My Diablo Replica

I get a lot of requests for photos of my Diablo replica. So I’m attaching a few to this thread. It’s built on a 1987 Fiero GT frame that was stretched by 11” to match the actual Diablo wheelbase. The body kit is made by Triangle-G in North Hollywood, and looks like a 1999 Diablo VT Roadster. The interior is by IFG in Chino, 100% leather and real carbon fiber. For now, the engine is just a stock Fiero V6. Currently, the car is at IFG getting the frame reinforced to accept a bigger motor and transmission. This car won 1st place at the 2002 Knott’s Berry Farm show, which is the largest “handcrafted” car show on the west coast.

Attachments

• showimagez(3).jpg
    showimagez(3).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 829
Interior

Attachments

• knotts interior.jpg
    knotts interior.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 801
front

Attachments

• showimagez(1).jpg
    showimagez(1).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 793
another photo at Knotts

Attachments

• knotts outside.jpg
    knotts outside.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 774
How nice!

That's even more amazing than the <A HREF="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=848531&page=1">Mercedes Vision SLR replica</A> (and better looking too in my opinion :D)!!!

So what times do you get on the track??? :D oh... bad question... sorry...
And what do you insure it as? A diablo or a Fiero GT?

Very nice! Much nicer then the Ferrari TR replica at Autos of Europe by me in St. Louis MO IMO

Do you mind filling us in on your project?

- Money invested
- Time invested
- etc

You should be proud - excellent job...

Pork,

If you had not told us this was a replica, I would not have known. It looks...well it looks exactly like a Diablo.

Like everyone else, I would love it if you could provide some more details on its construction and what your plans are for the powerplant.

i've always wondered about replicas. they'e much cheaper to buy, but how does the insurance work?

you've got something that is worth $200k+ if it's real. i love the diablo vt roadster....second to the special edition victoria secret diablo. ;)

Man, I've always wanted to build a Diablo kit car, but time has always been against me. How long have you been working on yours? Thats definetly a work of art you should be proud of. What engine? LS1 should be a consideration I think. Bang for your buck wise you cant go wrong with the chevy 350;)

Wow guys, thanks for all the compliments! I can’t take all the credit, or even most of the credit for this replica. There are some real craftsman that worked on this thing, but I’m not one of them. My job is to bring lots of money.

You have to remember that this car is all about looking good. Boulevard pimpin’. It still is a 16-year old Fiero underneath, and handles like one. I’ve got about $65,000 invested in it with probably another $10,000 to go. The engine will most likely be a small block chevy, with just a few mods, and I’ll be beefing up the suspension and brakes. There’s a guy on the Diablo builders forum that’s building a V16. He’s mating two V-8s together. That will be an awesome machine.

Insurance and registration are tricky. Some people have been able to get their replica registered as a real Diablo. Mine is registered and insured as a Fiero. I have a high replacement value for insurance, but I’ll still take a big loss if the car gets totaled or stolen.

To see what really goes into building one of these visit Dale Van Blockland’s site.
http://www.lambobuilder.com/main.html
He documented every stage of his build. He’s using a Cadillac Northstar engine, and it has taken 5 years to complete. It’s for sale on E-Bay.

And oh yes…the Victoria Secret Diablo…..I can’t look at it for too long or I start to drool…

Attachments

• victoria secret diablo2.jpg
    victoria secret diablo2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 676
yup, that's the one from the lamborghini club of america...they've got tons of pics and info on all the years. at one point i even considered getting a nice '91 or '92..they're going for about $100-120k but that's still quite pricey for such an old car.

thanks for sharing the lambo builder site. it's quite interesting.:)

PorknBeanz said:

Insurance and registration are tricky. Some people have been able to get their replica registered as a real Diablo. Mine is registered and insured as a Fiero. I have a high replacement value for insurance, but I’ll still take a big loss if the car gets totaled or stolen.

Does that mean if one totals a replica registered as a real Diablo the insurance company would compansate accordingly? IE put in 80K in the replica and the insurance would pay out 150+K???

92NSX said:
I have seen that pic elsewhere....the one with the angels

You're not confusing it with Single Samuari's thread? :D Or MYNSX's girly page? ;)

<B>PorknBeanz</B> : You've done a really amazing job... would you ever consider buying a real diablo after playing around with a replica?

Has anyone heard of any NSX replica? Now that would create a riot on this board! :eek:

Jim said:
Check out this Diablo replica for sale for $179,995! :eek:

JC was at the 2003 Knott's show and brought his Diablo replica and his F-50 replica. I believe he won first place in the Lambo and Ferrari catagories. Here's a link to JC's page on the Daiablo builders site showing his car next to a real Diablo.

http://www.kitcentral.com/cgi-bin/showprogress.cgi?builderid=54&zoom=2099&startat=0

The F-50 replica looks really good but the nose is a little long, and the interior says Firebird. I think it's a very good buy. Ferrari replicas are hard to sell though. If you list one on EBay, Ferrari makes them delete it. The builders that made Ferrari replicas were all served legal notices about trademark violations and threatened with legal action. They builders are even prevented from showing photos of the cars that they built in the past.

I don't think I would get a real Diablo after owning my replica. I am thinking about selling it and getting a Murcielago replica though. Recently, I tore apart my NSX with the intention of lengthening the wheelbase and putting a Murcielago body on it, but I couldn't bring myself to cut the frame in half. Instead, I ordered a Comptech widebody kit and the 2002 headlights.

very good move with the CT widebody. if you chopped up the nsx for the murcielago replica, i think you'll be get tons of emails from nsx community....

there is no substitute for the nsx...:)

Why wouldn't you spend another $20K and get a real Diablo (used low mile early model)? I don't understand the replica thing.

there may not be any noticeable differences on the outside (body, interior, etc...), but it's a whole difference world on the inside (engine, wiring, suspension, etc...)

i would also just go for the earlier low mileage diablos...personally, i don't think i can sleep at night knowing it's a replica....i just want it to be geniune....down to nuts and bolts.:)

Back