving the car at it's limit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 95 or 96. Not at all.

My preference would be to either buy the lighter coupe (91-94) or the more powerful 3.2l T (97-01). It's only a preference. I suppose if I found a perfect 95/96 at a great price, I'd buy it.

Good to know, yeah I kinda have my mind set definitely on the earlier ones non targa. I just recently sold my 72 240z and need another rwd car as a replacement haha

His "lowest reserve on ebay" didnt close at a 23k + bid.
Lots of hype in the description.
However I wouldnt factor the car out.
Take your time.
Have your ducks lined up.
When the time comes you'll know the car.
The hunt is half the fun.
Took me two years to find my Keeper.
Admittedly a worst case scenario.
;)
BTW the 91-94 is a great value. With a set of stainless headers it approaches the 3.2 in HP whereas the 3.2 already has factory headers so the gain is not as much.

Last edited:
Take your time. Look around.
I found and bought this one from Doug at switchcars.

http://inventory.switchcars.com/cardetails.asp?VIN=JH4NA1182TT000208
Hired an inspector to go over the car, then flew from CA to OH to test drive, check it out, and buy.

No, I didn't pay the price listed ;)

Just got her home last Wednesday(10/13) via carrier from OH to CA.

Already performed the following:
a) Mods to support the slightly sagging Wings West skirts(used alum channel and alum rivets instead of angle.) (search forums for this issue if it applies to the car you consider)
b) CCU change out from briank (solved the HVAC "fan-only-works-on-high" issue, thanks brian!)
c) Trunk strut mods to keep the trunk lid up.
d) Figured out how the iPod adapter works (using the stock CD controller)

Absolutely love the car.
She is very clean for a '96.

-brian

Last edited:
well they ended the e-bay auction and then relisted it on craigslist.

I think they listed it on e-bay to get a feel for how much they can get for it. now they relisted it for 26K

but man my engine bay is spotless. and Like DOCL said rattle can paint for the rims.

I would pass on it if It were me.

My advice is, "stay off ebay" when shopping for a car like this. Why not visit our classifieds right here? Plenty of nice well kept NSX's for sale here.

Back