Looking at this 93-Opinions please! JH4NA1159PT000430

Potentially nice NSX

As always run a Kar-facts just for formality and see if anything shows up, as well as titling/registration history. Well, your lucky day, here...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61199&highlight=JH4NA1159PT000430

Inquire about the door-window regulators; they are prone to fail in the earlier models due to a weak component, basically a plastic clip. This piece can be replaced w/ aftermarket window "fix-it thingies" sold by a few NSX vendors for $10-15; must be done prior to failure of the regulator.

Ask about the Bose stereo speaker-amps & subwoofer. The amps in each speaker may need to be rebuilt if they aren't performing well. Either can send the speaker/amp assembly to a NSXPrime member (BrianK) who rebuilds them for a very competitive price, or get new ones from the Acura dealer.

The climate control board may have a potential problem, the fan-speed will only operate on the high-setting. Addressing this problem if it's present would be the same as the Bose speaker-amps.

Rear hatch & trunk struts are also prone to failure or diminished performance due to age. These can either be rebuilt by a Canadian guy who offers his services on this site (Frank @ www.Strutwise.com) for about $65-75/pair or replaced w/ new OEM ones from an Acura dealer or parts vendor (shop around for a 15-20% discount for NSX owners that some Acura dealers extend as a courtesy).

For a NSX of this age, the 4yr/60k ($600-$800) & 6yr/90k ($1250-$1450)service/maint' should have been done.

The things listed above should have been addressed or be functioning for a very well-maintained, low-mileage NSX. Even if some aren't, it's not end of the world as they are very easy to address.

The '93 NSX's had the added passenger air-bag, center comparment got two separate openings (no more aluminum NSX emblem, either... but a cup-holder instead), A/C was converted to R134, no snap-ring issues w/ the manual transmission (this was the case for some '91-'92 models), and aligment specs were changed to improve tire-longevity.

I noticed this on the auctionadvertisement:

To the best of our dealers' knowledge, there has never been any repaired collision damage. There is no damage evident on this vehicle.

Ehh, that's real comforting... lol! Regardless, before a purchase or long-journey, consider a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) by a NSX certified tech. from an Acura dealership; that'll give some peace-of-mind as well find any 'hidden' secrets of the past in terms of accidents/collisions, potential and forthcoming repair issues, etc.

Goodluck. :cool:

Re: Potentially nice NSX

Osiris_x11 said:
Inquire about the door-window regulators; they are prone to fail in the earlier models due to a weak component...

Not a problem on '93's

Osiris_x11 said:
... center comparment got two separate openings ... no more aluminum NSX emblem, either...
It's still there .........

5957DSC01361_Medium_.JPG

Thanks for the replies. He wants way too much for the car. 34,000. KBB is showing around 25,500 private party in excellant condition with the stated mileage. Did the 93 have a passenger airbag cutoff switch?

Lingenfelter said:
Thanks for the replies. He wants way too much for the car. 34,000. KBB is showing around 25,500 private party in excellant condition with the stated mileage. Did the 93 have a passenger airbag cutoff switch?

kELLY bLUE bOOK IS NOT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF WHAT THESE cars sell at.. If the car is clean, 34000 would actually be a very GOOD price!

redshift said:
At <15,000 miles, maintenance up-to-date, and in excellent condition, $34,000 sounds like a fair/good price.

There is no passenger airbag cutoff.

Not to sound like a broken record, but it's definitely a good price for a clean NSX at < 15k miles. KBB is useless when it comes to the NSX.

real-deal...

D'Ecosse said:
Not a problem on '93's

I made that assertion against the FAQ in light of numerous window-regulator failures in post '93 NSX's, sad-to-say. Perhaps an improvement in the clip was made my Acura/Honda, but failures do occur w/ somewhat above acceptable frequency in post '91-'92 Acura NSX models.

$34K for the NSX in question... if you don't buy it, please fwd me the contact! :wink:

Take a look in the cars for sale listing here on 'Prime & see what $25K buys you. Another vote for $34K being extremely fair evaluation of a 15Kmiles '93 from me.
Check out this thread - this owner convinced his insurance company the valuation of his '91 with 40K miles was $35K! (I personally believe that to be high however.)
There wouldn't be much doubt in my mind of the milage being accurate - the seats have no bolster wear & the radio buttons are as new. Both very good indicators of use.

Incidentally, the CD changer is not a dealer install mount - the unit mormally is on the right side of the trunk with a swing-down cradle for ease of loading/unloading the cartridge. Not a deal killer of course, just an observation.

I made a counter offer. I would buy the car for 28-29! But that is about as high as I am going! I have driven a NSX and they are great cars. So great that I would be selling a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo 500hp Convertible Corvette to buy the NSX. That is how highly I regard the NSX! Thanks for all the replies.

If you get it for 28-29 that would be a steal. I agree with everyone else that the owner is asking fair value. I doubt he is going to bend 5-6k, maybe 1K but if he does good for you. I still think i34k is a good deal for a clean low mileage NSX, I looked for a long time for my car and I would of jumped on that.

Lingenfelter said:
I made a counter offer. I would buy the car for 28-29! But that is about as high as I am going! I have driven a NSX and they are great cars. So great that I would be selling a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo 500hp Convertible Corvette to buy the NSX. That is how highly I regard the NSX! Thanks for all the replies.

I know what you're going through, it's tough to pay a premium price for a car that to most people at least on paper seems underpowered/overpriced etc. Of course once you drive one, and look at one for a bit, you know why they still sell for a premium, but it's still tough to swallow.

Good luck with the purchase!

KBB is generally inaccurate. They probably buy their used vehicle purchase prices from state DMV's...

and we all know how people always put the accurate and correct sale price on the title slip because they love to pay thousands and thousands of dollars extra in vehicle registration taxes....

Nothing personal, but i think it is ignorant and very stupid when a person comes up and says "......but kbb is blah blah on the car"....i will explain why.....

This hits close to home, because when i had the 91 nsx with 50k on it for $29500, one of the cheapest priced nsx (under 60k mi) in the nation...i still got people to email me or call me and say....but kelly blue book is $18k !!

i mean come on ....when your searching the classifieds , you can clearly see that most 91's with 50k miles or less are near $30k, and most even higher...Infact most 91 with decent miles are in the upper $20's..and after seeing what people are asking for their cars...a logical thinking person would then come to the conclusion that "hey at $18k ...kbb is obviously waaay off !! " and is the wrong value for these early nsx years.

That also applies to this topic and this specific car we are talking about...
When you are shopping for an nsx and comparing cars...dont you see that most 93 nsx with decent miles are in $30k plus range...even on ebay..you can clearly see that.....so after seeing similar cars when your looking for your nsx, you come across a 93 with the extremely low miles of 15k.....and the guy is asking $34k.......is it that hard to realize...that its a great deal...just by comparing to other 93's...or even 91 or 92's with similar mileage !!!

So ..." IN MY OPINION"....its unexcusable....after seeing all that ...to say but kbb is $25k !!!..and he is asking way too much !!!

I am sure some fellow nsxprime members on here who sold their nsx....can relate to what i am saying when people ignorantly and passionately bring up kbb to you......even when these people can clearly see during their search..that all early nsxs market price is much much more then kbb !!!!

For $34k it's a steal with that few miles on it. As long as the pain/interior/etc are in the shape they should be for 15k miles, I'd take it and RUN.

Lingenfelter said:
I made a counter offer. I would buy the car for 28-29! But that is about as high as I am going! ..... That is how highly I regard the NSX! Thanks for all the replies.
Apparently you don't rate it very highly at all - I know this thread must be full of seemingly very biased opinions from a group of NSX enthusiasts who might be expected to be coloured as such, but $29K for the car described would be considered a low-ball offer, not the least viable.
You can certainly find an NSX, even a nice one, for $29K - but not for that year with similar mileage or condition. Maybe a 91-92 with 50K miles or so.
No slam intended, but I'm not sure why you came to the site asking for opinions of its value, then decide you know its worth better than a number of people intimately familiar with the marque?
Nevertheless, if the seller has brain fade & lets it go for that (doubtful!) I wish you good luck! It would certainly be a terrific deal you could be proud of.

Ray Rodriguez said:
This car is been on ebay for awhile & with 15000 miles & always been garaged, why is the engine bay & under the hood so dirty? I would do alot of research on this car.

I was kind of wondering the same thing about the dirty hood and engine bay but just figured someone might have driven it in rain on a muddy road?

Well I appreciate the opinions, but my client who has a car dealership said the price was high and he is going to find me one with a little more miles in the 26-27 thousand dollar range. He has bought and sold NSX's in the past, so he knows the car AND the market. I will wait and get a better deal. Thanks for all the replies.

Ray Rodriguez said:
This car is been on ebay for awhile & with 15000 miles & always been garaged, why is the engine bay & under the hood so dirty? I would do alot of research on this car.
The interior / seat bolsters show minimal wear though - looks like new. It may have had little or no compartment maintenance i.e. brake fluid or coolant changes, timing belt, H20 pump, etc. You know how some owners are with very low mileage cars - "only 15,000 miles, its not due yet" :rolleyes:

I didn't see any indication of maintenance in the EBay ad. I think that he could knock off $1500 - 2000 for the deferred maintenance (timing belt,water pump, fluid changes and filters) if that is the case. If all the maintenance is complete, then it IS a fair price as listed.

Last edited:
Lingenfelter said:
Well I appreciate the opinions, but my client who has a car dealership said the price was high and he is going to find me one with a little more miles in the 26-27 thousand dollar range. He has bought and sold NSX's in the past, so he knows the car AND the market. I will wait and get a better deal. Thanks for all the replies.
No offense intended, although I realize some will be taken, but your client may be used to screwing people out of money at his dealership. Unless there is something wrong with that car, the price is NOT high.

Lingenfelter said:

Lingenfelter....what nsxprime members on here are telling you is geniune advice..and an honest guide.......and believe me......i have worked in the car business for years...and i bought hundreds of cars...... and even at that...your dealer friend would not know more (price, history, performance etc...) about the nsx then the cumulative opinion of nsx prime members.

So i am not sure what you mean by "find me one with LITTLE MORE MILES"....i take "LITTLE more" than 15kmi..to be 25k, double it at
30K... maybe 50k......so at that i think its virtually impossible to find 93nsx with 25k, 30k , or even 50k for $26k...unless there is something up with the car or the guy selling it.

I looked through the classifieds, and the average price for 93 nsx with 25k,
30k, or even 50k...is about $37k...and the cheapest being around
$35k......now since he is a dealer...and he works in the car business..he can "probably" get the car couple of thousands less ......so instead of an average price of $35k..maybe....$33k....maaaaaybe $31k..but no way for
$26k .......

THE cheapest 93 nsx i found in the classifieds was around $28k......but these cars had at least 85,000 miles...and many had over 100,000 miles.. .and since they were the "cheapest"..we dont know the condition still....the average price was still around $30k.....so if your definition of "LITTLE" more than 15k....means 80,000 or over 100,000 miles...and condition is not a point....then "maybe" he can find you one for $26k.....

good luck....

Lingenfelter said:
Well I appreciate the opinions, but my client who has a car dealership said the price was high and he is going to find me one with a little more miles in the 26-27 thousand dollar range. He has bought and sold NSX's in the past, so he knows the car AND the market. I will wait and get a better deal.
Make sure you post back here and let us know how that turns out. :)

Well,
I appreciate the opinions, but my friend has bought used NSX's before and he assures me he can get a 93 with similar miles for around 26-28K, and I have no reason to doubt him. He has got me many a great deal on my cars.
Thanks again.

Lingenfelter said:
Well,
I appreciate the opinions, but my friend has bought used NSX's before and he assures me he can get a 93 with similar miles for around 26-28K, and I have no reason to doubt him. He has got me many a great deal on my cars.
Thanks again.
And therefore you're asking for advice here .... why, exactly? :confused:

Back