• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Let do a STOPTECH BBK group buy!!!

That is exacttttly the same wheels that I have. I guess if I want a BBK, I would need another set of rims.

KGP said:
YYYYYyyahhh that is the one that TAN has. It looks sweeeet, will it fit SSR Integral A2?

At a minimum people need to specify which SSR Integral A2 as well as the width and offset of the wheel. It's hard to answer questions without the proper information .

I have the Wilwood 4 corner kit, and I also have SSR Integrals that I had hoped to fit over the kit. They do NOT fit under the Integral's I have. Front: 17x7 38 offset, and Rear: 18x9 45 offest.

Originally, Sherwin of the Brake Zone (designer of the kit) guaranteed me that the kit would fit under my Integrals. Much to my dismay, they didn't. I ordered Volk CT-C's from Ben, and those do fit over the Wilwoods. If you need the specifics of my GT-C's, let me know.

Re: wilwood kit

speed within reach said:
These will go quick so the first ten people to order and pay are the winners. I talked to my manufacturer because of all the publicity Wilwood has been getting for their civic kit and Integra. I want to get these kits into the NSX market so they realize that even at my retail prices you cannot get a better kit for the NSX.

Hmm.. From what I recall the Wilwood kit does not make use of floating hats on their rotors, and the rotors are crossdrilled and slotted, so perhaps they might be the "best kit" for the money for show, but it might be a different story for those of us who care about the go part.

Just my 2cents.

Ken

PoohBEAR said:
Z. 0, I like Tan's....you know what kind it is?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hummmmm!! that look good ...I'm in!!!!
Ps..I like the stoptech because the caliper look like Brembo!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Let do a STOPTECH BBK group buy!!!

FuryNSX said:
That doesn't really help in my situation, since if I recall correctly Allen had a 18/19 inch setup.

-Randy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh!!!!! Yes, you right! Randy.....than new rims it is!!!!!!:D

PoohBEAR said:
That is exacttttly the same wheels that I have. I guess if I want a BBK, I would need another set of rims.
Unless you want to run spacers. ;) Because my car is at FX in Vegas, still with the Integral's on it, I had them put some spacers on it just for the shipment home. I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that the rears will be very close in terms of clipping the fender. I'd be happy to let you know when it arrives if you wish.

Re: Re: wilwood kit

2slow2speed said:
Hmm.. From what I recall the Wilwood kit ...the rotors are crossdrilled and slotted, so perhaps they might be the "best kit" for the money for show, but it might be a different story for those of us who care about the go part.
Noted, Ken! However, the rotors can come in the arrangement you want. Slotted only, cross drilled only, and I suspect plain-jane, but I don't know "plain-jane' for a fact. I do know I will put them to the test with 550+ rwhp at the track, and will report my experience.

Re: Re: wilwood kit

2slow2speed said:
Hmm.. From what I recall the Wilwood kit does not make use of floating hats on their rotors, and the rotors are crossdrilled and slotted, so perhaps they might be the "best kit" for the money for show, but it might be a different story for those of us who care about the go part.

Just my 2cents.

Ken

Hi Ken,

You made several good points perhaps we should address. I understand completely the perception that Wilwood's products are sub-par relative to other offerings that have out of the box features such as floating hats, dust seals, etc... not to mention the fact that Wilwood's products have not been marketed as well within the import market as they could have been in the past.

While I would never expect a $3000 product to preform as well under harsh track or pro use as a far more expensive offering like the Comptech Evo Kit... nor have the stigma that a name like "Brembo" brings to the table... it is our firm belief that for the majority of enthusiasts and applications our Wilwood kit will get the job done when coupled with the right pads, tires, etc...

Thus, I have corrected Mike's original statement above that you eluded to so as to eliminate any confusion. Also, it should be noted that our kit's rotors are available in a slotted only configuration as well.

Inevitably, it is our intention to prove our products worth and value to even the most skeptical of users- and we hope to do that going forward.

Their has been two magazine articles on Wilwood's BBK's performance in the last three months. The owner of Kawagen who tracks his car every weekend, and also competes in the racing circuit runs the Wilwood kit on his personal vehicle and we have sets on our own vehicles at this time.

Once we get some translators in here we will reprint the articles and perhaps just begin to change your mind about their track performance so our kits do not get relegated to use at hot import nights. :D

Ken at factor X just installed a kit for one of his fx500 customers and really liked the kit. We plan on really supporting this kit and garnering user feedback and reviews going forward so we can further develop the kit and make it the best bang for the buck out there within the NSX community.

Best Regards,

John

Re: Re: Re: wilwood kit

speed within reach said:

Ken at factor X just installed a kit for one of his fx500 customers and really liked the kit.
Sorry, but that statement of endorsment is not fair. Ken has driven the car (with the BK) only during break-in of a new engine build (with turbo), and to suggest that a vendor who deals in speed for the NSX has given a stamp of approval is simply not fair.

I hope I, and Sig, can give such an endoresment, but time will tell.

speed within reach said:
Hi Ken,

You made several good points perhaps we should address. I understand completely the perception that Wilwood's products are sub-par relative to other offerings that have out of the box features such as floating hats, dust seals, etc... not to mention the fact that Wilwood's products have not been marketed as well within the import market as they could have been in the past.

While I would never expect a $3000 product to preform as well under harsh track or pro use as a far more expensive offering like the Comptech Evo Kit... nor have the stigma that a name like "Brembo" brings to the table... it is our firm belief that for the majority of enthusiasts and applications our Wilwood kit will get the job done when coupled with the right pads, tires, etc...

Thus, I have corrected Mike's original statement above that you eluded to so as to eliminate any confusion. Also, it should be noted that our kit's rotors are available in a slotted only configuration as well.

Inevitably, it is our intention to prove our products worth and value to even the most skeptical of users- and we hope to do that going forward.

Their has been two magazine articles on Wilwood's BBK's performance in the last three months. The owner of Kawagen who tracks his car every weekend, and also competes in the racing circuit runs the Wilwood kit on his personal vehicle and we have sets on our own vehicles at this time.

Once we get some translators in here we will reprint the articles and perhaps just begin to change your mind about their track performance so our kits do not get relegated to use at hot import nights. :D

Ken at factor X just installed a kit for one of his fx500 customers and really liked the kit. We plan on really supporting this kit and garnering user feedback and reviews going forward so we can further develop the kit and make it the best bang for the buck out there within the NSX community.

Best Regards,

John

John,

Thanks for addressing the issues that I brought up.

FYI, I know that the owner of Route-KS runs Wilwood's on his NSX, there was a "time-attack" shootout of tuners at Tsukuba and there were several articles that were written about the Route-KS NSX, so I have read them in detail. I happen to be Japanese so that helps too ;). He was attempting to break the Naturally Aspirated Engine car record of being able to go under a minute which was eventually broken by the ASM S2000 during the shootout.

I also know that Igor (Like007) switched to the Wilwoods on his NSX (front and rear kit), same thing for Craig down in SoCal. Both of them track or autocross their vehicles, and they are very happy with their products.

I don't have any problems with Wilwood's kits per se, since I have seen them on many cars at the track (both domestic as well as imports), even some of the Radicals (dedicated track cars) that are being sold in US make use of Wilwood's for their braking system.

I was just pointing out some of the differences that have been brought up in the past regarding the Wilwood kit, if briging these differences up makes the manufacturer address some of them then it's a good thing.

I personally believe that having multiple choices for braking systems on the NSX is good as long as the manufacturers stands by their products.

That being said, a lot of the products that are being aimed at the Import Car market by some of the manufacturers (I'm not referring to Wilwood BTW) are sub par when they encouter real life heavy track usage.

The feedback that I have seen about the Wilwood Kit has been very minimal, I have not seen or heard any feedback about the kit besides the initial impressions about the kit that were posted a while back. So either the folks who installed the kit never push them or the kit is so good that it does not have problems.

Ken

BTW: I've tried to share my experiences with the Stoptech BBK, addressing both the +'ve and the -'ve aspects of the kit, so that potential buyers are well informed.

Edit: Typos galore, hehe

Last edited:

KGP said:
Noted, Ken! However, the rotors can come in the arrangement you want. Slotted only, cross drilled only, and I suspect plain-jane, but I don't know "plain-jane' for a fact. I do know I will put them to the test with 550+ rwhp at the track, and will report my experience.

OK, sounds like a plan, looking forward to the reports about how the kit performs with tons of abuse :D

Hmm.. 550rwhp?, yikes!, that might be a real pain to deal with if the boost comes up at the wrong time or if you loose boost at the wrong time... It will probably require a lot of skill and practice to drive such a beast smoothly at the track :cool:

Ken

KGP said:
Sorry, but that statement of endorsement is not fair. Ken has driven the car (with the BK) only during break-in of a new engine build (with turbo), and to suggest that a vendor who deals in speed for the NSX has given a stamp of approval is simply not fair.

I hope I, and Sig, can give such an endorsement, but time will tell.

Hi KGP,

The statement made wasn't to indicate that we had Ken's firm's formal endorsement. I apologize if it came across that way. I was just trying to indicate that initially we had received some positive feedback for the limited number that had been sent out so far.

Ideally, product endorsements should be earned, not given away just for opening a box from UPS or doing a few minutes of late night driving around the neighborhood with a product bolted on. So, I think we are on the same page in trying to maintain a slightly higher bar of expectation for product reviews across a broader array of scenarios. After all, without frank, candid, feedback the user data is of course valueless.

Hopefully, going forward we will be able to earn Ken's endorsement and others in a bigger way as more track testing gets done. During the course, we will of course be available to provide any customer support that will be required for all parties involved.

Hope that helps.

John

Mike can you tell me how wilwood deals with the caliper brackets if the rotor is not floating.If the rotors are firmly bolted to the hats then does that mean that the calipers are mounted on flexable brackets?I say this because if not I'd be wary of this system to deal with the inherent vibration and tight tolerences required of track setups.Plus more heat may be transmited to the wheel hub.Just thinking out loud about this.

I would stay the hell away from Wilwood kits, the only reason why anyone would purchase them is due to the price, they are cheap but cheap for a reason. Most of the vendors simply just built their own kits for the car, fabricating their own brackets and use off the shelf calipers. I believe most of the wilwood kits doesn't even come w/ a dust boot; most racers don't even bother because they are just so cheap to replace.

I had purchased a wilwood brake kit for my civic si hatchback, and let me tell you, saving that $2000 over the brembo was the biggest mistake I've ever made.

w/ the stoptech & brembo kit, you just can't go wrong, I believe the two brands will perform the same, but I like the brembo looks & brand better :) The brembo kit on my M3 functions 110% all the time, street or track!

group by

If anyone is interested in the GB of stoptech or wilwood kits. Please post it the kit you want to buy here.
1 what brand stoptech or wilwood
2 and what stage kit
I have had calls about both kits.I am only requiring 5 kits for the wilwood GB

For stoptech 10 kits @ 20 % off retail

As far as the wilwood kit, a new front six piston caliper will be used that was recently released. It is even slimmer than the original allowing it to clear more wheels without spacers. info on the caliper can be found here:
http://www.wilwood.com/001_TJM/calipers folder/calipers/calipers/bsl6r14/index.asp
The rotorts are also offered in red but there is a extra charge for red of $250. Here is a pic of the calipers in red of
http://www.wilwood.com/wil04/homepage folder/homepage/Photographs/c5calipers.jpg
Also the wilwood kit rotors are offered in slotted and crossdrilled or just slotted.

wilwood reviews

THonda said:
I would stay the hell away from Wilwood kits, the only reason why anyone would purchase them is due to the price, they are cheap but cheap for a reason. Most of the vendors simply just built their own kits for the car, fabricating their own brackets and use off the shelf calipers. I believe most of the wilwood kits doesn't even come w/ a dust boot; most racers don't even bother because they are just so cheap to replace.

I had purchased a wilwood brake kit for my civic si hatchback, and let me tell you, saving that $2000 over the brembo was the biggest mistake I've ever made.

w/ the stoptech & brembo kit, you just can't go wrong, I believe the two brands will perform the same, but I like the brembo looks & brand better :) The brembo kit on my M3 functions 110% all the time, street or track!
Wilwood has come a long way in the last year, and have had positve reviews in mainstream import magazines I have had brembos on my old car and wilwoods on my nsx and can say that brembos did not brake any better or offer any better performance in my opinion. There will be some reviews coming in on this kit. So lets see what they have to say. Allot of R&D went into this kit. Please check out this link
http://www.wilwood.com/mediacoverage.asp

Re: Re: fittment

KGP said:
A few members have found out that the Stoptech template is not as accuarate as it should be. I recall one instance where an owner printed out the template and that it showed how wheels would fit without spacers. Later when the wheels were fitted over the BBK, spacers were required to make them fit. While the paper template is a nice tool, if it shows that your wheels would be close in fitment, I would find another owner with the same wheels who could verify fitment.

I suspect this is because their printer is not set to print actual size. It happened to me, luckily I measured it and compared it with printed measurement. I realized what had happened and change the setting on the printer.

info

docjohn said:
Mike can you tell me how wilwood deals with the caliper brackets if the rotor is not floating.If the rotors are firmly bolted to the hats then does that mean that the calipers are mounted on flexable brackets?I say this because if not I'd be wary of this system to deal with the inherent vibration and tight tolerences required of track setups.Plus more heat may be transmited to the wheel hub.Just thinking out loud about this.
The hat is not mounted by a flexible braket, but I will get you all this technical information from the designer of the kit about your concerns . I know that I have no vibrations at all, even at extreme high speeds. I think the kit is fantastic, and offer excellent performance for a great price. I am even in the process of selling my kit right now to test a new stage 3 wilwood kit that was developed for SWR. The kit will be tested by four other people besides myself. If it's performance is up to par like the first two kits it will then be released for sale to the nsx commmunity. It will probally be released at nsx expo. I want the people that are testing the kit time to get as much track testing as possible. This kit I am hoping to out perform the stoptech and brembo kits.

Re: info

speed within reach said:
The kit will be tested by four other people besides myself. If it's performance is up to par like the first two kits it will then be released for sale to the nsx commmunity. It will probally be released at nsx expo. I want the people that are testing the kit time to get as much track testing as possible. This kit I am hoping to out perform the stoptech and brembo kits.

that's good news. Please post empirical data, where the track they are being tested, and lap times. Also need to know the credential of those doing the testing.

The new Willwood calipers are getting more popular in budget racing. The price is very attractive, and performance seem to improve. I'm intrigued myself and would like to know more.

Did we ever establish a price for the stoptech GB, or did this fizzle?

We currently have not had enough interested parties to execute on the Stop Tech GB at this time, although it is still on-going. I hope to add the functionality to the site to allow it to provide real-time GB status going forward. I think that would be rather compelling.

Currently, the Wilwood GB is fairing much better, so you may to take a second look at that. I plan on revising the listing in the next several days in my copious free time.

Thanks for the response!

As long as you have 'copious free time', can you add a Taitec headers one too?

weight

On my 96, if I remember correctly was closed to about 30 pounds. I will check the exact weight savings on the new stage 3 kit, which comes with 14 inch front and 13 inch rear rotors.
Best Regards,
Mike

Thirty pounds weight savings?

How about just the rotor weight savings? After reading about the titanium kit, I'm really curious to know what type of rwhp gains you can get by throwing on some light weight rotors.

-Justin

Back