love the two tone

I have a black car too. Sometimes I wish I had a silver or red for the two-tone look. If I had a newer car I would be very tempted to paint the top black, although the coupe looks better than the Targa with the black top. To me the all-red cars and especially the all-silver cars look especially plain.

Couldn't disagree more. The only type of NSX that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever is an automatic.

Fantastic style either way, imho. :)
But I also like the one small pic I've seen of the "bumble bee" NSX someone here has that's black with orange/yellow highlights. :biggrin:

Couldn't disagree more. The only type of NSX that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever is an automatic.

If you had a DD and commuted on the 101 or 405 in California or lived in San Francisco like me, you might want to reconsider your comment. This has been discused on many threads. On many occasions when driving on the hills of San Francisco I thought it would be nice to have an automatic. Have you ever driven an automatic? The first NSX I drove was a paddle shifter when I lived in the UK. It was very impressive.:tongue:

The only comment I can't aggree with is brahtw8 "people mistake a camaro for an NSX???:eek:"

Your agreement is irrelevant. :tongue:

There are multiple stories of people mistaking the NSX for a Camaro on this very forum, and the Camaro is often mentioned when the subject of a black roof comes up.

Search Camaro and you will find many examples. Here are a few to get you started.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100711&highlight=Camaro
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92880&highlight=Camaro
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100532&highlight=Camaro

The black roofed camaro's came after the NSX...so I guess you could take it as flattery. It's not our fault we got copied.

I love the black roof on my car....but if I bought a newer one, I'd leave it.

If you had a DD and commuted on the 101 or 405 in California or lived in San Francisco like me, you might want to reconsider your comment. This has been discused on many threads. On many occasions when driving on the hills of San Francisco I thought it would be nice to have an automatic. Have you ever driven an automatic? The first NSX I drove was a paddle shifter when I lived in the UK. It was very impressive.:tongue:

Relax. I was just messing with Jett. Look at the two car colors he said were "especially plain" and look at the two color cars I happen to own.

By the way, my Red NSX is a DD.

Your agreement is irrelevant. :tongue:

There are multiple stories of people mistaking the NSX for a Camaro on this very forum, and the Camaro is often mentioned when the subject of a black roof comes up.

Search Camaro and you will find many examples. Here are a few to get you started.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100711&highlight=Camaro
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92880&highlight=Camaro
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100532&highlight=Camaro

Wow. If people mistake an NSX for a Camaro doesn't it make you wonder why we bother to put side skirts on or paint our tops? Whats the point? Sometimes I think 50% of our society are complete morons. Maybe higher.

You gotta wonder though if people really are that ignorant or if they're actually throwing subtle insults. C'mon..... "nice job on that Civic" ????? That has to be someone being a smart ass.

When I used to have a sleeper Chevelle (Mid 10's) I used to go looking for Porshes and after I smoked them I'd yell out of the window, "Hey, That's a nice Volkswagon!"

"If you had a DD AND comuted on the 101 or 405 in California..."

That's not my idea of "commuting". I don't know how you guys stand that kind of of traffic. I'd love to live in SF or near any part of the coast but I just can't stand the crowds. You don't need an automatic.....you need a helicopter.

Yep. There was a red 2001 Coupe for sale at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, and it had a black top.

I kick myself every time I think about it -- I should've pulled the trigger and bought it.

Bob,
That 2001 coupe that you missed is nothing special. It is just a 252hp automatic that you can find from 1991 to 1994. There are some small differences but nothing substantial that you can't live without. So don't feel too bad about that.
Steve

Bob,
That 2001 coupe that you missed is nothing special. It is just a 252hp automatic that you can find from 1991 to 1994. There are some small differences but nothing substantial that you can't live without. So don't feel too bad about that.
Steve
Really? It's an automatic? Yikes...

's'OK, tho' -- I'm currently stalking a Zanardi. Just waiting for the guy to decide to sell, and then I'll pounce :cool:.

Really? It's an automatic? Yikes...

's'OK, tho' -- I'm currently stalking a Zanardi. Just waiting for the guy to decide to sell, and then I'll pounce :cool:.
Yeah,
There are two rare 2001 coupes which I think are really odd. You know, the odd couples in 2001. The red one has automatic transmission. Someone would go through the trouble to special order a red coupe and then wanted automatic. The other coupe is a white one with that somewhat undesirable, to me, camel interior.
Steve

There's nothing odd about a white car with the tan/camel interior. Many people prefer the tan to the black.

Yeah,
There are two rare 2001 coupes which I think are really odd. You know, the odd couples in 2001. The red one has automatic transmission. Someone would go through the trouble to special order a red coupe and then wanted automatic. The other coupe is a white one with that somewhat undesirable, to me, camel interior.
Steve

There's nothing odd about a white car with the tan/camel interior. Many people prefer the tan to the black.

Kind of shows why these "I like this" and "I like that" threads are completely pointless for anything other than pure entertainment and getting to voice your opinion.

Funny thing is.....I'd trade my Silver NSX or my Red NSX for a White NSX with a camel interior.....

Anyone paint their NA2 roof black to look like NA1?

I would have done it if I did the type R spoiler and cf hood :redface:

I like them actually. I'm going to paint the roof when I get new sideskirts.
Add me to the list that believes black roofs are cool. it's the oem rims that look dated

DSC014351.JPG

Those stock rims actually look pretty good on your car. Must be lowered. Whole car looks darn good. Nice job.

Last edited:
here is mine with the stock rims..........theyre not too bad......

AltamontSign1.jpg

For some reason I really like the 91-93 OEM stockers, though not many people share that opinion.

I have a set of OEMs from a 98, but I like the early wheels too.

I'm a purist really. I like original cars.

this is what makes the world go around and to prove even in the same family! As i have a 93gpw with the black roof and 05' rims which like posted makes the car look more up to date and the white on black with black interior i think looks nice. My BROTHER has 91 black with ivory all stock including wheels and only wanted black because of the black on black roof combination. Of course his was parked out in my court and my wifes friend was lookng for him and came out back because she "Saw his vette" outside.

Anyone paint their NA2 roof black to look like NA1?
There's no such thing as an "NA2 roof" or an "NA1 roof".

NA1 and NA2 are engine codes. The NA1 engine is the 3.0-liter engine that came on all '91-96 NSXs, plus the '97-05 NSXs with automatic transmissions. The NA2 engine is the 3.2-liter engine that came on all '97-05 NSXs with manual transmissions.

The contrasting black roof was used on all NSX fixed-roof coupes, available '91-01, with the exceptions of the '99 Zanardi Edition and a few late-'94 Brooklands Green cars. (Coupes were rare starting in 1995.) The color-matching roof was used on all NSX-T models, '95-05, and also the previously noted '99 Zanardi and '94 green exceptions.

The above is true of all North American NSXs.

As you can see, some NA1 cars have contrasting black roofs, and others have color-matching roofs; some NA2 cars have contrasting black roofs, and others have color-matching roofs. Thus there is no correlation between the engine codes and the roofs.

There's no such thing as an "NA2 roof" or an "NA1 roof".

NA1 and NA2 are engine codes. The NA1 engine is the 3.0-liter engine that came on all '91-96 NSXs, plus the '97-05 NSXs with automatic transmissions. The NA2 engine is the 3.2-liter engine that came on all '97-05 NSXs with manual transmissions.

The contrasting black roof was used on all NSX fixed-roof coupes, available '91-01, with the exceptions of the '99 Zanardi Edition and a few late-'94 Brooklands Green cars. (Coupes were rare starting in 1995.) The color-matching roof was used on all NSX-T models, '95-05, and also the previously noted '99 Zanardi and '94 green exceptions.

The above is true of all North American NSXs.

As you can see, some NA1 cars have contrasting black roofs, and others have color-matching roofs; some NA2 cars have contrasting black roofs, and others have color-matching roofs. Thus there is no correlation between the engine codes and the roofs.

Thanks for backing me up. I kind of already explained that in a previous post (#3 see below) but yours was much more thorough. Maybe next time I'll explain the NA1 and NA2 thing also. Of course nobody does the NA1 vs NA2 quite like you. (Yawn.)

I painted my black roof red also. And my rear diffuser. I prefer the red top but I also like the black roof if it's done with the right wheels and the black rear wing.

But......Interesting NSX fact: Black roof doesn't necessarily mean dated. It means your car is a coupe. Targas have color matched tops and coupes have black tops. People tend to associate black tops with older cars because you had to special order coupes in the later years and there is not as many around. Believe it or not there are later model black top 3.2 with six speeds as late as 2001 models.

Last edited:
I personally think a black roof on a white car looks mean but dated... and an all white just doesnt look right... so here was my solution... from the side it looks like a mean coupe with a black roof.. but from a different angle it doesnt look so dated. I guess its only me, since I don't see to many of this combination around.

frontysexhr7.jpg

Back