Little Help Boys

Hi,

I'm a prospective NSX owner. I am coming over from a stock Supra TT and and a built/boosted S2K. I am no stranger to sports cars but I am new to the NSX. I will be putting 10K down and financing the rest. Finances are alreay in order. I may boost this one eventually ... dunno yet

This will be a second car which will most likely be a DD as I have driven one and fell in love.
Which one would you go with?
1. 1991, 60K, needs a clutch, out of snap, needs window fix for $26K
2. 1993, 115K, just had all major service done clutch feels fine for $25K
3. 1994, 160K, volks with new paint for $21.5K

If maintained how long can I expect the motor to last? 200K+? I am leaning towards the 1993 with 115K. Opinions and info are much appriciated

BTW any girls on here?

i would go with #2, having major service done is gonna save big bucks, if its on its first clutch (is it?) it will likely need one soon so thats gonna cost ya $2000-$2500. the third has alot of mileage, i'd do a compression test on it before purchasing it...

Check as to why #3 was repainted. Was it due to an accident. Even if it wasn't, repainting may often reduce the value of a NSX. Also, make sure you get them checked out at a dealer and/or by a NSX tech prior to purchase.

Good luck.

That was quick! 3 posts while I was updating my profile and Sig!
I am thinking about #2 as the mileage isnt too high and it doesnt need any initial work. Why do you say lowest mileage? That car will need an immediate 5K dumped into it making it 31-32K off the bat.
#3 is a car for sale on this site. I havent contacted the seller yet.

I have only seen 1 out of 3 of the above. I havent seen the other ones due to the immediate attention required for 1 and higher mileage on the other.

not 3.

... Why do you say lowest mileage? That car will need an immediate 5K dumped into it making it 31-32K off the bat...

A clean lower mileage NSX with no major issues is always better than a high mileage repainted car. If all it needs is a clutch, then it's a better deal then the other two. Furthermore, if you buy the one with 115k on the odo and put another 50k on it, the car is going to be more difficult to sell when the time comes. Maybe you can negotiate a few more grand off the 1991.

I dont think I will want to sell the NSX. Not really much "upward movement" from this car :D Resale isnt a big concern for me.
Neither of the top 2 have been repainted, both have a clean title except the lower mileage needs a clutch, tires and a window fix. The higher mileage had the belt and such done less than 1K ago.
Does this change your opinion?

For sure #1

P.O = Previous owner

1. 1991, 60K, needs a clutch, out of snap, needs window fix for $26K

Just know you will probably have $30 in it in no time. (Clutch / T belt / Minor maint)

Which kind of opens up your search criteria a bit.
Also, glad to see color does not seem to have much to do with yor decision.
Smart move........

Last edited:
Number 1 will be a lot more expensive than 2 and 3 when you factor in a clutch, timing belt and water pump. I don't know, thats probably $3,500 more right there.

Whats the snapring deal with #2? Fixed, out of range or rolling the dice? Thats a expensive fix. I wouldn't consider one that was in range and not fixed.

As far as how long they will last. If they ONLY made it to 200,000 miles, I would be disappointed.

You don't indicate where you are located, but check with people in your local thread area and they can help you out. Also, if the three vehicles you are considering are outside your local area, check the treads where the vehicle is and the people there may know the vehicle(s) or be willing to check it for you.

Welcome to NSX Prime. You'll find that people here really work together and you'll find a wealth of information. Well, the VAST majority of the time.:biggrin:

For a few thousand bucks more, get the one with 1/2 the miles.
Not to stir the pot, but I would search based on cond. not just low asking price.

Number 1 will be a lot more expensive than 2 and 3 when you factor in a clutch, timing belt and water pump. I don't know, thats probably $3,500 more right there.
Whats the snapring deal with #2? Fixed, out of range or rolling the dice? Thats a expensive fix. I wouldn't consider one that was in range and not fixed.
As far as how long they will last. If they ONLY made it to 200,000 miles, I would be disappointed.

#2 is a 93. I thought the snap issue was only 91-92. Am I wrong?
I was quoted 3200 for a clutch, 4 tires will run 800-1K and window fix 300 so I am estimating 31-32 after all fixes

You don't indicate where you are located, but check with people in your local thread area and they can help you out. Also, if the three vehicles you are considering are outside your local area, check the treads where the vehicle is and the people there may know the vehicle(s) or be willing to check it for you.

I am Bay Area CA. #3 is in my area the other 2 are out. I may be driving to LA this coming weekend. Would a member here really help me out by checking out a car for me??! That would save me 10 hours of seat time.

Welcome to NSX Prime. You'll find that people here really work together and you'll find a wealth of information. Well, the VAST majority of the time.:biggrin:
Thank you for the welcome! I was a bit apprehensive to join after that "new people are causing problems" post I read on my first visit here. I'm more fluent that most of the guys I know when it comes to cars :D ... especially in boost so I hope I am not automatically placed in the above catagory :wink:

For a few thousand bucks more, get the one with 1/2 the miles.
Not to stir the pot, but I would search based on cond. not just low asking price.
It would be 6-8K more which is substantial. I am looking for condition above all else. I just want to keep my payment under $300 a month so I dont want to go above 26K

Just my .02 but no. 1 hands down. If you going forced induction down the road then lower mileage by all means. Do the clutch job and TB/WP at the same time. Broken windows are'nt an issue for me because windows on any year can fail w/out notice. But whichever you decide on, try to get as much history as you can on it.

I was quoted 3200 for a clutch, 4 tires will run 800-1K and window fix 300 so I am estimating 31-32 after all fixes
Depending on who installs your clutch determines cost. RJP is a vendor here and had a complete OEM unit for around $1285.00. Labor depends on who you know.:wink:

Depending on who installs your clutch determines cost. RJP is a vendor here and had a complete OEM unit for around $1285.00. Labor depends on who you know.:wink:

It's '91 and only a small percentage of those had a problem. As often been stated, drive it until you develope the problems, then stop it and have it fixed.

Also, get multiple quotes because from my experience, your quotes, they are extremely high.

Doug

If you don't mind spending 6k on any of these cars then buy the car of your choice. IMO you would be better of finding a car with "full-history" for a few more thousand say 29-31 with lowest mileage possible. If you are not concerned about mileage or history buy an nsx with high miles say 140+ for 25 and below and enjoy it :)

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing

Sounds like your cutting it a bit too close.
For a tiny bit more you can get a great car.
Or hold out for one of those super deals we hear about now and then.
There have been many threads lately about the 25k NSX.
But as your finding out there really is no free lunch.
This chart still seems to be right on as far as 91-94's go.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing
Just trying to save you some possible aggravation.

With E30 M3's there was the $15k rule. Buy for less, but to get it right your at 15k. Or pay 15k up front. (Now its the $18k-$20k rule)
Early NSX's seem to follow the min. $30k rule and have for quite a few years.
Not easy to get a "needs nothing" NSX for under 30k.
But its very easy to get one for under 30k that needs attention / $$$$
This is a great car! Even more fun if you buy a good one as you can drive it and recoup most of your $$$. Buy the wrong one, and you will be upside down
in the 1st week.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/buy_sell.htm

I'm not sure where this no history thing came from...
The one I am leaning towards (#2 with 115K) has had 3 owners, one of which was a dealer. It carfaxed clean and is currently owned by a cop in La/OC area. There are complete service records for everything and it was mainly serviced at Riverside Acura.
#1 carfaxed clean with 8 owners, 1 of which was a dealer. Service records are not all through Acura.
#3 I havent even called on yet and I am not going to.

I am sure #2 has had a clutch / Pr plate installed after 115k.
Better find out 1st. Otherwise your back to square 1.

Have you driven #2?
Drive / ride in as many as possible. So you know what a good one is supposed to feel like.:biggrin:

Believe me, everyone is just here trying to help.

I'm not sure where this no history thing came from...
The one I am leaning towards (#2 with 115K) has had 3 owners, one of which was a dealer. It carfaxed clean and is currently owned by a cop in La/OC area. There are complete service records for everything and it was mainly serviced at Riverside Acura.
#1 carfaxed clean with 8 owners, 1 of which was a dealer. Service records are not all through Acura.
#3 I havent even called on yet and I am not going to.

thats a lot of owners for #1...:rolleyes:

I would go with #2 IMO if its in excellent condition and nothing is wrong with it. Plus, it had all major service done.

good luck

8 owners=herpes somewhere:tongue: Look at the car carefuly.Plus smokers can really put a hurtin on the interior.

8 owners=herpes somewhere:tongue: Look at the car carefuly.Plus smokers can really put a hurtin on the interior.

Doc there are signs and there are symptons I was thinking more like bubonic plague herpes can be controlled :biggrin:

Back