My impression at DAS

First off I would like to say that Toyota took the show by far..... There concept cars were unreal and there new motor for the lexus supercar is less than 5 liters comes with ITB's and generates over 500HP. The styling was beautiful and complete. The car did not look like a rough schetch like the ASC.

Honda/Acura on the other hand..... Was a complete joke. All they did was talk over and over about the SH-AWD and it got really enoying. Its like the only thing they could bring to the table. The ASC was nice but very un-tuned, and was delivered to them with little info, And a release date of 2010 I was told by one of the Acura reps. Which on there own was a whole nother level of disapointment. I approached the only male at the Acura booth and spoke with him for about a half hour. All of which was complete bs. I really wanted to strangle the guy after listening to him try to pretend he knew what he was talking about..... Some of the things he said were

"The little 3.5(yes 3.5) in the old nsx was just not powerful enough to keep up in this market"

"Acura loses money on all there sports cars"

"My camaro is faster than the nsx and costs alot less to"

"The actual car is going to be BIGGER than the concept"

"I drive a dodge hemi"

This guy should not have been the rep for acura at one of the worlds largest manufactoring shows. This was a complete joke!

As for the ASC I like the idea but for the 120,000 price tag! I would much rather have an R8 for 110,000 And get my mid engine all wheel drive.

Heres a vid for your pleasure tell me what you think.
.. width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zif6CuzV94"></param><embed allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" enableJSURL="false" enableHREF="false" saveEmbedTags="true" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zif6CuzV94" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed>..

LoL Hey when did you go? was it during press week or general public?

This is the same display that Honda/Acura does every year NAIAS. The HSC was in the same spot last time. The woman I spoke to during press week said that they didn't tell them anything beyond the press release that was given out ( she gave me a copy ) so sounds like your guy was making up stuff just to sound more knowledgeable ( LoL which in turn made him sound stupid ). After press week they use local dealer people to man the stands and as you can see they're clueless. $120k pricing???? pricing hasn't been released and at this point they have no clue so they mislead you on this as well again they don't know anything beyond the price release and you liked the R8 :confused: That car looked better in pictures. It looks like a 60-70k car tops. Also believe it or not don't dodge the women at the Acura booth next time if they don't know something they tend not to make up an anwser. I know it's tough as most men don't think women now anything about cars ,but most women in Michigan ( at least that I meet ) prefer foreign cars and as such do their homework. You'd be surprised how many times women that were complete strangers new exactly what my NSX was.

Yeah Toyota had a much cooler display ,but the LF-A was just spinning on a circle they could've diplayed it better. Did you ride the FJ cruiser display? That was a lot of fun. Nice to have someone post who's actually seen the instead of people dissing the car because of pictures. It's funny ,but that car doesn't photograph well. If it had been red people could see it's dimensions better.

Wow that's interesting. Seeing it on video makes it look much better from the front and sides than in all the pictures. How was the back in person?

Yes the R8 was beautifull I truly believe its what the next nsx should have been..... But all aluminum.

The ASC looked much better in person but for being a 100k$ car its not my next choice thats for sure.

I like the fact that there only going to make 500 R8's and for only two years so 250 a year.....

Yes the R8 was beautifull I truly believe its what the next nsx should have been..... But all aluminum.

The ASC looked much better in person but for being a 100k$ car its not my next choice thats for sure.

I like the fact that there only going to make 500 R8's and for only two years so 250 a year.....

I don't think it's ( ASC ) is going to cost that much. Honda nows it would price itself out of the market. Besides the ASC won't be hand assembled like the NSX so that is going to reduce cost quite a bit. Honda tends to undercut it's market so if it's going after M6/Aston territory we should expect the car in the $70-80K range. Honda won't price it the same as the LF-A.

I don't think it's ( ASC ) is going to cost that much. Honda nows it would price itself out of the market. Besides the ASC won't be hand assembled like the NSX so that is going to reduce cost quite a bit. Honda tends to undercut it's market so if it's going after M6/Aston territory we should expect the car in the $70-80K range. Honda won't price it the same as the LF-A.

I beg to differ. Anything honda produces with a V-10 and an exotic will be over 100k I would almost be willing to put money on it.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVWancuxhjQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVWancuxhjQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

I beg to differ. Anything honda produces with a V-10 and an exotic will be over 100k I would almost be willing to put money on it.

It's interesting that the survey on the site did ask people what they'd pay for the car with several options under the $100k. Well I guess only time will tell.

The R8 is really looking like an attractive option. I dont know if i could ever get used to paddle shifters tho.

I agree the Acura booth was a joke. Half finished concept cars? no excuse.

All I know is the R8 ROCKS. At this point, it is my next step if I don't go to a 360.

Not only manual but GATED shifter. :biggrin:
0612_z+2008_audi_r8+07.jpg

I love this car.
0612_z+2008_audi_r8+08.jpg

0612_z+2008_audi_r8+09.jpg

Beautiful.
0612_z+2008_audi_r8+05.jpg

Only negative is the cf strip on the side? I'm sure it could be painted with no problem if that does make it to the production model.

Audi has set production of the R8 at 15 cars per day (http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/R8.html) - which is about 3,500 units annually, of which about 1,000 will come to the US.

I also doubt that it will be a 2-year production run as Audi is looking at 4 cylinder (turbo) and V10 variants. No V6 variant is planned as it would compete with the 911, and Porsche is now the largest shareholder of VW.

Rumor was, that Porsche will spin off VW and two smaller car companies it gets in the deal, while the next generation Murcielago and Gallardo will share the same platform, with the Gallardo going rear wheel drive for added "nimbleness".

The Audi R8 is everything the HSC should have been.

AWD, V8, 400+hp, Mid engine, manual 6 speed transmission, exotic supercar styling, and coming in around the $100,000 mark.

Shame on Acura for associating this ASC touring car with the NSX.
That is just sad. That would have been like Ford promising a next generation GT40 supercar and then revealing a Mustang GT with racing stripes in a 2+2 format. Do they really think their customers are that stupid? Do THEY really think this is an NSX calibre advancement in styling?

There is nothing wrong with coming out with a nice touring car to compete with the LF-A or other higher end luxo-touring cars. Just don't try to tell us it's an exotic car, or play off the NSX reputation to sell it to the public. That's just lame, and makes them look desperate.

The HSC had exotic car styling that reminded us of an Enzo/Zonda/Koenigsegg or other supercar. Sure, it needed some final polishing. But if anyone could make another affordable supercar, Honda could have done it. Give us a 430/Gallardo performance and a sexy looking mid engine body at about 2/3 the price of those other two. Just like the NSX was to the 348 when it came out 17 years ago.

If Audi can do it for around $100K, Honda could have done it better.

A sad day for exotic car fans.

The Audi R8 is everything the HSC should have been.

AWD, V8, 400+hp, Mid engine, manual 6 speed transmission, exotic supercar styling, and coming in around the $100,000 mark.

That is just sad. That would have been like Ford promising a next generation GT40 supercar and then revealing a Mustang GT with racing stripes in a 2+2 format. Do they really think their customers are that stupid? Do THEY really think this is an NSX calibre advancement in styling?

There is nothing wrong with coming out with a nice touring car to compete with the LF-A or other higher end luxo-touring cars. Just don't try to tell us it's an exotic car, or play off the NSX reputation to sell it to the public. That's just lame, and makes them look desperate.

The HSC had exotic car styling that reminded us of an Enzo/Zonda/Koenigsegg or other supercar. Sure, it needed some final polishing. But if anyone could make another affordable supercar, Honda could have done it. Give us a 430/Gallardo performance and a sexy looking mid engine body at about 2/3 the price of those other two. Just like the NSX was to the 348 when it came out 17 years ago.

If Audi can do it for around $100K, Honda could have done it better.

A sad day for exotic car fans.

I couldnt have said it any better. I feel like you read my mind. Its almost creepy!:biggrin:

The R8 is really looking like an attractive option. I dont know if i could ever get used to paddle shifters tho.

Indeed. I'm sorry to say the R8 just makes me feel better than the ASC.

Huge digression coming...

However, after paddle shifters I don't think I could go back to manual!! I've always been perplexed as to the resistance to F1 shifters. As long as the shift was smooth & efficient (under 150 milliseconds) isn't it the best way to shift a vehicle?

The only reason we use a stick is to have control over the gearbox. The F1 tranny shifts much faster than any human. Who wants to bother with a clutch and stick anymore? I've never seen it as a matter of "purity". I don't ascribe any "purity" or "heritage" to a manual tranny--it was simply the most efficient tranny at the time. There were no other options.

As a driver I want the most control over a car I can have and the F1 tranny provides that. Even the most skilled manual driver can't outshift an F1 tranny or use it to his advantage more than an F1 tranny.

OK, I'm done.:biggrin:

First off I would like to say that Toyota took the show by far..... There concept cars were unreal and there new motor for the lexus supercar is less than 5 liters comes with ITB's and generates over 500HP. The styling was beautiful and complete. The car did not look like a rough schetch like the ASC.

Honda/Acura on the other hand..... Was a complete joke. All they did was talk over and over about the SH-AWD and it got really enoying. Its like the only thing they could bring to the table. The ASC was nice but very un-tuned, and was delivered to them with little info, And a release date of 2010 I was told by one of the Acura reps. Which on there own was a whole nother level of disapointment. I approached the only male at the Acura booth and spoke with him for about a half hour. All of which was complete bs. I really wanted to strangle the guy after listening to him try to pretend he knew what he was talking about..... Some of the things he said were

"The little 3.5(yes 3.5) in the old nsx was just not powerful enough to keep up in this market"

"Acura loses money on all there sports cars"

"My camaro is faster than the nsx and costs alot less to"

"The actual car is going to be BIGGER than the concept"

"I drive a dodge hemi"

This guy should not have been the rep for acura at one of the worlds largest manufactoring shows. This was a complete joke!

As for the ASC I like the idea but for the 120,000 price tag! I would much rather have an R8 for 110,000 And get my mid engine all wheel drive.

Heres a vid for your pleasure tell me what you think.
.. width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zif6CuzV94"></param><embed allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" enableJSURL="false" enableHREF="false" saveEmbedTags="true" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zif6CuzV94" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed>..

Great job, thanks for the update... agree 100%.. I'm warming up to the audi... R8.. thanks.

AC

Very well put. I'm saddened by Honda's decision to pass this off as the NSX successor. It's a total surrender and the signing of the death certificate to the NSX philosophy as we know it. We should be thankful the NSX was made at all. Something like it may never come along in our lifetime.

I'm really surprised given Honda's investment in F1 that it went down this way. I guess Honda was being intentionally vague about the NSX's future for a reason. They couldn't even give the NSX it's rightful place in history and retire what it stood for. Instead they have a gauche, uninspiring, timidly bred non-race/track car that needs the NSXs legendary name to be marketed. :rolleyes:

Should have seen it coming. Honda's failure to market and improve the NSX over the last 13 years spoke volumes about how important the NSX's philosophy was to Honda. The NSX truly died with Soichiro.

When the ASC first came out several weeks ago I bashed the reporters calling it the next NSX. Now I know they were getting that info straight from the horse's mouth. What a joke. :frown:

The below photo makes me want to barf.

Attachments

• nsx-asc joke.jpg
    nsx-asc joke.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Barf is an understatement, It looks like a fx45 under that damn sheet. This is a total disaster! They should have just produced the HSC or nothing at all..... Untill I can get my hands on an R8 ill be keeping the nsx and just make it fast enough for my needs. The styling of our current nsx to me is better than 90% of the sports/exotics made today. Its a timeless design and still sought after!

Hey I was back at the autoshow today and talked with one of the people there to see if I could get any more information. I was told pricing would be between $75-80K as they are going with mass production on this one. More finalized version to be shown at the Tokyo auto show and production in 19 mos. I probably won't buy the first year ,but thats good news to me as that's very affordable. Can't wait to have all three ( NSX , S2K and ASC )in the driveway and more especially I can't wait to get that baby on the track:biggrin:

Hey I was back at the autoshow today and talked with one of the people there to see if I could get any more information. I was told pricing would be between $75-80K as they are going with mass production on this one. More finalized version to be shown at the Tokyo auto show and production in 19 mos. I probably won't buy the first year ,but thats good news to me as that's very affordable. Can't wait to have all three ( NSX , S2K and ASC )in the driveway and more especially I can't wait to get that baby on the track:biggrin:

I'd be shocked if they can get this car anywhere near $75K. That would be great, but I can't see it since the RL already MSRP's at $49K with the old 3.5L non VTEC SOHC J35 engine. With them making the jump to a brand new V10 with carbon fiber chassis and who knows what other exotic materials for suspension, I just don't see anything under $100K. I hope I'm wrong because on the survey I was one of them that said they should sell this car for $70K. At that price I'd think about buying one even if it is no NSX replacement. The only way I see $80K or under is if two engines are offered and a V8 version is $80K and the V10 version is $110K or something.

If Chevy can do it with a V8 Honda can do it with a V10:biggrin: Vipers sell for $85-90k range Honda can beat that. At this price point Honda should be able to take sales from Chevy , Dodge , Nissan and Porsche:wink: I can't tell you how excited this makes

First of all, Acura dealers will have a HUGE markup just like Honda dealers did with the S2K. There's no way it will sell for under 100K sticker, and then mark up will make it 115-120. Then, after the first year when they sell a whopping 3,500 cars you'll be able to get one for 50K because no one will want one. I predict the R8 will kick this car's ass on the track, and look way better doing it. Especially once it gets the V-10.

First of all, Acura dealers will have a HUGE markup just like Honda dealers did with the S2K. There's no way it will sell for under 100K sticker, and then mark up will make it 115-120. Then, after the first year when they sell a whopping 3,500 cars you'll be able to get one for 50K because no one will want one. I predict the R8 will kick this car's ass on the track, and look way better doing it. Especially once it gets the V-10.

That's okay I won't buy the first year. Never know what Honda can do:biggrin: People's predictions prove wrong all the time so we'll just have to wait and see. Honda gave us giant killers in the NSX and then the S2k. They whipped up on cars that alway's had more hp and now you wanna try Honda at close to even hp......puh lease!

Back