Lurker

I was a lurker on S2KI.com when I got the bug to purchace an S2000. Like all things tastes change, and I have always had in the back of my mind the thought of purchasing an NSX. Like I said I am lurking on this site now and gathering alot of usefull information.

I would consider myself a fanatic when it comes to the S2000, just as I am sure their are members here with the same mindset about their NSX.

I have a 2002, S2000...summer driver ( avoid the rain ) and garage it for the winter months, which will come very shortly.

I thought what better time to get familar with the NSX..for a possile buy this spring. ( any interest in my pampered S2000 come spring...let me know, it would help offset the cost of and NSX if I should decide to really follow though on this)

Question I do have:

Just like the S2000, there were mechanical issues. I am seeing with the NSX repeated references to timing belt, water pump replacement. Also snap ring repair. Any explaination on the above mentioned issues would be appreciated. Also any insight into purchasing a used NSX..would be appreciated.

I don't think TB/WP were considered "mechanical issues", unless it breaks. People are anal about TB replacement due to the cost of head removal if indeed it does break.:frown:

Correct. The timing belt and water pump replacement are maintenance items, not mechanical issues, and apply to many, many cars. The only reason it's an unusual issue for the NSX is that many NSXs aren't driven a lot - median mileage is 5K miles/year - and a lot of people don't realize that there is a recommended time interval as well as a mileage interval (on a '91-96, 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first). As a result, you have a lot of NSXs out there with timing belts that are as much as 10 years old, and in some cases a lot older. If the timing belt fails, it could result in a VERY expensive repair (again, same as on many other cars). So the issue is really one of owner neglect, rather than a problem inherent in the car itself.

Sorry about labeling the TB, WP as a mechanical issue. It is much clearer now that this is a recommended maintenance procedure. Again, bear with me..I am new to this site and this car (NSX)...With the help of this site, I am sure I will be well educated and versed on the NSX after daily browsing. Thanks for the info.

Back