love the two tone

When I was first looking for a NSX I wasnt crazy about the black roof.Now I must say that is one of my favorite things about the early NSX.I have a black car so it doesnt matter but I now wish I would have gone with a different color to have the two tone.I shake my head when I see people painting there roofs.Just my 2 cents.

My first NSX was black and it had a black roof. My current one is red and as a newer car has a red roof. It's just my opinion but I couldn't disagree with you more. A black roof with anyother color just tells me that your car is dated. You have a 3.0, a five speed transmission, etc...

Just my personal opinion, nothing more.

My first NSX was black and it had a black roof. My current one is red and as a newer car has a red roof. It's just my opinion but I couldn't disagree with you more. A black roof with anyother color just tells me that your car is dated. You have a 3.0, a five speed transmission, etc...

I painted my black roof red also. And my rear diffuser. I prefer the red top but I also like the black roof if it's done with the right wheels and the black rear wing.

But......Interesting NSX fact: Black roof doesn't necessarily mean dated. It means your car is a coupe. Targas have color matched tops and coupes have black tops. People tend to associate black tops with older cars because you had to special order coupes in the later years and there is not as many around. Believe it or not there are later model black top 3.2 with six speeds as late as 2001 models.

But......Interesting NSX fact: Black roof doesn't necessarily mean dated. It means your car is a coupe. Targas have color matched tops and coupes have black tops. People tend to associate black tops with older cars because you had to special order coupes in the later years and there is not as many around. Believe it or not there are later model black top 3.2 with six speeds as late as 2001 models.

Yep. There was a red 2001 Coupe for sale at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, and it had a black top.

I kick myself every time I think about it -- I should've pulled the trigger and bought it.

I dunno... I'm growing fond of the black roof ( despite it being a coupe thing and not an age thing ). It's good for me because all I can afford is an early NA1 haha so I better like it.

You can really see where they were going with the F16 cockpit look.

I'm the type of person who likes the pop-ups instead of the 02+ lights because I feel they ruin the hoodline and I like the front valence far more. I just like the feature where you can open the pop-ups, flash, and then drop back down without engaging the lowbeams :tongue:

Need I say more?

z28a.jpg

But actually I think some of the black tops look really good.......especially in white.....

i hate the two tone, it makes the car look ultra dated, and the only color that it looks good on is on a na2 NSXR and even than you can compare it to a fully white NSXR like tsuchiya's and the full white will still look better.

down with black roofs!!! never liked it, and i will never ever like it.

It's all about personal taste. I love my black top and if I owned a 97+, I would paint top black. I wouldn't mind painting side view mirrors black too.

Last edited:

I'm with you on this one Dtrigg, that's why I only considered black when I purchased mine.....unless we're talking about a white R or R clone...now that's a whole different story.

I looked for a very low mile black '91 for a long time and never found one that I liked so I bought red. My plans had been for a long-while to paint it red for all the reasons noted by others -- looks dated, looks out of balance, etc.

Somehow I spent money on motor, susp, brakes and was going to do the paint last. 4 years later for some reason not totally clear to me I like the black roof and am keeping it.

Perhaps you are aware, but if not, your choice of the Camaro is quite ironic.

After he finished his term as head of the design team for the original NSX, Ken Okuyama went to GM and designed that very Camaro and the C5 Corvette.

There is a reason people mistake the Camaro and C5 for an NSX. They are a watered down version of the purity in purpose and aesthetic that is the NSX.

Need I say more?

z28a.jpg

But actually I think some of the black tops look really good.......especially in white.....

Sebring Silver with a black roof is my favorite. I am on #2.

I'll give you guys credit for those who have any kind of black car period. I've had one before and it is a PIA to keep clean and not have swirls. It drove me crazy, but from a distance black looks sharp.

I'll still like my tone combo. I'll paint the side view mirrors soon in black, so I can keep my a wannabe combo Camaro/R-type type look.

DSC00975.JPG

Last edited:
Is it me or does it seem like most guys that have black roofs on early models like them? Some of them however paint their roofs to match the body color. But, I heard very few members that have a later model that want to paint their body/roof combinations to a black roof. ie. I have a red car and I want to paint my roof black.:confused:

My background is that I had an early black with a black roof so no problem for me. Now I have a red/red. Wouldn't consider painting my roof black.

Last edited:
Is it me or does it seem like most guys that have black roofs on early models like them? Some of them however paint their roofs to match the body color. But, I heard very few members that have a later model that want to paint their body/roof combinations to a black roof. ie. I have a red car and I want to paint my roof black.:confused:

The one notable but significant exception would be those who are trying to make their NSX look more like an NSX-R.

The other issue is that the contrasting black roof looks better in coupe form than targa. I have seen a targa with a black roof on a white body and it was not pretty, nor original.

Last edited:
Guys......Guys......Guys. Here it is in a nut shell. We all have our preferences but check it out. Look at the picture of ChrisNSX all silver NSX. Completely bitchin' , right? Now look at NSXtasy's silver/black NSX. Completely bitchin'. Now look at NSX GT's red/black. Yep. Completely bitchin'.

They all look fantastic. You may like one particular style but hey.......It's like the worst sex I've ever had was wonderful.

The only comment I can't aggree with is brahtw8 "people mistake a camaro for an NSX???:eek:" Interesting info regarding Ken Okuyama though.

Last edited:
When I was first looking for a NSX I wasnt crazy about the black roof.Now I must say that is one of my favorite things about the early NSX.I have a black car so it doesnt matter but I now wish I would have gone with a different color to have the two tone.I shake my head when I see people painting there roofs.Just my 2 cents.

I have a black car too. Sometimes I wish I had a silver or red for the two-tone look. If I had a newer car I would be very tempted to paint the top black, although the coupe looks better than the Targa with the black top. To me the all-red cars and especially the all-silver cars look especially plain.

Back