New Dreamer, advice please

Hi Friends,
Long time viewer, first time poster. I am an admirer of the Acura NSX. I would love to own one and would like some advice. The NSX is the only car that I will consider selling my S2000 for. Would like to find a clean, lower mileage NSX in the mid $30K range if that is reasonable. What do you think? Thanks.

Dave

Welcome. You came to the right place to start your search and research. $30 to $35k should get you a good 91 to 93 NSX if you are patient and do the proper due diligence. I suggest going to the NSX Wiki on this site. It will have everything you need to know about the NSX and how to buy one. And you should also read many of the posts in the DIY and NSX owner discussion sections. They will give you an idea of the issues related to owning one of these cars. And... when you buy one POST PICTURES or we won't believe you. Good luck in your search.

There are plenty of examples for sale in that price range. Have a little extra money set aside for any minor repairs or what not. Search autotrader, NSXPrime for sale section, E-bay if you feel comfortable. Also get a PPI done before purchase

+1, take your time to read up on the different years, changes by year, common issues, etc. and take your time to watch the pricing market. be patient and you'll find the one!

Thank you

+1, take your time to read up on the different years, changes by year, common issues, etc. and take your time to watch the pricing market. be patient and you'll find the one!

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Yes, I have been doing a lot of reading. Found a beauty on Ebay in CA. Looks outstanding, but appears the actually buy price is $45,000, which is over my price range. However, I am not sure I am comfortable buying from ebay. Would love to find one in my home state of Missouri, but doesn't appear to be too many hear. I would imagine, patience is the key.

Yep, patience is key. There are quite a few that searched for a year or more.

I watched and searched, autotrader, cars dot com, nsxprime, and ebay for several years. Most of those years were spent watching the market and seeing what was out there. Once I was ready it didn't take too long to find mine.

There is also a thread here on how to search craigslist nationally, but beware of scammers (that is good advise on any of the sites. If it sounds to good to be true beware, especially if the spelling, grammar is poor & if they request an electronic funds transfer deposit, RED FLAGS).

Actually, I purchased mine off of ebay. But I must admit it was a little nerve racking to do so. But the owner worked at the Reno Honda dealership and had kept the maintenance up on it, kept it detailed, had just replaced the clutch and it was a very nice low mile car (38,500 miles) at the time. And the price was good. I was surprised the bidding didn't go higher. I was willing to go higher on the car. I purchased it about this time of year in 2008.

Another person here on prime and in Omaha where I live purchased a nice 91 off eBay too for a very good price. The seller didn't set a limit and the person here ended up getting it for the low 20's. It is a nice car but had higher miles (~100k).

As for purchasing local. You might find one in your price range in your area. I've seen several for sale in the St Louis area the past year or so.

There is another NSX owner here in Omaha that purchased his 96 NSX-T last year from St Louis. It is a nice NSX. I believe he paid in the $36 to $37k range for it.

I believe I have seen some for sale at the St Louis Car Museum. It appears to be some type of classic car dealership ? ? ?

There are some other internet sites that specialize in NSX's. I don't remember them at the moment. I know they have been posted here on prime in the past, so you might be able to do a search to find those sites.

It is always wise to get a PPI on any car you are serious about purchasing.

Good luck and remember enjoy the hunt. It is part of the fun.

Last edited:
Found a beauty on Ebay in CA. Looks outstanding, but appears the actually buy price is $45,000, which is over my price range.
Referring to this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...rs_Trucks&hash=item4ac29d5938#ht_24514wt_1165
10201403_3.jpg

If so, I have a few thoughts:
1. That is a dealership using Ebay for a wider audience. You can work directly with the dealership if you want.

2. Most of these cars are in California, it isn't uncommon to travel to find the one you want. While I was fortunate to find one on the East coast, that isn't always the case. When you are looking at a car this rare you simply need a wide net.

3. That car *may* sell for $45k, but that would be a strong price for it. You are shopping at a high price time, with spring around the corner everyone is thinking about sports cars and there is a markup because of it. On the other hand, it also means that inventory is high as people are buying/selling a lot. So you get more choices, but you are going to have to pay a higher price.

I'd say if the car really scratches your itch, ask one of the California guys around here to go check it out and report back to you. There are plenty of people with lots of experience who have fun going to a dealership and evaluating a car and the information you will get from them is priceless. Also, just because they have a buy it now of $45k doesn't mean you can't throw them an offer of $36k and see where it goes. Worse that happens is they say no.

Car has a lot of goods on it.... 15-20K worth bought separately.

I agree with everyone here. Be patient, look everywhere, and have someone look at out of state cars fr you before you go yourself. Also one more thing: save, save, save! Sock as much money away for this purchase as you can. It will make financing a whole lot easier if you can slap a huge chunk down, better yet pay cash if you can.

I appreciate everyone's input. Yes, Blue_myriddn, that is exactly the car I am referring to in CA. It looks like a beauty. I called over there and they told me the gentleman that I need to speak to about that specific car wasn't there and they mentioned that they wouldn't let it go for less than $45000, but ya never know. I would prefer a car with little to no mods. Thanks for the offer to have some member check it out for me. I might be interested in that. The last couple of NSX's that have been on Craigslist were automatics, and I definitely want a manual.
When most of you purchased your cars from other states, did you hire a shipping or moving company to pick it up for you? There is a Yellow NSX here at the car museum in St. Louis. They are asking around $45K also. This is all such valuable info, Thanks.

I bought my 2005 without a PPI, a person checking it, or without me seeing it. Just had it shipped to me. Car was as advertised with zero issues. It was from a very reputable dealer. You can't limit yourself to the local market with an NSX.

Last edited:
Same here. Bought my 2000 in ohio without a test drive, a person checking it or seeing it in person and had it shipped to san diego. Bought from a respected member on prime. Zero issues. Not too many nsxs out there, so if you don't look outside the area where you live, you might end up looking forever. If you find a car that has all the things you are looking for, jump on it or someone else will. Sometimes, you need to take a chance on stuffs you really want.

Ppi

I bought my 2005 without a PPI, a person checking it, or without me seeing it. Just had it shipped to me. Car was as advertised with zero issues. It was from a very reputable dealer. You can't limit yourself to the local market with an NSX.

LOL. I tried to do a search, what does PPI stand for? Thanks.

PPI = private party inspection. (I pondered that same thing when I was first viewing these forums)

Best to have it done by someone who is experienced with an NSX, even Acura dealerships are often not the best source for a PPI (although some are). You should see recommendations for people in particular areas in the regional forums. For example, Ben at Daisy auto is probably one of the best people you can ask to do a PPI in the Greater Washington DC area.

Any good car salesman is going to tell you they can't let it go for $X and that you are getting a great deal when you talk them down a few bucks. Its how they make their living and you need to realize it is just part of the game and there are very few salesman who aren't willing to make some sort of deal. At this particular time of year, they may decide to sit on the car for a few months though to see if they get an eager buyer willing to pay top dollar. Their tune will change mid-summer, but maybe not. An NSX is a finicky car in the car market.

I've had 2 NSXs and even in Texas which has a high number of NSXs it was hard to find the right one for me. Both of my NSXs were bought out of state. I had the cars inspected before the trip back. Both cars had all of the maintenence records which I read and thus opted out of the PPI due to the completeness of the records and the dates of service. Without detailed records a PPI is very much recommended.

In both cases I drove the cars home over 1,600 miles. I found that the road time in the cars very valuable. Because on cars over 10 years old no matter how well maintained there is always something that needs addressed and you will only find it by driving it. Plus, the adventure of driving a hot car on a long road trip is priceless. I believe these cars were meant to drive and I might as well start off by doing it right. Also, I have found that searching for a car out of state opens up your options and who knows you just might find a car that you never even considered before. That's how I ended up with my 02 Imola which was not close to being on my radar. Good luck in your search.

I've had 2 NSXs and even in Texas which has a high number of NSXs it was hard to find the right one for me. Both of my NSXs were bought out of state. I had the cars inspected before the trip back. Both cars had all of the maintenence records which I read and thus opted out of the PPI due to the completeness of the records and the dates of service. Without detailed records a PPI is very much recommended.

In both cases I drove the cars home over 1,600 miles. I found that the road time in the cars very valuable. Because on cars over 10 years old no matter how well maintained there is always something that needs addressed and you will only find it by driving it. Plus, the adventure of driving a hot car on a long road trip is priceless. I believe these cars were meant to drive and I might as well start off by doing it right. Also, I have found that searching for a car out of state opens up your options and who knows you just might find a car that you never even considered before. That's how I ended up with my 02 Imola which was not close to being on my radar. Good luck in your search.

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I will be open minded and search other states also. It is a great and secure feeling knowing that you guys are out there to help :)

Like you, I wanted to find one in Missouri, but quickly realized that you have to look elsewhere if you want to get a hold of one. The St. Louis Car Museum has a 1999 yellow/black NSX coupe that I went to look at. I first saw it when it just arrived and the sales guy told me they had to take it in to have the front bumper repainted because of a big scratch on it. Also the rear seemed to have been in an accident of some sort. Anyway, if you wanna check it out... I believe it's there now. Autotrader, Ebay and the 'for sale' forum here are your best bet. Good luck in your search and when you finally get the NSX of your dreams you won't regret one second of it. :biggrin:

Btw, are you enjoying the snow we are getting here.... when when it's going to stop!!! :confused:

Last edited:
Like you, I wanted to find one in Missouri, but quickly realized that you have to look elsewhere if you want to get a hold of one. The St. Louis Car Museum has a 1999 yellow/black NSX coupe that I went to look at. I first saw it when it just arrived and the sales guy told me they had to take it in to have the front bumper repainted because of a big scratch on it. Also the rear seemed to have been in an accident of some sort. Anyway, if you wanna check it out... I believe it's there now. Autotrader, Ebay and the 'for sale' forum here are your best bet. Good luck in your search and when you finally get the NSX of your dreams you won't regret one second of it. :biggrin:

Btw, are you enjoying the snow we are getting here.... when when it's going to stop!!! :confused:

Thanks OmegaNSX, The NSX at the Car Museum seems greatly overpriced for a car that has a salvage title and has been in an accident, right? Also, just curious about purchasing from a place like that. Aren't those cars on consignment and usually have to pay a lot more for them?
Hating the snow today, looks beautiful, but got called into work and had to drive in it. I have a 2012 Honda Civic as my daily driver and considering... it did pretty well. In order for me to purchase the NSX, I will have to sell my S2000 which will be difficult for me, but consider the reward.... The amazing NSX......

Don't be afraid to look at a car outside of MO. Most owners here will jump at checking out a NSX for you if you live out of state. I live in Omaha Nebraska and bought my car from a guy in IL. About 7 hrs away. It was worth it, plus I had a cheesy grin on my face on the ride back.

I believe you are right.... those cars are on consignment. I know I wouldn't buy from them after seeing the car before it when into the paint shop. Do some research, ask questions (tons of it) and like most who have suggested it.... get a PPI to evaluate the car for you before you buy.... the money for the service is well worth it. Pictures look great, but that is all that they are good for to sell a car.

Question

I believe you are right.... those cars are on consignment. I know I wouldn't buy from them after seeing the car before it when into the paint shop. Do some research, ask questions (tons of it) and like most who have suggested it.... get a PPI to evaluate the car for you before you buy.... the money for the service is well worth it. Pictures look great, but that is all that they are good for to sell a car.

I want to ask what may be silly question. How do you feel about parking your NSX at the grocery store or shopping mall. Is it nerve-racking or are you all comfortable. Are there places that you won't drive your car? I don't mean the obvious places, like bad neighborhoods. Just wanted to get a "emotional" idea of what it is like to own an NSX

if you drive something that stands out, no matter how far from everyone you park - sooner or later some assclown will park right next to you. the question youre asking is will you care when it happens? or will you care if a shopping cart or car door bumps your car? and that answer depends on how much you value the car in question

me? no way in hell will i leave my car at a mall. theyre just too crazy. normal shops in nice areas? yeah, probably (i always park in the back of the lot no matter what im driving). you gotta strike a balance between "im driving it, everything else be damned" and "im too worried about getting a ding in a parking lot, let me take my daily to the store today". i worry a bit because parts are rare, it's not exactly a civic that you can get parts for everywhere on the cheap....

btw there are guys on here who use the nsx as a pickup truck and can leave it anywhere, and there are guys who only take it out to carefully planned destinations and don't leave it out of their sight. im trying to be somewhere in between :)

Buy private and from an individual that has a lot of paperwork to with it. PPI is a must and before I picked mine up I splurged ($350) on a one way plane ticket. The previous owner and I got together and the car and seller passed my B.S. test. I drove 650 miles home and have had a blast ever since. Good Luck and many miles of happy motoring

Back