My NSX cupholder solution

My single biggest issue with my NSX is that it lacks a cupholder. I have seen all the other options out there, and frankly do not care for any of those other options. So I set out to make my own.
I pulled the cupholder out of my RSX, and discovered that it was very close to fitting in the NSX armrest. With a little modification to the cupholder, I was able to get a near perfect fit. Let me know what you guys think.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20130417_170004.jpg
    20130417_170004.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,307
  • 20130417_165954.jpg
    20130417_165954.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,415
My single biggest issue with my NSX is that it lacks a cupholder. I have seen all the other options out there, and frankly do not care for any of those other options. So I set out to make my own.
I pulled the cupholder out of my RSX, and discovered that it was very close to fitting in the NSX armrest. With a little modification to the cupholder, I was able to get a near perfect fit. Let me know what you guys think.

Hey that's not a bad fit. I'm looking for a cup holder solution as well for my 91. Where was it loose? What modifications did you do to have it fit?

nicely done...Does your arm get in the way while shifting? I may consider this, I never drink in my car, unless on a long road trip.

You could probably just push it all the way to the back so i don't think it would be a problem.. looks like it would perform better then the flimsy new style cup holders.

nicely done...does your arm get in the way while shifting? I may consider this, i never drink in my car, unless on a long road trip.

I can't believe this is a problem for you guys. LOL. ask me what would happen if someone tried to eat or drink in my car.

Turbo What would happen if say you know someone decided to eat a big mac in your car?

Last edited:
Turbo What woul happen if say you know someone decided to eat a big mac in your car?

LOL... Guy or girl... If girl... Hot or not... If hot... How hot.... Punishment must fit the crime.

What year RSX was yours? I don't know if they changed the cup holders at all through out the years.

Yes, the cupholder is the same for all years rsx. I bought a new one from Acura for $19 shipped. You can also find them used on ebay for about $20-25 used.

To make the cup holder fit properly into the center console, I needed to trim 4 tabs off on the bottom of the cupholder, and I then used a belt sander to take off about 1/8" of material from the side of it to make it fit snug. Right now the cup holder is not secured down, however, it fits very tightly.

The major drawback to this cup holder, is that the center console lid must be open while using the cup holder, but I dont see any easy fixes for this, as I do not want to remove the lid all together. Another drawback is that your beverage is in the way of your arm while shifting, but this is not specific to this cupholder, but rather that there is no other good spot for a cup holder in the NSX.

Last edited:
That is a very good find. I've been trying to figure a way to keep bottle water close accessible while driving. I have to check how much interference this would cause w shifting.

I've got one of the oneadam12 ones and it's amazing. Great solution for a coffee fanatic!

I think Autozone sell a similar cupholder. Not my cup of tea

I looked into several options for a cupholder and the Dali Racing one works best for me. Fits over the parking brake with the neoprene around to prevent scratching the console and handbrake. Only drawback is that you can't use it when the car is parked and the brake is needed. I just set the cup on the passenger side floor when the car isn't moving. It's still being sold but check for availability.

The standard one:

cupholder1.jpg

The supersize one (I don't believe this size is offered anymore). This will even hold the XL In-N-Out cup that's the largest soda cup I've come across lately.

cupholder2.jpg

Last edited:
do you guys really need a drink while driving your nsx? You can't go a few minutes or even an hour without a refreshment?

You are kind of screwed if the cup is over 4 inches tall. I don't drink in my car that often but if I have to I usually just use a bottle with a lid on it.

You are kind of screwed if the cup is over 4 inches tall. I don't drink in my car that often but if I have to I usually just use a bottle with a lid on it.

My favorite was doing just this with a bottle and setting it on the left side of my driver's seat on the trip from Denver to Minneapolis. I braked a bit and didn't notice the bottle slide forward and conveniently come to rest sideways under the pedals. A few moments later I went to push in the clutch/brake and found the pedals not wanting to perform as normal - forcing me to choose the open lane next to me (thankfully) instead of ramming the slowed traffic. So now I set the bottle on the passenger side and wedge it between the console and seat cushion. So far so good!

I know this may seem crazy to some, but they do sell soda and almost every drink nowadays in bottles with re-sealable lids. I vowed not to eat or drink in my car, but on the 24hr drive home I broke that rule within 3 hours. Bottles it is and the eating rule is nothing with crumbs or anything small that can fall into cracks and crevices. I love licorice, so I bought that to eat (My vice since I quit smoking 2.5 yrs ago).

But if I ever want something to drink, I buy it in a bottle with a resealable lid. If I were a coffee drinker, I'd do what my boss does (because he's anal about spilling in his new pickup) and buy a thermos thats slightly larger than a cup and has a snap on lid. Pop the lid open and you can drink straight from it... He just has them make his coffee, he pours it in the thermos and then tosses the cup out...

I just throw my drinks on the passenger seat. If I've got a passenger, they go on the pass floorboard.

Last edited:
:) I'm in your camp pretty much also - no cupholder planned for me as I've sworn off any food or drink whatsoever in my NSX since the thing smells brand new inside. Maybe water if I had to have something. The prior owner did a great job with keeping food out as well as always leaving a DampRid in the cabin. But I've used that shoe idea when sitting in the back seat somewhere on longer road trips. Works great!

Back