Lug nuts vs Lug Studs(?)

At some point one of the owners went from a lug nut and stud to a lug stud? (I'm not sure if that's the correct term but what is typically found in EU vehicles.)

As I'm getting closer to rebuilding the brake system essentially should I just go back to studs and lugs or keep the system on there now? Is there any negatives to this?

I'm guessing at some point the rotors or some sort of addition had to have been added to accommodate the lug bolts.

I personally haven't been in there yet as I'm waiting for everything to arrive.

At some point one of the owners went from a lug nut and stud to a lug stud? (I'm not sure if that's the correct term but what is typically found in EU vehicles.)

As I'm getting closer to rebuilding the brake system essentially should I just go back to studs and lugs or keep the system on there now? Is there any negatives to this?

I'm guessing at some point the rotors or some sort of addition had to have been added to accommodate the lug bolts.

I personally haven't been in there yet as I'm waiting for everything to arrive.
They would have had to change the hubs to a threaded hub. The OEM hub has press-fit studs. I don't love the idea of a non-OEM hub on the car unless it is something like a center-nut style for a race car. But, hubs are expensive and if it's working ok, then maybe you just leave it as is?

They would have had to change the hubs to a threaded hub. The OEM hub has press-fit studs. I don't love the idea of a non-OEM hub on the car unless it is something like a center-nut style for a race car. But, hubs are expensive and if it's working ok, then maybe you just leave it as is?
Yeah, i'm already disassembling everything which is why I wanted some feedback since id already be in there. But I agree if its been fine, ill inspect everything and go from there~

Last edited:
At the risk of getting into a semantic agreement, the NSX uses studs and lug nuts and the 'other' system is just wheel bolts (sometimes called lug bolts) with a threaded hub. I have vehicles with both, an Audi with wheel bolts and everything else with studs and nuts. If you don't have an accurate center bore on your rims the absence of the wheel studs can make positioning of the rim during seasonal tire changes a hassle unless you have one of those temporary positioning stud things. Properly installed I don't see much up / down side to either in terms of how effective it is once the wheel is mounted. The performance arguments for and against are pretty esoteric and some are border line flakey.

As Honcho states, if the current arrangement is working just fine I would be inclined to leave it as is. If something needs replacement, then you do have a decision as to whether you want to try and source parts for what is a bit of an orphan system versus switching back to OEM style. That will probably be a cost decision.

Back