May Go to the Darkside

You may laugh but I just bought a 06 MR Evo again and love it. It's just so damn fun to drive and I did look at The F cars and such, just too much money to worry about something. Hell the evo has 700 Miles and is going to Road Atlanta in 2 weeks :) Save the money and get a nice boat like a 42 foot Fountain ;)

What is Ferrari's facoty warranty period? I assume the one you are looking at is out of warranty. You know how things are when the warranty period is over,right?
Just go keep test driving a F car occasionally and get it out of your system. Or rent one in Vegas foe a $1000 a day.
If you are seriously worrying the maintenace and repair costs, then I don't suggest it.
I know all those "go get one " and "only live once" comments sound tempting. I have to think twice, or more if it was my money.

I say buy the 360 and sell me the NSX (I really like MC Blue!)
You only get one shot to enjoy life in this world, so do not worry if it's a mistake. You can always switch back later and at least the question in your mind will be answered. Who knows-you may even kick yourself for not going F-car earlier!

Life is short... do what makes you happy.

I personally couldn't justify having that much money tied up in any car. Period. But if I were Donald Trump, Super Lotto wealthy and had already funded my kids education... I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Let us know what you decide.

Now those are fair and reasonable prices. It almost makes me want to get a Ferrari.

ZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP

OUCH! God just nailed me with a small lightning bolt. :)

Shumdit said:
You only get one shot to enjoy life in this world, so do not worry if it's a mistake...at least the question in your mind will be answered.

Well said, not knowing would bother me more than making a mistake.

why do you have to trade in BOTH of the cars?

I would say one of the 2 for the chance of owning a F car. But both of them is CRAZY!!!!

then again- if you said F430 - I would probably jump at it.:biggrin: :biggrin:

SCS2K,
I questioned if I should chime in given my sig line - probably giving up some potential negotiating leverage with you on the 97X. You have two great cars and this would truely be a difficult choice. I'm thinking about waiting on another NSX and stepping up to an F-car. I didn't realize the 360's can be had for $100K or less now until fairly recently. Even Ken said do it. That surprised me. I think most of us, given the financial ability, would like to have a 360 or 430. The NSX is a great car but I certiantly would like to own an F-car before I take my dirt nap. I would say go for it!!!

My $0.02 is in no way influencing this next comment - if you do decide to do this, PLEASE contact me about the 97 Monte Carlo blue. This is exactly the car I am looking for with the SC. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

Good luck with your decision. Nice problem to have.

as much as I love the 360, especially silver on black:cool: I would sell the P-car and get a sick boat and truck to pull it and still have an NSX:biggrin:

unless of course you already have the boat and truck.....:redface:

nice dilemma either way....

I say keep both not unless your gettin the f 430!!! The 360 is nice but what you've right now is just as good or even better in my opinion,

Last edited:
Hugh said:
You can pick one up for about $100K and the prices are still dropping.
Still too much $ tied up in one car for me.

I'd much rather have that money in the bank and retire 10-years earlier than have an F car rather than my "lowly" Honda. But that's just one man's perspective.

Da Hapa said:
Still too much $ tied up in one car for me.

I'd much rather have that money in the bank and retire 10-years earlier than have an F car rather than my "lowly" Honda. But that's just one man's perspective.

I completely agree. Instead of the bank I have some tied up in homebuilder stock shorts and puts.

WCI
KBH
DHI

1TITENSX said:
I'm thinking about getting one to :biggrin:

FWIW, here is a link with actual Ferrari prices

Eugenio's Ferrari Service

What do y'all think about the 360 prices listed on Eugenio's website?

Hmmm, interesting. Doing some quick rudimentary math I've calculated that the 360 costs no less than $.38 per mile to drive for routine service, including routine oil changes at, say, 2000 miles.

Factoring in wearable parts like brakes and tires, plus the stuff that breaks I can't see how you'd escape at less than about $.60 per mile for the cost of ownership. So for every 5,000 miles put on the car expect to also pay $3,000 to maintain the car. A more realistic viewpoint would be after 30,000 miles you would have paid about $18,000 in service :eek: .

NSXGMS said:
Hmmm, interesting. Doing some quick rudimentary math I've calculated that the 360 costs no less than $.38 per mile to drive for routine service, including routine oil changes at, say, 2000 miles.

Factoring in wearable parts like brakes and tires, plus the stuff that breaks I can't see how you'd escape at less than about $.60 per mile for the cost of ownership. So for every 5,000 miles put on the car expect to also pay $3,000 to maintain the car. A more realistic viewpoint would be after 30,000 miles you would have paid about $18,000 in service :eek: .

Dam!!! :eek: :eek:

NSXGMS said:

Just curious, does that math include all the intangible costs too? Opportunity cost on such an expensive car, higher insurance, time spent dealing with maintenance issues, etc. Maybe that's the $1.00/mile I've heard before.

Keep in mind the RISK associated with out of warranty. You know what breaks on NSXs and their costs, 911 too probably, but how about on the Ferrari? Much higher risk of, after a year, shelling out ridiculous money for a new tranny or something.

They are slick though.

may the Schwartz (ie. Banker) be w/ you...

1TITENSX said:
I'm thinking about getting one to(o) :biggrin:

FWIW, here is a link with actual Ferrari prices

Eugenio's Ferrari Service

What do y'all think about the 360 prices listed on Eugenio's website?
Wow, not too frightening... rather palatable and even digestable! :tongue:

I always felt if one acquires a new or special automobile, they need to build a relationship & patronage w/ a service/maint' shoppe & proprietor. I have aspirations of acquiring a 360 Modena coupe or Challenge Stradale and one of the late-model Aston Martin models (not at the same time... :redface: ), but of-course still own the NSX (heck, it's worth as much as a brand-new auto. Civic EX sedan) which is priceless in my heart, regardless.

I always keep an open eye & ear for an independant Italian / English specialty motorcar workshops, heck even German (achtung!) as their skill-level often exceeds the former on cars they don't even service.

My uncle in Ormond Beach FL has a tech. shoppe he's been going to for about 20yrs (for all his cars, anything from Towncars to SL's); it's an older Greek guy who services all imports but specializes in the notable European marques (Benz, Jaguar, Ferrari, Porsche). The establishment isn't swank or posh by any means. There's a junkyard dog on a chain, polar-water cooler in the corner, local Kiwanis club mints on the table, and an odd asst. of magazines in the circa' 60's lounge. The workers take tea-breaks 5-6 times a day, lol. But the quality of work, honesty/integrity, and cost of services rendered are incomparable! Perhaps knowing that such places exist is what keeps my interest alive in acquiring some esoteric & otherwise 'burden-ridden' autos... (ie. 348tb, 360 Modena, Aston Martins, Bentley Arnage Red Label T, Jaguar XJ-R, VW Phaeton, Maserati Cambiocorsa, Mercedes Benz W140 S-class S600, many others...)

NSXLuvr said:
why do you have to trade in BOTH of the cars?
I would say one of the 2 for the chance of owning a F car. But both of them is CRAZY!!!!
then again- if you said F430 - I would probably jump at it. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I am total accord w/ this above! For those two fine exotic sportscars w/ oompha-mojo' rising stuff, F430 should be the target. Supposedly, the F430 is head-n-shoulders above the 360 Modena in all performance parameters w/o compromise. The aforementioned $200k sounds like asking price for brand-new specimens of the F430 coupe. I'd *think* preowned examples via a broker can be had for $150k (cash on the table, keys next to it). I can't affirm such though, as it's something I haven't even remotely looked into.

Last edited:
Jim,

I'd personally stay away from that deal. You're giving up two great cars for one great car that arguably doesn't do anything better than the other two you have (in a combined sense). If it were a 430, then I'd say do it, but the 360 just doesn't seem worth it for your NSX and Porsche 996TT. Those two cars you have are a great, reliable combo. Plus the Modena doesn't personally "move" me all that much. The 360 Spyder is a different story since it's a frickin' gorgeous car.

A person where I work waited about a year to get his 360 Modena and had it only about 4 months before selling it. He got rid of the Ferrari and bought a GT2. On the plus side for the Ferrari is the resale value won't kill you if you're getting a reasonable deal. So as others have said you can always turn around and sell the Ferrari and go back to what you have now or something else that interests you. Some of the maintenance might not be as bad as dealership prices since there is a (from what I've heard) reputable service place in Phoenix that Bill uses for his 355 that doesn't totally bend you over.

If you could keep the NSX too, then that's a different story as you'd essentially be keeping two great cars and I think everyone would trade a Porsche 996TT for a 360. Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll be happy.

Back