Never Seen Rain

I knew a guy who was so meticulous about his car that it never saw water. He would use a duster and quick detailer to wash the car. Of course his car probably saw water at port and during transport to the dealer.

That's a real good way to ruin the finish. The duster is very limited as to what it will remove and then spreading what's left over the finish with detailer is not the best idea. Besides, there are airborn contaminants that can stain the finish even if it's not coming down with rain :(

i see no harm in driving your car in the rain,

rain has a lot of contaminants aka water spots but it could easily be removed by a quick wash after the rain.

also coming from a state where i see barely any nsx's around... let me say this
, drive the freakin car, you bought it for a reason.

2 weeks ago i passed an SLR under poring rain, IT HURT SO MUCH to see such beauty under such horrible rain @ I95 .... sucks .... i do think avoiding rain on a 400K + car is not a bad idea ..
OScar

In the 80s, I "paced" a white BMW M1 with Colorado license plates (in Texas) doing 140+ with all kinds of snow residue/road grime...it was kinda cool!

A BMW M1???? that is pretty cool. You never see those cars around. That would be a cool collectable car.

As for the rain comments, I don't give it much validity. I think any owner who freaks about rain and driving their car in puddles is missing out when it comes to enjoying their car. Then again I don't own an NSX but my current car costs almost twice what I was going to pay for my NA2 that was for sale in Vegas.

Let's see, 2 cars, 2 people, 2 jobs. Our NSX "sees" rain on a regular basis. Keep it well polished, wash it regularly, and I wonder if anyone can really tell the difference? (Not counting under-body cleaning maniacs...)

Just like my '98 CBR900RR did, only difference was I didn't start out riding in the rain or if there was a significant chance of rain / snow. I didn't mind the bike getting wet, it just sucks to ride in the rain.

I get spray on the NSX from the river I park 100 yards from at work. So, how about those folks who live / drive / vacation near the beach and / or lake?

I bet their cars "see" spray from being parked close to the water - does that negate "never seen rain"?

-D&L
2004 Rio Yellow / Onyx
2008 MDX

I think the title should be " NEVER SEEN THE SUN". The sun can cause more damage than the rain, unless it is acid rain. The car is parked in the sun with 95degrees + cause more damage interiorly, especially dashboard and electrical components.

So come on, what damage can the rain do?

Last edited:
I live in Oregon and my car has never been in the rain...

well, once on the way to get service it started sprinkiling so I had it fully detailed after the service.

I think the title should be " NEVER SEEN THE SUN". The sun can cause more damage than the rain, unless it is acid rain. The car is parked in the sun with 95degrees + cause more damage interiorly, especially dashboard and electrical components.

That's what a cockpit cover is for... :wink:

You are either joking, or new to cars.

Either way, own a black car, then talk to me about rain.....

Which color absorbs more heat from the sun- black (dark color) or white colors (lighter color)? Have you ever tried to put your hand on the black hood vs. white hood in the summer time? After sitting under the sun years after years, what would happen to the paint?

H2O spots on the black car can be washed off. Either way rain or wash, you still need to dry it off :tongue:

I never like black car anyway:biggrin:
icon13.gif

I have seen in vehicle descriptions "never seen rain" and I would like to hear from people who believe this claim is positive and of value. I really am curious and want the opinions and reasoning only of folks who genuinely think this is an important plus.

I would also like to know how would one verify such a claim?

I will not challenge, argue or render judgment on you or your responses. I really want to know what you are thinking and why.

For an exotic supercar I think it's def a plus. I wouldn't buy a Ferrari that was daily driven. I wouldn't buy a Lotus that sat out in the rain.
I just see it as a sign the car was babied and treated proper.
But, I think the NSX is different being that it's actually well built and thing like water don't cause it to break.

Heat builds up inside the cockpit- leather would shrink or curl-up, unless you open your window down

Since I'm a fair-weather driver, my top stays out all the time :smile: so with the deflective cover and yellow interior my car is "cool as a cucumber" in the afternoons...:biggrin:

Black is Beautiful

Which color absorbs more heat from the sun- black (dark color) or white colors (lighter color)? Have you ever tried to put your hand on the black hood vs. white hood in the summer time? After sitting under the sun years after years, what would happen to the paint?

H2O spots on the black car can be washed off. Either way rain or wash, you still need to dry it off :tongue:

I never like black car anyway:biggrin:
icon13.gif

There are lots of products that have UV inhibitors in them. Just because it is exposed to sunlight doesnt mean it wont protect the paint. My car doesn't sit out, but when I am driving it I know it is protectedl The paint still looks like new with exception of those annoying rock chips.

I am not trying to start a color war but in my opinion there is nothing more brilliant than a clean BLACK car!!! :biggrin:

Re: Black is Beautiful

There are lots of products that have UV inhibitors in them. Just because it is exposed to sunlight doesnt mean it wont protect the paint. My car doesn't sit out, but when I am driving it I know it is protectedl The paint still looks like new with exception of those annoying rock chips.

I am not trying to start a color war but in my opinion there is nothing more brilliant than a clean BLACK car!!! :biggrin:

For the five minutes they stay clean, have to agree :D

My car has never seen rain.

The main thing for me is keeping the underbody clean, and I'm too lazy and don't have time to actually go underneath the car and clean it. Also, road grime and water on the underbody can cause some corrosion/rust on certain pieces, which probably don't hurt the drivability of the car, but are very difficult to clean off if left on for any amount of time.

I get asked all the time "Well, do you wash your car, and what's the difference?" The difference is that washing your car doesn't get all the road grime, debris, oils, salts, etc., onto the underbody that driving in the rain does.

As for how to check, a look at the underbody I think will confirm yes or no. Few people are fanatical enough to clean the underbody after each rain.

A couple pics of the never touched or cleaned underbody on my car.

Click on the individual pics for full size.

I don't drive my NSX in the Rain, because of all the stuff that gets onto the underside. Cleaning it afterward is a bitch, getting all that rain and crud off in the little crevices.

Bram

Back