Need Help! Oil Issue

Dawn,

Sorry to hear about the problem. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. As long as I had oil pressure, I'd have turned up the radio to drown out the noise.
In one of my past lives, our Navy boats had high end Italian racing boat engines. Think Ferrari, but tempermental, and that's an Isotta Fraschini. I know a few of them that had bearing clearances that exceeded limits and ran well for quite a while.
Stuff happens, keep the car, fix her when you can and enjoy her. It sucks that it happened, but on the bright side the car wasn't totaled in a wreck or stolen. Miner

:biggrin: Soo funny about turning up the radio , amidst the denial.. :eek:
But, really, Thansx* for reminding me: Although a tough situation, Not impossible to repair ~ :wink:

mjk said:
If the crank is scored, you are in for an expensive rebuild. Personally, if you were happy with it before (don't want more power) I would just drop another used block in there (3.0 or 3.2) and keep the stock engine mgmt.
If you think more power might be nice, there is never going to be a better time to do it. I personally like the ex-comptech now driving ambition 3.5L. Hope she is up and running soon. Joining us at Sebring? If so, you might score a ride in a stroker car there (I don't know who is coming).
Good luck with the repairs!

Keep the chin up. At the very least you're not in Michigan anymore! (me either, thank God).
Yes, crank is shot.... WHY* are the parts so expensive!?!? I know, I know....it's just the cost of having a limited production, high performance, awesome car...
Which leads to the reason (although I have been up a couple nights thinking and pondering if I should upgrade : think SC : I've always loved FX500 ....
*However, basically, in my mind, I see my car as a 'Classic'.... I'm thinking Long term... I just want to keep her as close to original as possible (the *best classics/antiques are those with the 'stock' / original parts, imho) ... .
However, I'm keeping my Tubi & CT's. :smile:

No--the previous listing was a '91. Mermaid--it might be worth having your mechainc check this one out. It's in Daytona Beach . This one is a '96 , includes tranny, cradle and other accessories and purportedly has 42k miles on it. Also, it's a no reserve auction.

Dawn,

Save the crankshaft for me. I'll be driving through FL in Apr or May (from Ft Lauderdale to somewhere in Tx) and I'd be interested in buying the old one off you. Its not that I need any more spare exotic car parts in my house, but would be something cool to have. Its crazy to have a piece of steel that new will cost you 4 large, and damaged is worth 50lbs of iron.

When the snap ring on my car broke, I was chafed, but after repairing it the pain and agitation goes away. When you get the new crank and bearings installed and all is well, the Chi will be good again.

Miner

Here is what I see for options:

"Swap it for a used block"
Used block $3-4k
+ services $1-2k
+ Install
= about 6k (minus salvage value for your block/heads)

"The I want to rebuild it to stock option"
SoS Engine refresh program $4,295.00
+ 2 rods $2k
+ crank $2.5k
+ oil pump $600
= about 9k

"Stock plus a little safety" (in case you want low boost later)
+ billet oil pump gear $500
+ cometic HG $200
+ ARP Studs $500
=about 10k

"And I want more displacement" (can build low comp for high boost later)
+ stroker crank $4.5k
+ pistons $1.1k
- factory crank $2.5k
+ Engine mgmt + tune $2k+
= about 15k

"And boost too"
+ SC/Turbo $10k
= about 25k

No matter what happens, don't sell the CT/Tubi. Sounds too good!

Sorry to read about your car Mermi...I thought you had resolved that issue.:frown:

1st Choice> Used engine swap option...I don't think it will negatively affect your resale value. As long as you can find a good one that has history.

2nd Choice> Stock plus safety from MJK's post

Best of Luck to you!!!

Totally sucks! I'm so sorry!

Gimme your paypal and I'll send you a contribution towards your repairs - it sounds like someone in the community screwed you (or didn't screw you in tight enough) it seems only fair the community helps fix the problem.

the ebay auction for the engine ended last night. I don't know if it sold or not. If it didn't sell, it may be back on ebay at some point.

It's back with a Buy It Now of $4900.00

It's in Fort Lauderdale too. Hmmmmm..... I can add it to my collection :)

Just a thought...did he use the crush washer when he changed the filter?

I was wondering the same thing? I am certain a fellow nsx owner would know to do that though.

Can you two geniuses please tell me where the crush washer for the oil filter goes?

Perhaps the "fellow NSX owner" purposely botched the job. Now there's something to ponder. Has the culprit been identified?

Some time ago I read in a Professional automotive magazine about a process (dunno the english name for it, probably something like "shot or spray welding") with which the cranck bearing surface is sprayed with fluid metal to put a new layer on, this new layer is grinded off to OE spec and this should be just as good as a new cranck at a lot lower price.
Perhaps something to investigate??

Last edited:
Hope Mermie's car is back on the road?

Yes, Thankfully we are back. My girl needed some serious refinement, after this faulty oil change. After $13,500 in the tank, she's up & running, with some extra horsies. But, an experience I would not wish on anyone. I have some photos I'll post soon. At least , at the very least, I have some artwork from this. :big grin: I'll be paying off this loan for the next 100 years :eek: But I have NO Doubt in my mind that this car is Worth it! (we've got a classic winner in our hands)....... :wink:

Back