NA1 brake caliper larger than NA2?

Hi,

the calipers seem to be the same... from all the inscriptions forged into them, it looks like it... and of the 2 pistons, 1 is the same size as NA1 and the other is smaller... the NA2 rear calipers have larger pistons... all this seems to improve the brake bias toward the rear, since i've read many times that the original NA1 brakes were bias toward the front and sometimes the rear would hang loose in a violent brake.

What mixes all this, is the fact that the NA2 NSX-R uses the front NA1 caliper but uses the rear NA2 caliper, and with this, it uses the bigger sizes available of all years.

Nuno

Why are you upgrading?

I see that they have increased the rear bias on the newer models. I ahve never been in a situation that I felt the back end was going to come around due to braking. I don't track my car but I have done quite a few canyon and mountain spirited drives.

Piston size is indeed bigger for a NA1.
I think the best OE setup would be to run Legend Type-II calipers (twin piston) those pistons are a good bit larger than NA2.
Best part on the Legend calipers are that they are dirt cheap.

I like the sound of that.

I remember back in the RX7 days when we would use parts from other Mazda's that were cheaper and better.

What years Legend would work?

I like the sound of that.

I remember back in the RX7 days when we would use parts from other Mazda's that were cheaper and better.

What years Legend would work?
1991-1995 JDM and EDM Honda Legend
1994-1995 Acura Legend GS and Acura Legend Coupe (Type-II)

Just look for Type-II calipers they are mostly $100

I would agree to adding more piston size in the back, but I would leave the front alone. I dont think you want to bias any more to the front.

I would agree to adding more piston size in the back, but I would leave the front alone. I dont think you want to bias any more to the front.
Brake bais is always a part that needs to be monitored carefully.
This is often overlooked.

It says Oe Piston.

I thought unloaded means no brake pads, which is perfect since I plan on using EBC Red stuff.

Running EBC red stuff in Type-II legend calipers could be a power full setup paired with 300MM discs up front and NA2 Calipers rear. (although you could start testing with NA1 Calipers in the rear) just be careful!

Running EBC red stuff in Type-II legend calipers could be a power full setup paired with 300MM discs up front and NA2 Calipers rear. (although you could start testing with NA1 Calipers in the rear) just be careful!

I currently have EBC Red Stuff on the NSX with NA1 brakes, x-drilled/slotted rotors and SS braided brake lines.

The stopping power is pretty dam good, but after driving the GTO and occasionally my brother's RX8 (both with x-drilled/slotted rotors and SS braided brake lines upgrades), I am looking for a little less pedal effort so I don't feel like I have to stand on the pedal to really stop the NSX on a dime.

I'm kind of leaning towards Big Ds take. I do feel like I have to apply my brakes a little harder than I did in my old 993 but that could actually be a good thing in a panic situation - would tend not to suprise you with a real quick stop - that bias thing is - well I'll leave that to others with more experience here but I'd be careful too.

Hi,

the calipers seem to be the same... from all the inscriptions forged into them, it looks like it... and of the 2 pistons, 1 is the same size as NA1 and the other is smaller... the NA2 rear calipers have larger pistons... all this seems to improve the brake bias toward the rear, since i've read many times that the original NA1 brakes were bias toward the front and sometimes the rear would hang loose in a violent brake.

What mixes all this, is the fact that the NA2 NSX-R uses the front NA1 caliper but uses the rear NA2 caliper, and with this, it uses the bigger sizes available of all years.

Nuno

So does this mean that you can use 97+ Rotors with 91-96 calipers? Is it just a matter of using different mounting brackets?

NA1 brake caliper larger than NA2?
There's no such thing as an "NA1 brake caliper" or an "NA2 brake caliper". NA1 and NA2 are engine codes, and don't have anything to do with the brakes.

There are two versions of the NSX brakes, as sold in the U.S.: (1) the version sold on 1991-1996 model year cars, which all had the 3.0-liter engine that the NA1 engine code represents, and (2) the version sold on 1997-2005 model year cars, some of which (those with automatic transmissions) had the 3.0-liter NA1 engine, and others of which (those with manual transmissions) had the 3.2-liter NA2 engine.

Apparently you are asking about a comparison between the size of the brake calipers between the '91-96 and the '97-05. The brake pads are the same size but the pistons in the calipers are different sizes between the two versions.

.....Apparently you are asking about a comparison between the size of the brake calipers between the '91-96 and the '97-05. The brake pads are the same size but the pistons in the calipers are different sizes between the two versions.

So the pistons in the '97-05 are smaller in the front calipers and larger in the rear calipers?

There are two versions of the NSX brakes, as sold in the U.S.: (1) the version sold on 1991-1996 model year cars, which all had the 3.0-liter engine that the NA1 engine code represents, and (2) the version sold on 1997-2005 model year cars, some of which (those with automatic transmissions) had the 3.0-liter NA1 engine, and others of which (those with manual transmissions) had the 3.2-liter NA2 engine.

Actually 3 versions. Gold for 2002+ (even though I know it's the same caliper - but gold makes it another version. :tongue:)

Back