Mr. Honda strikes again

This completes my Honda conversion. Not a shred of Acura anywhere on my car. :D

hondabose.jpg

The reason for the change is that I dislike the Acura name and logo. I prefer to sport the logo/name of the car company that actually built the car.

I was going to leave the Acura name on it but it all started with me acquiring the darker tinted JDM taillights that have the amber turn signals which I really like. The matching center piece has the Honda logo on it so the car looked odd with Honda and Acura logos. I continued with genuine Honda JDM parts adding the front emblem, wheelcaps, H logo airbag and finally the cassette deck door (which took me a while to locate). Finding these parts and acquiring them took me some time but I'm glad it's finished and the car is the way I really want it to be.

Vytas said:
I prefer to sport the logo/name of the car company that actually built the car.
If you bought a Jaguar or an Aston Martin, would you change its badges to Ford logos? What about a Bentley - change them to VW logos? :D

<B>Vytas</B> : I'm with you all the way bro! That's why I live in Australia... our NSX's are made by [H]onda! :cool:

LOL... though last week i saw a Legend rebadged to an Acura! LOL... pretty funny...

Its funny that when I was in japan everyone wanted to swap out the Honda for Acura.

I guess its human nature. People always like what they can't have.

Vytas,

I agree 110% with you.......

The only reason why there is an Acura nameplate is because it was feared that Americans would not spend 60-90k for a Honda sportscar. It is too bad because everyone else in the world doesn't have a problem with it.

I myself enjoy being different than other NSX owners and I like the JDM pieces I have on my car. When I go to a group function and there are 10 or 20 cars there, having these parts really makes my car stand out.
Because they are oem spec everything fits well and they work well with the car. I don't think the change takes anything away from the vehicle like some mods do.

Just my thoughts,
Gene Greer

I did the Honda conversion as well. It is just personal taste. The funny thing to those who don't know what an NSX is and they see the Honda badges they say "I never knew Honda build a car like that." or something similar. If you say I have an Acura NSX, they sometimes say things like "Acura can't compete with Lexus and BMW.":rolleyes:

RyRy210 said:
Its funny that when I was in japan everyone wanted to swap out the Honda for Acura.

I guess its human nature. People always like what they can't have.

Same here, both my Legend and NSX are badge-swapped to ACURA... Only the badge offcourse, I would never change the Europeen Honda trannie into the slower acura one ... :D
The only reason is because people then really don't know what car it is, especially with the nsx. I sometimes see people walking round the car to find an emblem to see what make it is... Now this stays my secret :D :D
Not that I'm ashamed it's a HONDA, certainly not, I drove all honda, from Triumph Aclaim up to NSX... I'm just too selfish, I don't want them to know what car it is so I stau the only one in the area!!

Last edited:
gene '96 #178 said:
Vytas,

I agree 110% with you.......

The only reason why there is an Acura nameplate is because it was feared that Americans would not spend 60-90k for a Honda sportscar. It is too bad because everyone else in the world doesn't have a problem with it.

Just my thoughts,
Gene Greer

Here I can't buy the other acura models. MDX, RL, TL, RSX... they are just not imported here. I wouldn't mind changing my 92 Legend coupe into a new one, just the new Legend is only available in 4-door here. I don't even know what model the new legend is over there? Probably the TL...

nsxtasy said:
If you bought a Jaguar or an Aston Martin, would you change its badges to Ford logos? What about a Bentley - change them to VW logos? :D

Too funny.

Can you imagine 30 years from now when the NSX will be a collectible, someone painstakingly tracking down Acura logos to return vyta's car back to OEM?

nsxtasy said:

We enter into this from time to time and I disagree everytime:

- Bentley and Aston existed long before being bought by VW or Ford, they still have their marketing, development, dealerships, ...

- Bentley and Aston do not sell a car that is sold in two market with wither their brand or VW/Ford.

- They exists in the whole world, Acura only exists in the US and Hong Kong

gene '96 #178 said:
The only reason why there is an Acura nameplate is because it was feared that Americans would not spend 60-90k for a Honda sportscar.
Not true. The reason why there is an Acura nameplate is because it was feared that Americans would not spend 20K for a Honda luxury car. Remember, Acura was introduced in 1986 with the Integra and Legend, and was conceived before the NSX was even on the drawing boards.

Originally posted by RyRy210
Honda should defnitely work on their Acura nameplate.
This is why they switched from model names like Legend and Integra to alphanumeric designators like TL and CL; they saw the success that Lexus had in establishing the marque name by doing so.

I'm not saying that Acura shouldn't do more; they should. But different companies do better in different areas. I happen to think that Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus both do exceedingly well in product quality; that Toyota/Lexus does better than Honda/Acura in marketing; and that Honda/Acura does better than Toyota/Lexus in product pricing/value.

As for the reason the Acura nameplate is not used in other markets, it's because Honda just isn't big enough outside North America and Japan to support a separate marketing channel, dealership network, etc. As Bart notes, many models sold here as Acuras aren't even available in many other places.

nsxtasy said:
As for the reason the Acura nameplate is not used in other markets, it's because Honda just isn't big enough outside North America and Japan to support a separate marketing channel, dealership network, etc. As Bart notes, many models sold here as Acuras aren't even available in many other places.

In the same way there are Honda models that are available outside the US and not inside. It is also not only a matter of market size that cause the distribution or not of a certain model (otherwise the US should offer the whole "world" line-up).

gheba_nsx said:
In the same way there are Honda models that are available outside the US and not inside. It is also not only a matter of market size that cause the distribution or not of a certain model (otherwise the US should offer the whole "world" line-up).

Other than motorisation differences, I wouldn't know which model we have that you don't...

gheba_nsx said:
Several past Euro Accord generations were not available in the US, the same for the Honda Logo, the Honda Jazz, the Civc TypeR (is it in the US? I am not 100% sure of this)...

I forgot about the Logo and the Jazz... But I guess no-one will take that against me forgetting "those" 2 models ;)

Strange how Honda changed the Legend into the RL. Why? Because even today young kids would respect the Legend name 8-9 years after its dicontinuation. I would say the Legend was much more successful than Acura was. The same goes for the NSX. Whether its a Honda or Acura? Who cares, it's an NSX!

Vytas said:
The reason for the change is that I dislike the Acura name and logo. I prefer to sport the logo/name of the car company that actually built the car.

I was going to leave the Acura name on it but it all started with me acquiring the darker tinted JDM taillights that have the amber turn signals which I really like. The matching center piece has the Honda logo on it so the car looked odd with Honda and Acura logos. I continued with genuine Honda JDM parts adding the front emblem, wheelcaps, H logo airbag and finally the cassette deck door (which took me a while to locate). Finding these parts and acquiring them took me some time but I'm glad it's finished and the car is the way I really want it to be.

Are you going to convert to RHD to make it 100% JDM???:D

Now that would leave "not a shred" of Acura on the car.....or do they make a LHD Honda NSX???

Last edited:
Another main reason Acura went to the letter and numeric model designation is because most consumers were identifying with the names "Legend" and "Integra", and not "Acura". It was a conscious decision to refocus attention on the brand, not just the model.

I would rather have "Acura" on my car rather than "Honda" any day of the week.

I've thought about rebadging my "Acura" to "Akira".

Okay...maybe not. :p

Legend and Integra were awesome model names...I miss them. Would I miss RL, TL, CL? Probably not.

I can't wait until they decide to get an ACURA here on the market. I named my company ACURA... I don't know if you know this, but here in Belgium there was a company called LOGO, and HONDA EUROPE had to pay that Belgian company to use the name LOGO in Belgium.
Ok, I here you all comming : "If you like Honda that much why do something like that??" ; I like Honda, but have some problems with the Honda Europe management here... Their choice accessories they will import is most of the times not what the people want... try selling cars if you have to say everytime : "no sorry, that car with that color, that engine and sunroof isn't available with A/C for example, but if you take a black one with another engine and a spoiler you can get A/C....

Back