Mc36

Long time listener (reader), first time poster. Just joined the family with my first NSX-T last week! 1997 Black/Black. Tons of fun!!

I have a few questions: Bought it from a dealer who did not have the service records. Want to do a 60K service check up because of the unknown with timing belt, water pump and seals. Trying to find a mechanic in Charlotte to work on it. Acura dealer quoted about $2K and Honda/Acura independent said $1823. How do I choose?

Also what should be entailed in a major service like that?

Last edited:
Did you have the dealer run the vin? Any service that has went through any dealerships should show up. Try that 1st. Who knows, maybe it has been done.

IMO, if the price between the two is that small, I would have it done at dealer. That way it is on record with VIN and if you ever sell car, the records can be traced.
Independent shops are fine for working on the car if they are properly trained to but their is a chance they could use a/m parts, not do the work at all, not do all of it, etc.
How many miles are on car? If you don't have proof the work has been done then assume that it hasn't and get it done.
I believe the 97+ 3.2L t/b w/p had a service interval of 90k miles or X yrs.

Independent vs. Dealer

Thank you for the replys. I bought the car from out of state and it has 70K on it. I have only had it about three weeks and have been nervous about driving it too much because of the unknown.

I was thinking the same thing about the dealership. That small of a price difference I am leaning towards the dealership. I saw where the car was registered by the prior owner (bought it from a small dealer who aquired the car at aution). I wonder if the local Acura dealership would run the VIN for me to see if it was serviced there? Maybe worth a shot?

For the small difference, go to the dealership assuming they have an NSX certified tech that has done this before. What you should be asking is how many NSXs each of your options works on currently, and what amount of experience they have with these jobs. Some dealerships never see an NSX, and you will want to know how many this dealer services.

Did you have the dealer run the vin? Any service that has went through any dealerships should show up. Try that 1st. Who knows, maybe it has been done.

Would have to disagree on this. There is no nationally kept database for service records, they have records of only what they have done :).

In regard to "Where to take it" my question is who has the most experience? Who is the independent shop and who is the dealer and how many NSX's do they service regularly?

Regards,
LarryB

Independent vs. Dealer

Thanks for the advice about running the VIN:rolleyes: . I looked on the car fax report and called the local Acura dealerships where the car was registered. The car was in VA the first 10 years and the service dealer said that they only keep service records for the past two years. He ran the VIN anyway with no luck.

The car has spend the last few years in PA so I called the Acura dealer there and the service manager too ran the VIN and he did have a record of the car. It has been in for about 3 oil changes only in the past few years, the last being in March of this year. He did not have any record of any major service done there, oh well worth a try. I guess I wil be doing the timing belt, water pump and fluid changes regardless.

As for the independent vs dealership, the inpendent shop had to call me back with a price because they don't see a whole lot of NSXs (translation= none!), but the dealer had a set up and when I went by there was a '95 pulling into the service bay and the service manager greated the customer like he knew her. I guess I have my answer. Thanks for the advice.:rolleyes:

Back