Need help to install the Hella fog lights!

What exactly do you need to know?

There are 3 wires: black wire, brown (ground), and gray wires. One wire is tap on the ignition, so it can be on at all time at low brightness (dim). The other should be, I believe when the parking light is on, brighter.

I don't know which one is which and where to tap them. Please see the diagram below. Thanks

Picture.jpg

I was thinking of getting these down the road. If you figure it out it sure would be helpful if you post a "how to" on the install and some pictures on the car.

Do you have the english instructions? I am having a tough time figuring out How this would have two levels of light. Unless 15 has a place for another power wire to connect.

Do you have the english instructions? I am having a tough time figuring out How this would have two levels of light. Unless 15 has a place for another power wire to connect.

That is so it came with, if you look carefully the second word is english! other pages show only how to mount the LED.

Last edited:
If you look , the insructions are in english, that's a pretty conclusive diagram.

Are these the LED DRL's?

This is showing how to wire them so that the park lights will interrupt power to the DRL when turned on.

- Terminal 30 is IGN

- Terminal 86 is park lights (red/blk wire in car)

- Terminal 85 is ground

- Terminal 87a is to DRL

Now - it becomes a different story if you simply want them on all the time with the key or with park lights -

On with key:

- Do not connect terminal 86 (or simply discard relay and connect directly to IGN (with fuse)

On with park lights:

- Connect terminal 86 to park lights (red/blk wire in car)

- Connect DRL wire to terminal 87 (NOT 87a)

I hope this makes it easier.

Unless I am wrong and there is some other circuitry added inside the relay, then there is not dim and bright, only on and off.

Last edited:
If you look , the insructions are in english, that's a pretty conclusive diagram.

Are these the LED DRL's?

This is showing how to wire them so that the park lights will interrupt power to the DRL when turned on.

- Terminal 30 is IGN

- Terminal 86 is park lights (red/blk wire in car)

- Terminal 85 is ground

- Terminal 87a is to DRL

Now - it becomes a different story if you simply want them on all the time with the key or with park lights -

On with key:

- Do not connect terminal 86 (or simply discard relay and connect directly to IGN (with fuse)

On with park lights:

- Connect terminal 86 to park lights (red/blk wire in car)

- Connect DRL wire to terminal 87 (NOT 87a)

I hope this makes it easier.

Unless I am wrong and there is some other circuitry added inside the relay, then there is not dim and bright, only on and off.

Thanks Angus

The diagram shows above is the relay that comes with the box, but it is useless for our cars.

Is the black wire will be conected directly to Ign wire in our car (with fuse)? And the gray wire is tapped onto the parking light of our car without fuse? And brown one is the ground of course.

Picture 004.jpg it also states that the LED switch off automatically when the vehicle lighting is on.
Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg Picture 002.jpg

Last edited:
You can use terminal C911 in the fusebox under the dash on the drivers side for the IGN power, and run it out thru the "firewall" to the front or where ever your relay is, It is already fused, but I would put in the appropriate size fuse right after you tap off.

Thank you, NXSter and Angus for your helps.

The only thing that i am still confusing is : These LED's have 2 modes- low bright and high bright. My assumption is when the IGN is on--> low bright. When the vehicle lights are on ----> high bright. Correct?

But then the booklet says LED's are automatically off when the vehicle lights on (I've revised the post above). I am confused at this point.

Thank you, NXSter and Angus for your helps.

The only thing that i am still confusing is : These LED's have 2 modes- low bright and high bright. My assumption is when the IGN is on--> low bright. When the vehicle lights are on ----> high bright. Correct?

But then the booklet says LED's are automatically off when the vehicle lights on (I've revised the post above). I am confused at this point.

From what I can tell, I believe you have it reversed. When the ignition is on, you should have it on "High Bright" or "Daytime Running Light" mode.

When you turn the vehicle lights on, the LEDs should go to "Low Bright" or "position/parking light" mode so as to not blind oncoming traffic during the night.

The Hella LED Daytime Running lights have a very wide dispersion, like High beams, so using them at full brightness at night is not recommended.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, I believe you have it reversed. When the ignition is on, you should have it on "High Bright" or "Daytime Running Light" mode.

When you turn the vehicle lights on, the LEDs should go to "Low Bright" or "position/parking light" mode so as to not blind oncoming traffic during the night.

The Hella LED Daytime Running lights have a very wide dispersion, like High beams, so using them at full brightness at night is not recommended.

OK! I will try to connect them sometimes this week. Thanks

OK! I will try to connect them sometimes this week. Thanks

Hey Joker. Any luck with these lights? Any pictures of the install?

Connecting those wires are not as easy as suggested. It did not turn out as I wanted. I will have the pictures soon.

Last edited:
Connecting those wires are not as easy as suggested. It did not turn out as I wanted. I will have the pictures soon.

That's a shame. I was thinking of getting the same setup. What did you not like? It seems like spicing the wires into the ignition and the lights would be the hardest part. I think that's the only way to get the dimming effect when the light are put on.

What difficulty did you have?
Love the look of them!

Hey Don, thanks for you feed back.

The diagram that you drew, well, it did not turn out . The wiring was partial right and partial wrong. Did you receive my last email? But anyway, I did it and I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Could you explain your issues a little more? I'm sure there are a lot of others here that are considering those Hella lights and would like to hear you install experiences (including myself). .. especially in regards to the High/Low function. :smile:

Back