Look Out

Yes I know I won't be attending college. I know about the instructors being flown out. That is fine by me. I plan on getting more than one degree anyway. While I'm in the Navy I plan on getting a Bachelor degree in computer sciences. After I get out its off to Purdue for their Engineering program. I have my next 10-15 years planned out. Whether or not they all get done is another story but I know what I want.

I hope everything goes well for you, I honestly do.

My "don't go into the military" arguement wasn't based on my dislike for war - it was based on the fact that if you are going to go into it, you need to for the right reasons. Paying for college may or maynot be one of them.

As for planning out the next few years of your life...
I just want to share my experiences with you, not to discourage you, but to maybe help you think about things, or whatever.

You sound like me at 18. Honestly. I'm only 22 now, lol, but 18 seems like sooo long ago. I planned everything out also - 4 years of engineering school which I was accepted in and had a 3.8GPA in... marry my then girlfriend, live happily ever after etc etc... Well we broke up, I lost interest in the school and major and transferred spur of the moment to Kent for Architecture. That didnt go well because I didn't know a thing about it, and well I went from 3.8 to 0.75 in 6 months. I've since gone thru 2 more majors and lucked out that I found Design and love it.
Also, my sister was diagnosed with cancer last summer (5% recovery chance) and she beat the cancer early this summer... but was re-diagnosed this week. Her plans of going to school were again post-poned because she needs immediate surgery.

This situation is quite different than you're likely to encounter... My point is that plans don't always pan out. Mine sure didn't. I will end up being ok because of some luck and that I left myself options. I don't wanna see a guy go into the military just to pay for school.

If you'll pay for a piece of metal that depreciates, but won't make an investment in yourself, one that will yield millions of dollars in your lifetime, you should reverse that.

Rock on NAVY-man if you want to go for the Navy - :)

good luck.

Go Navy!

WickedX said:
I'm going to the military to pay for my college. Basically my only reason for going. I would have joined the corps but they just aren't for me. It was either Air Force or Navy and I picked the Navy.
I did ROTC for college $. I've been a short-timer since graduation in 1983!!! 11 years active, 12 years Reserves.
Navy/Marine Corps, you can't go wrong...what program (what are you going to do in the Navy)?

WickedX said:
Yes I know I won't be attending college. I know about the instructors being flown out. That is fine by me. I plan on getting more than one degree anyway. While I'm in the Navy I plan on getting a Bachelor degree in computer sciences. After I get out its off to Purdue for their Engineering program. I have my next 10-15 years planned out. Whether or not they all get done is another story but I know what I want.

Served 9.5 years in the Navy today... end my active next month and then will be on the reserve.
I Know from first hand about college in the Navy...
It is do-able if you have the can do attitude. Yes the Armed Forces will pay all of your tuition while you are on active duty and then GI bill after you get out... The Armed Forces nowadays are way better than 5-10 years ago.
You get to see places while youre at it.
I would go back to 9 years and do it over again only this time I would buy bunch of NSX parts from Japan and bring them back (was in Japan 1997-2000)
Other than that good luck on your journey!

Back