My Datsun S30Z

I appreciate it. It's going to get much better. I'm cleaning up the front end by going with a full 240Z conversion. Turn signals, bumper, maybe Fairlady grille, and a nice Type 1 airdam would make the car look 100% better.

303whp @ 10psi was the only dyno numbers ever attained. Torque was something like 320ft lbs.
The car runs 10psi on low with 16psi on high for now. Tuned for 20+ and I'm slowly working it back to it. You can do the math and figure out it's a pretty stout car.

Tony used to run it in autocross consistently and I feel like the car, with better wheels and more appropriate fitting tires, could be alot of fun. However, right now she's a great ornament as she's about to get shipped where I'm stationed and where I'm stationed has pretty much nothing as far as motorsports is concerned.

If I could get it on youtube, I have a few videos of me running the Dragon in the car..

awesome. I was worried it was all show and no go.

Nice car, but I can't help but note that you've come full circle in just over 2 years.

DSC_2242.JPG

Nice car, but I can't help but note that you've come full circle in just over 2 years.

DSC_2242.JPG

Yep. Still miss that car too haha. And the pendulum will swing back to NSX soon enough, but by then I'll have both cars and there I will strike a balance haha. :biggrin:

I'm still impressed with the way the car was able to hang with you all through the Dragon.

Last edited:
I've got a few updates. First of all, I got the Z down to TX in one piece.

Ended up driving her down instead of shipping. I was worried she wasn't reliable enough to make it, but I made the judgment that if she wasn't reliable enough to drive down there, what made me think she'd be reliable when she got there?

Anyway, the trip went without a hiccup ( save for a flash downpour about 20 miles north of New Orleans which the car DID NOT LIKE ).

Went to a state-wide Texas Nissans meet at the San Marcos airport between San Antonio and Austin where a few pics of the car were taken.

Right now I'm currently gathering parts for my 240Z front end conversion. I have turn signals and early 240Z front bumper brackets so far. Still looking around for OEM Fairlady mirrors.

979209230_YeJuc-X2.jpg

texasnissans2010099.jpg

Great S30 man! I LOVE those cars. If or when I decide to build another car that will probably be it. I'll probably go the SR or RB route though.

I'm also glad you removed the headlight covers. The only other thing I’d do is replace the lip with a better looking one.

I think that car's older than the internet haha, and I don't believe he actually owns her anymore.

I'm sure he does. He is just taking on a second project:
http://web.me.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Z-Blog.html

Great S30 man! I LOVE those cars. If or when I decide to build another car that will probably be it. I'll probably go the SR or RB route though.

I'm also glad you removed the headlight covers. The only other thing I’d do is replace the lip with a better looking one.

I'm sure he does. He is just taking on a second project:
http://web.me.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Z-Blog.html

Yeah I actually meant to update that post because I saw him 2 weekends ago at that statewide Nissan meet. Cool car, but I'd say a showpiece if nothing else.

That thing's an RB26 and there's a guy in Knoxville who had an SR put in his ( huge thread on 6speedonline ) already, so it's definitely been done before.

You wouldn't believe how different the car feels without the headlight covers. A rock smashed the driver's side cover a month or two back which is part of the reason I took them off. They really calm down the front end though.

Yeah the front of the car is hideous, I know. That's why I'm doing the 240Z front end conversion with a Type 1 airdam. Very classic. Acquiring the OEM Fairlady mirrors when I can find them.

Last edited:
I'm rejoicing in the fact that I just scored these UBER RARE and EXTREMELY hard to find black OEM Fairlady Z mirrors.
An NSXPrime member pointed me toward the ad! ( Thanks Aero! :cool: )

From seeing the ad, to negotiation, to paypal, it took 10 minutes. This is why these things are so hard to find. They're gone in a matter of hours! Like JDM or 02+ NSX tail lights :biggrin:

5014916066_40f2696ee2_z.jpg

Shew! Long time, no post.

Time sure's fun when you're flying...er...yeah.

So after moving down to Del Rio, flying took up a majority of my time, but I'm currently set to move to Corpus Christi to fly with Navy and have had some time to mess with the car.

I combined my Fairlady Z mirrors, a '71 slim bumper I had rechromed in San Antonio, some new headlight covers, and a new airdam into my 240Z retrofit project. Since I'm moving, I took some pics for memory's sake here at Laughlin.

Enjoy!

19May11Zshoot032.jpg

19May11Zshoot010.jpg

19May11Zshoot006.jpg

19May11Zshoot024.jpg

I've listed the car for sale, but not sure I can do it as I've put alot of blood, sweat, and tears into her for the past few years. The NSX is too addicting.

Last edited:
Are those camber plates on the front towers? Haven't seen any like that and at that angle.

How much was it to get your bumpers rechromed?

My 240z LS1 is on the road.....in the debugging phase.

Are those camber plates on the front towers? Haven't seen any like that and at that angle.

How much was it to get your bumpers rechromed?

My 240z LS1 is on the road.....in the debugging phase.

Yeah they're mounted that way for max caster. The car has a ridiculous amount of it now with a decent amount of camber already.

I had the front one done by a shop called A&S plating in downtown San Antonio for about $140 if I remember right. They straightened it by hand (hammer) and then chromed. I heard there was a place in Houston that did concourse grade chroming, but my bumper looks pretty darn good.

Ha what's bugged with your 240Z?

Ha what's bugged with your 240Z?

There's a place up here that will rechrome but wanted to get an idea of cost if they quote me something ridiculous. My bumpers are pretty good except under the original black rubber

Noticed a small squeek rattle on the LS1 motor so chasing that down. Autometer tach not working right. Going thru different springs, have Tokico Illuminias with their springs and didn't like the ride height so put the originals back on and after a week the original 38 year old rear springs are sagging bad.

Car seems really fast and haven't even pushed it yet...having an accurate tach would help.

This is cool. What suspension are you running? Is it maxed out?

I have Koni yellows up front, Tokico HPs out back in sectioned strut housings with AFCO 2.5" springs, 200lb/in front, 250lb/in rear. Heim-joined front LCAs, Extended TCs, CC plates. Everything's solid or poly. About 7/8" sways front and rear.
I'm not sure what the Konis are valved at currently, but it really dials out the understeer that Zs tend to have paired with the stiffer rear.

I'd like to eventually section the front housings about a half inch more, go with the same struts front and back with adjustable valving, then cut off the old spring perches and weld threaded sleeves for some height adjustment, true coilover. Not sure what to go with. I'm curious as to what the struts/springs are for the AZC coilovers.

There's a place up here that will rechrome but wanted to get an idea of cost if they quote me something ridiculous. My bumpers are pretty good except under the original black rubber

Noticed a small squeek rattle on the LS1 motor so chasing that down. Autometer tach not working right. Going thru different springs, have Tokico Illuminias with their springs and didn't like the ride height so put the originals back on and after a week the original 38 year old rear springs are sagging bad.

Car seems really fast and haven't even pushed it yet...having an accurate tach would help.

If they charge you more than say $350 for both, and it's not an absolute show-car chrome job, then you're getting gouged I'd say.

It's probably a simple problem with the tach because it's not like you're running the engine through the old Datsun tach. What's it doing? Bouncing around? Seems lower than what the engine sounds like it's running? I know some of them need a resistor in-line.

Those Illuminas are hard to set up just right. That's why Tony opted for the non-adjustable HPs because they have a good baseline. I'm not sure what the spring-constant is for the springs that come with the Illuminas, but you might try looking around at pairing some other brands with them since they're not too expensive.

What kind of diff are you running?

Last edited:
what are the holes in the rear for? Original bumper? Any pics of how it used to look like if that's the case?

They're in every Z. Nothing was ever mounted there, they're just obscured by the bumper. I'm thinking of getting a 240Z rear bumper to match the front since I already have the mounts for it.

Here's what a 280Z looks like with its original rear bumper. They're lovingly known as "park benches".:
tumblr_llpg35aREE1qanlclo1_500.jpg

I upgraded to a R200 when I had the car completely apart.

Was gonna change shocks to ArizonaZcar but called to order and he is out of rears for "a while (long while)":mad:

I need to find the writeup on HybridZ, but I'm thinking about doing the LSD conversion to my R200. You can get the spider gears from a 240SX which fits the assembly (some buy cheap Chinese knockoffs and then take them to a machineshop to have the nasty machining ground out of them...they work fine after) and you essentially get to keep your gear ratio while having a helical LSD.

Something like ~$500 all said and done and better than a viscous LSD with gear ratios you don't want.

That's too bad they're out. He probably wouldn't tell you what they were anyway. :biggrin: Ground Control makes a true coilover, but I've heard both good and bad from them.

Back