My 6-speed Experience

This is net 3.0 + inst. 1.5 + revision 1.0 = 5.5k without the shift electr. thingy if you compare apple to apple. That's 1.5k more for having an slight advantage above 100 mph and you still need the expensive and heavy 97+ clutch if you don't go with the dual splin final drive. I'm not aware where in the US you're allowed that fast? :) I've the German Autobahn in reaching distance but only use it once a year. I still can't justify a 6-speed.

My quick $0.02.

6-speed: Best of both worlds. Expensive to implement on a 3.0L. Weaker than a 5spd for high tq builds. You can shift to keep in the proper rpm range all the time. Bad news.. you have to shift a lot to keep in the proper rpm pwr range all the time. Higher 6th gear for better hwy mpg.

5-speed (USDM), Stock 4:06 FD: Strongest. People seem to prefer the longer gears for FI. Less shifting involved. Lethargic for normal N/A 3.0L. If you don't like to shift and have a higher tq motor (e.g. CTSC) people don't mind it.

5-speed (JDM), Stock 4:06 FD: Shorter 2-3-4 gears. I like this setup the best for FI.

5-speed (JDM), Type R 4.23 FD: If I couldn't afford a 6spd build i'd be just as happy with this if I was N/A.

6-speed, OSG 4.44 FD: My friend seems to be very happy with this on his 04 but I think it might be too low for me. I have yet to try it.

In my brief experience, each track can benefit from a specific gearset. No one gearset is the most optimal for all tracks, though one gearset might be most optimal for your type of driving for most conditions. Personally I suck at shifting so I prefer the 5speed from this aspect. I'm currently FI so it makes up for the long gears. If I was N/A it'd be a different story.

I just upgraded to a 6-speed a few weeks ago, from a short-gear 5-speed transmission; like most upgrades, the advantage will depend on how you drive your car.

In my case, I commute frequently from Los Angeles, to Las Vegas, and San Diego - most of my driving is on the freeway. My car came with short gears, which were great around town, and on canyon drives, but not ideal for freeway cruising, where my rpm would be around 3600. As a result of this RPM amount, fuel economy suffered, around 20-22mpg. The car felt a bit like it had asthma when attempting to 'super cruise', due to the gearing.

I installed an E61 6-speed, which has double cone syncros on all six gears; it's the stronger of the two versions of 6-speed available. Since I usually end up upgrading my cars to an obscene degree, this was important for me. For the clutch, I used an OEM Acura Single Disc Clutch.

Initial impressions are that 1-5 are pretty similar to the short gear transmission, a little slower on launch, which I attribute to the heavier clutch assembly, but once the car's moving there's very little difference. 6th gear ends up at a hair under 3000rpm at 80mph, and fuel economy has ranged from 23-27mpg, depending on driving style - a very appreciable bump.

I will say 6th gear is incredibly flat on a 3.0L engine - on my way back from Vegas I attempted to out-accelerate a Camry while leaving it in 6th, and we were pretty neck and neck; I dropped it down to 5th and got back into the power band. When I'm picking my way through traffic I use 1-5, and when I want to cruise I drop it into 6th as an overdrive.

I just upgraded to a 6-speed a few weeks ago, from a short-gear 5-speed transmission; like most upgrades, the advantage will depend on how you drive your car.

In my case, I commute frequently from Los Angeles, to Las Vegas, and San Diego - most of my driving is on the freeway. My car came with short gears, which were great around town, and on canyon drives, but not ideal for freeway cruising, where my rpm would be around 3600. As a result of this RPM amount, fuel economy suffered, around 20-22mpg. The car felt a bit like it had asthma when attempting to 'super cruise', due to the gearing.
Good point John. I had forgotten about the fwy aspect. I seem to recall the 5th gear on the 5spd and 6th gear on the 6spd were pretty close (Haven't looked it up). Do you think you had a shorter Final Drive?

Also, pm me if you're interested in selling the short gears.

Got a link? I was looking at the NSX-R kit on SoS for about $1500

Sorry, no link.

I should also note that when I went to my current 2000, the combination of the 3.2 w/6gears was faster than my 3.0 w/5 short according to my butt dyno. 3.0 had headers, exhaust. 3.2 is all stock.

I should note that I also had a LW flywheel on the 3.0 for a while. I will tell you that combined with the short gears 6k-8k goes by very very quickly.

With our 'stock' '92 on our local road course the tall 2nd works perfectly, as we can run the whole track in 2nd and 3rd.
Minimal shifting, and in the vtec range nearly all the way around.
Our turbocharged '92 has the JDM 2-3-4 gearset and for street driving I like it better, but on the road course due to the increased torque available the taller 2nd might be an advantage.
Either way, the 5-speed transmission is stronger an lighter....that's a big 1-2 punch to me.

Brian

I'm still on the fence on what I want to do with my transmission. I want to put a 6 speed in since I don't think I'll ever FI my NSX. The only real difference is cost. I was quoted 5K-7K to install short gears with SOS clutch and 12K+ for a new 6 speed (Type-R setup) with SOS clutch. Does that sound about right to you guys?

Here is what I did:

Bought a 4.23/JDM gear equipped transmission for $2500
Bought a Clutchmasters FX200 clutch w/ aluminum flywheel for $1500
Bought a STMPO transmission mount for $300
Paid $500 for the install

Sold my OEM transmission for $1500

So, all in all, I got short gears for roughly $2800 out of pocket.

My experience is the 6-Speed trans is a worthwhile upgrade, but not a must. My first NSX had the NSXR gears (Short gears and 4.23 R&P) IMHO, that is a very desirable upgrade from the standard 5-Speed gears. I loved that transmission. My current NSX has the standard 5-Speed gears, but it has the SOS clutch with lightened flywheel. It feels really good, until I drive my old NSX with the NSXR gears (My brother owns this car now). This past weekend I test drove an NA2 to see if I really want to sell my car and upgrade. I love the 6-Speed transmission. That is the transmission that should be in any street driven NSX. The only thing I really don't like about the NA2, or should I say NSX with electric power steering is the power steering. As Kelvin mentioned earlier in this topic, it makes the car feel more luxury, and less of a sports car IMHO. I can live with it, but the manual steering rack is what I would like in the NA2.

Like Kelvin I can just jump into one of my other NSX's and feel the difference first hand. I think the upgrade to 6-speed is expensive
but I think its a must if you daily drive your older NSX.

I loved the 5-speed but like other do the " modern " conversion to make the outside look mor modern I think getting the more modern transmisson is a must.

you know you see those cars with 444 inch rims that cost 8K
and the car barley even runs. I would rather get my car running perfect then buy the rims if I was into that.

as for the manual rach VS the power FYI its only has power steering till you reach 15mph or so after that
then your driving it as a manual steering.

but it def nice to have when your at a dead stop or parking and need to turn the wheel

if you see a 6-speed transmission for sale buy it I say!!

I've never understood why modern cars, even small ones are equipped with a 6-speed. Maybe it's fuel-saving, maybe it's what the market 'demands' but it doesn't make sense to me. It's good for the dealer because more people will ruin their synchros by jumping gears. :D
A closer geared box is favorable if you only have all of your torque in a very limited rpm-range like in the S2000. As we have quite a lot of Ex-S2000 drivers here who can compare it to the NSX which has a very wide range (4k-8k) rpm range of power.

For 12K+ for a new 6-speed I'd rather CTSC the engine.

I think steel is steel if thats what the gears are made of???

as I dont know.

but the guys with SC on their 3.2L 6-speeds I have not heard of any 6-speed SC's owners complaining about the weakness of the transmission

I think the shortgears are a cheaper option than doing the tran swap

Maybe its just a function of the 6 gear setup being thinner as I think the housing is the same and they had to make room for the extra gear. Could be that one must make north of 600hp for the to even be a concern.

Does anyone have data on how much stronger the 5-speed is or how week the 6-speed is? What kind of power are we talking about before this is actually an issue?

Nick @ Applied Morotsports is THE gearbox guru. you should ask him. He builds 5spd-gearbox for FXMD TT car. the OD of the 3rd gear on the counter is smaller and its the weak point. all the tork from the FXMD motor just eats it up. When you start talk about cost benefit/hp gain on the NSX, IMO, the only mod that make sense is the RDX mod otherwise, everything else is quite expensive cuz the low volume of our cars.

Last edited:
I'm not looking at anywhere near the power of that car. Hope to do SC some day. 380-400hp tops. I'll drop them a line to get his take. Could be interesting if nothing else.

I'm not looking at anywhere near the power of that car. Hope to do SC some day. 380-400hp tops. I'll drop them a line to get his take. Could be interesting if nothing else.
It should be no problem to both of them.

I've had my 93 a long time and a 6 speed conversion was part of my original mods plan......until I drove a couple of them. I fully expected to love the new ratios but, just didnt find it a big deal.

Could be that one must make north of 600hp for the to even be a concern.
I concur with this, we're at 600whp and the transmission ('92 5-speed with JDM 2-3-4) seems to be holding up well.
As a precaution, Cody recommended we run Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil in it....which we do.

Brian

I did a 6 speed trans back in 2007, I do like the 6 speed, but there are better bang for the buck. I spend over $9000 my NSX-R trans upgrade. A turbo, supercharger or suspension and brakes would be better upgrades IMO.

I considered the used 6-speed conversion when my Snap ring let go. But ended up going with the JDM short gears for my 5-speed due to the cost. I could have got a used 6-speed for just over what I could build a new JDM 5-speed for, because I was replacing the clutch at the same time. I chose to go All new instead of taking a chance on a used 6-speed. Im very happy with my decision and the JDM gear set are pretty much the same up to the 6th gear. On the Highway I can see the benefit but the cost wasn't worth the 6-speed conversion for me.

All i know is my 6 speed feels fast as sh1t pulling in 2nd... but then again, I never floored the 5 speed when i drove one as it wasnt mine. I know in a sprint its no contest stock vs stock.. .the 5 cant compete. =D

But I do want to go FI within the next couple of years and it sounds like thats where the real pro is with the 5

Last edited:
Thanks Shawn for posting your impressions. I agree the 6-speed is the best, ultimate option for a NA NSX, especially with the dual disc clutch. I have the JDM gears and the stock 4.06 diff in my car. With headers, I cannot tell the difference between my car and a 3.2 6-speed up to 4th gear. Even the short gear 4th, however, is not as short as the 6-speed, so when you shift to 4th, it does feel slightly taller and more sluggish than the 6-speed. Thus, I would say my JDM/4.06 setup is about 90% of the improvement of a 6-speed.

Thanks Shawn for posting your impressions. I agree the 6-speed is the best, ultimate option for a NA NSX, especially with the dual disc clutch. I have the JDM gears and the stock 4.06 diff in my car. With headers, I cannot tell the difference between my car and a 3.2 6-speed up to 4th gear. Even the short gear 4th, however, is not as short as the 6-speed, so when you shift to 4th, it does feel slightly taller and more sluggish than the 6-speed. Thus, I would say my JDM/4.06 setup is about 90% of the improvement of a 6-speed.

I was just thinking the other day that a jdm 5/type r 4.23 might be enough to convince me to go back to NA. It's a sweet setup for NA. I might even prefer it over a 6spd/4.06

I was just thinking the other day that a jdm 5/type r 4.23 might be enough to convince me to go back to NA. It's a sweet setup for NA. I might even prefer it over a 6spd/4.06

4.23 is just too buzzy for me in a 5-spd. My setup also happens to be perfect for my local track- I never feel like I'm in the wrong gear. Whether it is a 2 3 or 4 turn, I always am able to enter and exit the corner in that gear. I feel like with the 4.23 I would have to shift in the middle of some turns because I would run out of revs.

Back