New Dreamer, advice please

Buy private and from an individual that has a lot of paperwork to with it. PPI is a must and before I picked mine up I splurged ($350) on a one way plane ticket. The previous owner and I got together and the car and seller passed my B.S. test. I drove 650 miles home and have had a blast ever since. Good Luck and many miles of happy motoring

Thank you. In a perfect world, I would love to buy from a private party, garaged all the time, non-smoker, has all the service records," babied" the car..... etc...
Also, I am picky about where I drive my S2000. I just try to be sensible and smart about it.

957f36214b443c351907eb3e15e36ace_zpsae6ad9c7.jpg

Just wanted to get a "emotional" idea of what it is like to own an NSX

Do you know what it feels like to be a "rock star?" Similar to that :biggrin:

It probably depends where you live, but I would guess the St Louis area would be some place where NSX's aren't all to common either.

Some times I don't notice to many people gawking and other times they are hanging out, turning around, taking pictures. If you are in a hurry sometimes it isn't the best idea to take the NSX unless you are going straight there with no stops. There are plenty of times people want ask questions about the car. See if it is okay to take a picture of it, etc. Other times people don't seem to pay much attention to it.

As for parking, I normally park away from cars. I did have somebody leave a nasty note on my windshield about it once. I was way away, were my car wasn't bothering anybody, but the person apparently didn't like it. Maybe he thought I must think I'm something special, who knows. I'm very humble with the car, thankful and offer to let people sit in it etc.

I don't drive mine to work because I park in a parking garage and I get dinged quite a bit. The NSX is too nice to get dinged. If it does, oh well, it is just a car. But I do what I can to avoid parking dings.

And as for a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) I recommended it. It is a very wise thing to have done. BUT to be honest I would say "do as I say, not as I do." I took a risk & gambled... purchased on faith and a prayer, plus talking with the owner who had maintained the car, had receipts and worked at the Honda dealership. I flew to Reno, his buddy picked me up at the airport & took me to the dealership. It was his personal car.

I looked it over & drove it, then I turned over my cashiers check and received a bill of sale and a DMV transport sticker, had a fun drive home and after my cashiers check cleared he mailed me the title.

You'll want to take care of it and baby it I would guess, but don't stress too much over it.

The best way to get an "emotional" idea would be to get in one for a ride or better yet a drive.

I want to ask what may be silly question. How do you feel about parking your NSX at the grocery store or shopping mall. Is it nerve-racking or are you all comfortable. Are there places that you won't drive your car? I don't mean the obvious places, like bad neighborhoods. Just wanted to get a "emotional" idea of what it is like to own an NSX

Considering all the lazy peeps who don't bother returning the shopping carts to where they should.... I'd rather take my Accord out for any grocery errands. If I am out and have to stop in to a store... I'll park it away from other cars. It's a bit nerve-racking but you'll learn to get over it.

Considering all the lazy peeps who don't bother returning the shopping carts to where they should.... I'd rather take my Accord out for any grocery errands. If I am out and have to stop in to a store... I'll park it away from other cars. It's a bit nerve-racking but you'll learn to get over it.

One of the many reasons that NSX owners develop "Look Back Syndrome" (LBS)

I want to ask what may be silly question. How do you feel about parking your NSX at the grocery store or shopping mall. Is it nerve-racking or are you all comfortable. Are there places that you won't drive your car? I don't mean the obvious places, like bad neighborhoods. Just wanted to get a "emotional" idea of what it is like to own an NSX
This is a good question. I'm a very careful driver / parker no matter which car I'm in, but especially more so in the NSX. I'll park at an entire opposite end of a parking lot if it means finding a space next to a curb where I can fully protect at least one side of the car. I take it to get groceries and to run errands frequently, but there's always that thought, "What's going on with my NSX while I'm inside shopping?" It took me awhile to get over that fear.

The level of attention is definitely something new to me. I was fueling up at a Chevron last weekend near Arizona State University and a guy intentionally drove "through" the gas station pump area and back out on to the roadway so he could roll down his window, slow down a bit, and say "NSX! Badass!" I gave him a head nod and he zoomed off. Stuff like that always makes me chuckle.

Referring to this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...rs_Trucks&hash=item4ac29d5938#ht_24514wt_1165
10201403_3.jpg

If so, I have a few thoughts:
1. That is a dealership using Ebay for a wider audience. You can work directly with the dealership if you want.

2. Most of these cars are in California, it isn't uncommon to travel to find the one you want. While I was fortunate to find one on the East coast, that isn't always the case. When you are looking at a car this rare you simply need a wide net.

3. That car *may* sell for $45k, but that would be a strong price for it. You are shopping at a high price time, with spring around the corner everyone is thinking about sports cars and there is a markup because of it. On the other hand, it also means that inventory is high as people are buying/selling a lot. So you get more choices, but you are going to have to pay a higher price.

I'd say if the car really scratches your itch, ask one of the California guys around here to go check it out and report back to you. There are plenty of people with lots of experience who have fun going to a dealership and evaluating a car and the information you will get from them is priceless. Also, just because they have a buy it now of $45k doesn't mean you can't throw them an offer of $36k and see where it goes. Worse that happens is they say no.

I keep going back to this car. It is off of ebay, but might still be on craigslist. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and it is still for sale. May someone advise me as to whether this is worth a serious look and maybe have a PPI go look at it for me before I invest in a plane ticket? Thank you.

A little hindsight about PPI and Carfax.... I had Momin do my PPI (trusted member of Prime and more knowledgeable than most dealerships). Vehicle checked out amidst small things I could live with. When I got home from the 1,000 mile roadtrip, I had local 20+ yr NSX tech look at it and he said of the car, best driving NSX he has ever been inside. I never ran a Carfax till last month and it came back with like a 9/100 rating!!! I originally did Autocheck free just for salvage, and the VIN on Prime searches.

I love my car and consider it a steal... Had I run the Carfax initially I may not have ever bought the car.

My point is a PPI and a CarFax aren't always the best... Sometimes one won't tell you everything you need and might actually prevent you from making what could've been a solid purchase.

Referring to this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...rs_Trucks&hash=item4ac29d5938#ht_24514wt_1165
10201403_3.jpg

If so, I have a few thoughts:
1. That is a dealership using Ebay for a wider audience. You can work directly with the dealership if you want.

2. Most of these cars are in California, it isn't uncommon to travel to find the one you want. While I was fortunate to find one on the East coast, that isn't always the case. When you are looking at a car this rare you simply need a wide net.

3. That car *may* sell for $45k, but that would be a strong price for it. You are shopping at a high price time, with spring around the corner everyone is thinking about sports cars and there is a markup because of it. On the other hand, it also means that inventory is high as people are buying/selling a lot. So you get more choices, but you are going to have to pay a higher price.

I'd say if the car really scratches your itch, ask one of the California guys around here to go check it out and report back to you. There are plenty of people with lots of experience who have fun going to a dealership and evaluating a car and the information you will get from them is priceless. Also, just because they have a buy it now of $45k doesn't mean you can't throw them an offer of $36k and see where it goes. Worse that happens is they say no.

I am interested in finding a PPI in Santa Clara, CA who might be interested in checking this car out. How do I go about doing this? Thanks. Dave

PPI is not a person. It's pre purchase inspection. LOL... Anyway post in the regional forum asking if anyone can look at it for you.

browse the forum tab and click the regional forum for the state you wish to ask about a ppi.

sportscarman: from the pics nice looking car and I took a look at the ebay ad. Car is supercharged -- looks like a Comptech which I believe you could get as a dealer install years ago. Don't get me wrong here (and I am no authority but I do have a pristine /94 with under 40K on the clock which is all stock except for header to muffler system off an /04 NSX so I have some experience with the NSX) but my preference would be to stay away from forced induction of any kind. While I believe that the Comptech setup back in the mid-90s was pretty mild, my preference would be a totally stock, normally aspirated engine that has been well maintained. The less stress, the better IMHO. Just me 2 cents. And for what it is worth, mine has been bulletproof since the day I got it three and a half years ago with just under 19,000 miles. Best of luck.

Jeff

sportscarman: from the pics nice looking car and I took a look at the ebay ad. Car is supercharged -- looks like a Comptech which I believe you could get as a dealer install years ago. Don't get me wrong here (and I am no authority but I do have a pristine /94 with under 40K on the clock which is all stock except for header to muffler system off an /04 NSX so I have some experience with the NSX) but my preference would be to stay away from forced induction of any kind. While I believe that the Comptech setup back in the mid-90s was pretty mild, my preference would be a totally stock, normally aspirated engine that has been well maintained. The less stress, the better IMHO. Just me 2 cents. And for what it is worth, mine has been bulletproof since the day I got it three and a half years ago with just under 19,000 miles. Best of luck.

Jeff

Jeff, Thank you. I definitely appreciate your opinions and experience. I would prefer a car that is stock with lower mileage and closer to my state if possible. Like most of you have already told me, I must be patient!

Another way to look at is is that you will spend 3K on wheels and tires, $3000 on brakes and installation, $10k on a Comptech supercharger and installation, 2k on coilovers and installation, making it a total of $18,000, which you are getting on this car for almost no extra cost.

I would never let mods affect my decision to buy, I would let condition affect my decision. A car can be totally stock but in shitty condition. A car can be supercharged and be in A1 condition. Those things are determined by a good PPI by a knowledgable person, with things like compression and leak down tests on the motor, by speaking with the previous owner, etc.

I prefer to buy a car off an Nsxprime member than a random dealer, because generally there is more knowledge and more known history.

Another way to look at is is that you will spend 3K on wheels and tires, $3000 on brakes and installation, $10k on a Comptech supercharger and installation, 2k on coilovers and installation, making it a total of $18,000, which you are getting on this car for almost no extra cost.

I would never let mods affect my decision to buy, I would let condition affect my decision. A car can be totally stock but in shitty condition. A car can be supercharged and be in A1 condition. Those things are determined by a good PPI by a knowledgable person, with things like compression and leak down tests on the motor, by speaking with the previous owner, etc.

I prefer to buy a car off an Nsxprime member than a random dealer, because generally there is more knowledge and more known history.

Uh huh :wink:

+2 on that...

A Comptech supercharger which was installed as a dealership factory option would be coveted by quite a few here on Prime. Others not so much. As long as the PPI comes up good & the car is in great shape... a person could save quite a bit of money (Like TURBO2GO pointed out ~$18k or so).

For me the stock engine is great, but many want higher levels of performance to hang with today's performance vehicles.

I purchased mine with headers, Italian Antera 309 Wheels, West Wings ground effects, plus some other nice additional upgrades.... the previous owners spent thousands on the upgrades which I basically got for free. It saved me quite a bit on what I would have liked to have as upgrades anyway. In my case I liked what the previous owner had done with the car.

Lots of people like the stock NSX. It is beautiful, but I like the look with the ground effects, side skits, etc. We all have different tastes.

I believe most people want to stay away from Forced Induction because the potential for the additional stress and that in many cases the cars are driven harder. But a person can drive a NA NSX very hard too. Which is why it is wise to get the PPI done by somebody familiar with the NSX.

Last edited:
+2 on that...

A Comptech supercharger which was installed as a dealership factory option would be coveted by quite a few here on Prime. Others not so much. As long as the PPI comes up good & the car is in great shape... a person could save quite a bit of money (Like TURBO2GO pointed out ~$18k or so).

For me the stock engine is great, but many want higher levels of performance to hang with today's performance vehicles.

I purchased mine with headers, Italian Antera 309 Wheels, West Wings ground effects, plus some other nice additional upgrades.... the previous owners spent thousands on the upgrades which I basically got for free. It saved me quite a bit on what I would have liked to have as upgrades anyway. In my case I liked what the previous owner had done with the car.

Lots of people like the stock NSX. It is beautiful, but I like the look with the ground effects, side skits, etc. We all have different tastes.

I believe most people want to stay away from Forced Induction because the potential for the additional stress and that in many cases the cars are driving harder. But a person can drive a NA NSX very hard too. Which is why it is wise to get the PPI done by somebody familiar with the NSX.

If I bought an NSX with a supercharger, would I still be able to go to a local Acura dealer for service or would I have to go somewhere special? Does the supercharger greatly decrease gas mileage? I just want to make sure I understand everything that I am getting into so I may make an intelligent decision.

I'm not saying there isn't more risk with a car that has a supercharger on it. If you have two well taken care of cars, one OEM and one supercharged, the OEM car is going to be more reliable long term. OEM is probably more reliable than a modified car whatever the modification is. Everyone that modifies a car does it to extract more performance out of it. If you don't have an interest in the extra performance a supercharged engine has, then don't bother. Get a stock car. But if you do want the extra performance, and are going to spend the money anyway, you are going to save a lot by just buying a car that has these things done. Because you will spend a fraction of the cost. It doesn't mean the car is now unreliable. That depends on who owned it, how it has ran, how it's been treated, etc. just like if the car was OEM.

Back