• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long Term Updates on SOS SC/Laminova IC?

Not many people have the Laminova IC. Batmans had one, but now uses the Driving Ambition one.

Mase just finished tuning a SOS SC car (3.0) and it put down 347rwhp on dyno dynamics.

I am curious, is that hp number kinda low, relatively?

Not many people have the Laminova IC. Batmans had one, but now uses the Driving Ambition one.

Mase just finished tuning a SOS SC car (3.0) and it put down 347rwhp on dyno dynamics.

I am curious, is that hp number kinda low, relatively?

I haven't seen any other dyno dynamics numbers, so I am not sure.

Charles Mase Turbo car put down 420rwhp. BobK was 403rhwp. Both 3.0

Any takes on what is a more reliable system (and easier to tune)--SOS SC + IC or high-boost Autorotor CTSC + IC?

From what I've read on Prime, they make equal power.

The boost that would put it on par with an SOS/IC system with target ~400 rwhp. I'm basically trying to figure out what's a better choice.

Any takes on what is a more reliable system (and easier to tune)--SOS SC + IC or high-boost Autorotor CTSC + IC?

From what I've read on Prime, they make equal power.

IMHO both systems are equally reliable; assuming a good tune. For reference, my set up (latter of the two) has been bullet proof over 30k+ miles including light track duty.

Is an AEM system needed for either setup, SOS or hi-boost Autorotor?

You don't need an aem for high boost ctsc, I think you need aem for any SOS sc.

It is probably a good idea to run aem on a high boost ctsc though.

I have no local NSX-experienced tuner (and am admittedly not very car-tech savvy) and am trying to figure out what the best route is for me. My goal is to make my car faster for the street/spirited driving. I don't track nor do i street race but want the NSX to get an extra edge and bring it up to modern power levels. I'm not disappointed with the stock system--I have CT headers and my NA2 pulls pretty hard. I haven't driven any others recently for comparison but wouldn't be surprised if it dyno's higher than expected. However, I'm ready for boost.

Given my situation, I've already determined that SC fits my needs better than Turbo due to multiple reasons. My choices are:

1) SOS SC system. I want to do it right and so I think the intercooler is recommended from what I've read. This also requires AEM. So I would have to go out of area (probably pretty far) and find a tuner. Main pro is more power and one and done scenario (assuming a single tune at beginning does the trick)

2) CTSC This is obviously more plug and play. No worries about engine management. That's the pro. The con is that I'm not sure it adds enough power. I've read multiple threads where people feel ~400-410 rwhp is the "sweet spot" for NSX power/weight, driving fun, etc. I know this is an opinion, but it's been iterated by multiple different people on Prime. CTSC will not get me there. But, who knows, I may be satisfied with the power it gives and that's the end. If not, I could turn CTSC into hi-boost and add an intercooler later. I'm not sure how easy that is and will probably end up needing the aid of tuner at that time. Of course, that means multiple stages of work and added costs (assuming a one-time turnkey SOS install with IC will be less?)

Any recommendations on what's the best path to pursue? Again, my main limitation is the lack of a local tuner. If I lived in AZ, I would just drop it off @ SOS and let them do their thing.

I have no local NSX-experienced tuner (and am admittedly not very car-tech savvy) and am trying to figure out what the best route is for me. My goal is to make my car faster for the street/spirited driving. I don't track nor do i street race but want the NSX to get an extra edge and bring it up to modern power levels. I'm not disappointed with the stock system--I have CT headers and my NA2 pulls pretty hard. I haven't driven any others recently for comparison but wouldn't be surprised if it dyno's higher than expected. However, I'm ready for boost.

Given my situation, I've already determined that SC fits my needs better than Turbo due to multiple reasons. My choices are:

1) SOS SC system. I want to do it right and so I think the intercooler is recommended from what I've read. This also requires AEM. So I would have to go out of area (probably pretty far) and find a tuner. Main pro is more power and one and done scenario (assuming a single tune at beginning does the trick)

2) CTSC This is obviously more plug and play. No worries about engine management. That's the pro. The con is that I'm not sure it adds enough power. I've read multiple threads where people feel ~400-410 rwhp is the "sweet spot" for NSX power/weight, driving fun, etc. I know this is an opinion, but it's been iterated by multiple different people on Prime. CTSC will not get me there. But, who knows, I may be satisfied with the power it gives and that's the end. If not, I could turn CTSC into hi-boost and add an intercooler later. I'm not sure how easy that is and will probably end up needing the aid of tuner at that time. Of course, that means multiple stages of work and added costs (assuming a one-time turnkey SOS install with IC will be less?)

Any recommendations on what's the best path to pursue? Again, my main limitation is the lack of a local tuner. If I lived in AZ, I would just drop it off @ SOS and let them do their thing.
These types of kits are only as good as the tune they're running on. Keep that in mind.

Do you have access to any other owners who will allow you to experience the low-boost vs. the high-boost? There are a few folks in NY who have a CTSC.

If it was me, i'd go with the tried and true Low-Boost standard CTSC kit given your situation. It has the archaic fueling solution but it's been heavily tested not only by Comptech but by many many NSX owners and under varying conditions. The stock low boost is really quite a kick. If you need more then you have the option to do high boost but the consensus is you will need a proper tune (read: engine management computer is likely) to make it run optimal.

Since you're not tracking the car and not looking for the incremental Nth level of performance out of your SC then you save yourself the headache and buy the low-boost CTSC kit. The SOS kit runs a higher displacement blower and it is incrementally better since it's an evolution of the original design but for your purposes though.. i'm not sure if the advantages will be apparent.

$0.02

.....My choices are:

The stock CTSC boost will work with the stock NSX ECu according to my conversation with Nate at CT Engineering. However they provide a black box piggy back to allow a more accurate tune.

Since that's the case I really don't see the huge downfall of the SOS SC that you illustrated.

With 285 wide tires that are extreme rated 450-500 rwhp is more like the sweet spot. I have 430rwhp on 275 and dunlop Z1 SS and I can use a little more power before the NSX fights me on street applications.

Why more power? So I dun have to downshift all of the time.

U get the CTSC and you may have buyers remorse down the line for more power because power is like a drug and the NSX will certainly feel like the chassis and suspension can handle more than the 60RWHp that it gives you.

....The SOS kit runs a higher displacement blower and it is incrementally better since it's an evolution of the original design but for your purposes though.. i'm not sure if the advantages will be apparent.

$0.02

Another nice thing about the larger displacement blowers like the SOS SC is that boost for boost it doesn't get as hot from my understanding.

BTW, CT Engineering is working with Magnuson in trying to get the same TVS 2300 blower that the ZR-1 has for the NSX.

According to the Mustang guys that is the best positive displacement blower since it produces a flatter power band (not by that much though, but more bottom end) and power than the twin screw types. this was a comparison of the KB 2.3 to TVS 2.3.

Also traditional roots blowers are suppose to have less parasitic drag compared to their twin screw counterparts since it doesn't focus on compression the air in the casing/housing like the twin screw. Roots are suppose to compress the air after the blower and in the manifold/heads.

However, the new TVS design is suppose to do some degree of compression in the blower due to it's hybrid design.

Another nice thing about the larger displacement blowers like the SOS SC is that boost for boost it doesn't get as hot from my understanding.

BTW, CT Engineering is working with Magnuson in trying to get the same TVS 2300 blower that the ZR-1 has for the NSX.

According to the Mustang guys that is the best positive displacement blower since it produces a flatter power band (not by that much though, but more bottom end) and power than the twin screw types. this was a comparison of the KB 2.3 to TVS 2.3.

Also traditional roots blowers are suppose to have less parasitic drag compared to their twin screw counterparts since it doesn't focus on compression the air in the casing/housing like the twin screw. Roots are suppose to compress the air after the blower and in the manifold/heads.

However, the new TVS design is suppose to do some degree of compression in the blower due to it's hybrid design.
I have no reason to doubt everything you're saying. Yes, the SOS is likely better in many factors but the benefit is incremental.

The point is, in my opinion, is that he doesn't have easy access to a tuner. If SOS sold their kit with a tried and tested decent base tune that would be interesting.

Last I checked the low-boost CTSC was still CARB legal and still was plug'n play. Mine was plug and play and it runs fantastic with good AFRs. The only issue is long term heatsoak under track and heavy canyon driving conditions. We're talking 30mins+ of sustained VTEC... I never see those conditions on the road.

@ RYU I am thinking the CTSC route will be much easier for me. The only question is will it yield enough power? I guess the appealing aspect of going to CTSC 1st is the option of upgrading to hi-boost and adding intercooler as a step-wise process if necessary.

Last edited:
@ RYU I am thinking the CTSC root will be much easier for me. The only question is will it yield enough power? I guess the appealing aspect of going to CTSC 1st is the option of upgrading to hi-boost and adding intercooler as a step-wise process if necessary.

I have the comptech Whipple low boost. Car made 365whp. I would suggest even with this kit some type of tuning. My car was running very lean with the stock kit

@ RYU I am thinking the CTSC root will be much easier for me. The only question is will it yield enough power? I guess the appealing aspect of going to CTSC 1st is the option of upgrading to hi-boost and adding intercooler as a step-wise process if necessary.

Depends how much power you want. CTSC has plenty of power even on 6psi. The TQ is what really makes a car fun to drive anyway and the low boost CTSC still provides plenty of low-end tq.

It is by far the simplest set-up you can do. However, it is not inexpensive, so it might be worth looking at the SOS setup if you plan on going high-boost with AEM anyway.

Back