MP3 How to record into wav file

Alright, I've saved the mp3 audio file of the gruppe M exhaust sound posted in the other forum to my hard drive. I would like to record a short part of that file of the exhaust revving as a .wav file and direct outlook express to play that sound as my "you've got mail" sound. My machine is on a cable modem and my computer makes a sound whenever mail comes in.

Who knows how to do this? I have Music Match Juke Box, Real Player, Windows Audio Player, etc. I cannot see how to direct these players to record something off of my hard drive instead of my CD player.

I can see in the recorder settings window where to tell the recorder to begin and end so I understand the timing and length options.

Any help on this very important issue.
biggrin.gif

I've used CDex to convert the files from mp3 to wave, and vice versa. You can get it at zdtv.net, it's free. There were others that I've also tried but I can't remember them right now.

Hope that helps.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Craig,

Here's how to get WinAmp to kick out a .wav file of an .mp3 file:

1) Get to the options (usually by right clicking on almost anywhere on your WinAmp interface. Select ->Options -> Preferences
2) In the "WinAmp Preferences" dialogue box, select -> Setup -> Plug-Ins -> Output
3) In the "Output plug-ins" box on the right, select "Nullsofft Disk Writer plug-in v1.0 (or whatever version). You want the out_disk.dll.
4) You will be asked to select a directory for your .WAV output.
5) Close the dialogue box after selecting your directory.
6) Select the .mp3 file you wish to convert. After hitting the play button, you shouldn't hear anything, but you should see the LED bars moving and the file should be playing faster than real-time speed, depending on the speed of your processor. What's happening is rather than sending audio output to your speakers, it's now sending it to a file on your hard drive.
7) When the file is done, check for it in the directory you specified. You should see it with the original name, but with a .WAV extension instead of a .mp3 extension.
8) Done

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey

Craig,

Also, don't forget to go back to your options window and reselect "Nullsoft waveOut plug-in vX.X (out_wave.dll)" when you're finished, or else WinAmp will kick out .wav files rather than play them through your speakers. You might not want that anymore once you're don.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey

Craig,

For simple editing, like fading in/out, the only trial/free version of anything I've tried is called "CoolEdit". Unfortunately, the trial version is pretty limited. It only works for 30 days. It only works with .WAV files, not .mp3 files. You can only do one or two filters at a time. (I only use the fade in/out function.) I've used a previous full version in the past, and I'd recommend it if the cost isn't too much for you. Otherwise, if you just need it for that specific file, the trial version might be enough.

Yup, I'll see 'ya Sunday. Hopefully the sun can break through on Saturday when I come up.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1997 Integra GS-R 4-dr
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey

Back