• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Modernize your NSX: Trunk Undercover

I had the same trouble. It worked for a couple months and just fell down. Also, my trunk struts cant hold it up.

What? You didn't buy the optional R-type carbon fiber wing so your trunk stays up!
Trev

I think I was the first person to purchase this item and it was back in the winter time. I didn't get around to installing it until this summer. I put it on and LOVED it. Thought it looked great! Showed my wife, she thought it looked great too.... how embarrassed I was when we went to dinner THAT night, I popped the hatch to place her purse in the trunk for the evening, and the mat was lying in the bottom of the trunk with pieces of Velcro hanging off the lid.

I'm really really bummed about it. I'm not unhappy with the piece at all. I think it's well made and looks great. But the way it's mounted has got to change.
If it's truly as easy as changing to heavy duty 2 inch Velcro from Lowe's then great! But if not...... I'd really like to hear what the maker of the piece has to say about it.

I'm not happy the rest of you are having trouble with yours, but I was a bit relieved to see that I'm not the only one having the same problem.

TRXTR... Where are ya buddy?

Yes, mine is on the shelf in the garage.
I haven't had the gumshin to figure out to put it back on.
It is a nice piece for sure.
They has got to be a way for it to stay nicely, just haven't put the brain power into it and now, we have snow!!!
Trev

Mine is in the basement. I completely forgot about it. Now I am waiting for someone here to figure out the mount.
Shame for the work that went into making these, that there isn't a mount that is satisfactory.

"waiting to go to school on others"

I've tried everything including the velcro tape from Lowes and it only lasted about a week . I even tried double stick tape from 3m and that didn't work either. The maker was supposed to send me some new super velcro tape but never did. I waited over a month and then received the same old 1 inch tape. He also made it clear from this point on I was on my own. I'm considering using screws to hold it up but I'm not sure if I wanna drill into my trunk or not. I'm gonna have to do something drastic because this arizona heat will not let you use velcro.

Haven't tried this, it should work very well - Use some rare-earth magnets

Suppose you get yourself:

4 or 5 small rubber well nuts (these go in the factory holes in your trunk lid)
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w71.htm

4 or 5 flat head machine screws with matching thread of your well nuts

4 or 5 of these or similar roundbase magnets
(95lb pull variety should be more than plenty magnetic goodness)
http://www.magneticdepot.com/roundbase.htm

drill out hole as needed for flat head machine screw in one half of the roundbase

the rubber well nuts go into the 4 or 5 factory holes in the trunk lid
screw one half of the roundbase with the magnet in it into the well nut, the rubber will expand nicely and the magnet and roundbase will not pull out of the factory holes in your trunk (assuming you have appropriate diameter well nuts)

make a stencil to attach your other half roundbases to the back of the undercover

Use screws, epoxy, etc to attach other half of roundbase to the back of your undercover, make sure these puppies are attached VERY well in case you want to remove your undercover someday and not have this half of the roundbase tear away and stay with the magnet side in the trunk

Mount the undercover and enjoy, the magnets should do the rest for you for a very long time, regardless of heat, moisture, bumps, etc

...and if you want, velcro the crap out of it too... : )

drill out hole as needed for flat head machine screw in one half of the roundbase

screw one half of the roundbase with the magnet in it into the well nut, the rubber will expand nicely and the magnet and roundbase will not pull out of the factory holes in your trunk (assuming you have appropriate diameter well nuts)

make a stencil to attach your other half roundbases to the back of the undercover

Use screws, epoxy, etc to attach other half of roundbase to the back of your undercover, make sure these puppies are attached VERY well in case you want to remove your undercover someday and not have this half of the roundbase tear away and stay with the magnet side in the trunk

Mount the undercover and enjoy, the magnets should do the rest for you for a very long time, regardless of heat, moisture, bumps, etc

Redwings,

Thank you SO MUCH for this informative post! I will look into this to see if it can be incorporated into version 2 of the undercover.

For those of you with existing covers that had velcro issues in the heat, a fellow primer had amazing results with 3M body panel tape (grey in color from Autozone or Canadian Tire). He pulled adhesive off the velcro (by hand and towel) and afixed the 3m panel tape to the back side of the velcro. He installed the velcro back onto the under side of the truck and let is sit up for a few days in the sun with no undercover attached. Just velcro to the trunk ribs. He then installed the Undercover and it has held in place through the summer and fall so far.

BASH

I had some luck with this tape I found at Lowes. The tape is called Scotch Indoor/Outdoor Mounting Tape "Super Heavy Duty". Scotch says it can hold up to 5 pounds using one roll. I picked up two rolls because there isnt enough footage in 1 roll. First I removes the velcro from the trunk and used goo gone to get rid of the gunk left behind. Then used soap and water to wash and dried those areas. I also made marks at the top and bottom of the velcro on the back of the undercover before removing them. In each section of velcro that was on the back of the undercover I put two 14 inch pieces of this tape down. Then I stuck it on pushing as hard as I almost could. I left the trunk lid up for 20 minutes before closing it. Its staying up for now. Its really cold here in PA sooooo I will post an update when it gets really hot. I really hope this works and can help people in the future.

Last edited:
Back