Last-minute buying decision

Trying to decide bewteen a '93 NSX with 89k mi and a '99 Corvette hardtop with 52k mi. They're within $2k of each other in price. It's killing me! Seems like there are advantages and disadvantages of both of them, what scares me most about the NSX is the cost to own...the insurance is twice as high as the vette (for me anyway), and the repairs are certainly more expensive. I think they're both beautiful cars though. I know I'm talking to a biased audienced, but you all seem pretty fair and knowledgable--what do you think?

I'm buying one or the other as a part time weekend and track car, not a daily driver.

Thanks!

Kevin,
Sounds like you have a delema:D All I can say is, "Listen to your heart and the car will follow." In term of the cost of insurance, it won't be much for a part-time car regardless of which one you will buy. now.....boom ..booom...boommm...listen to your heart!! :D

I have driven them both, a lot to like about both of them. Vette is more comfy and has an awesome amount of power, but the NSX is tight like a real sports car. Chevy is definitely cheaper looking inside, but Acura looks *kinda* like an 11-year old interior. Again, tough call.

For what it is worth....

Well I have never owned a vette, but have owned several modded f-body's. The LS1 is a great motor for sure. I would say if you are looking for raw brute power and will wanting to be doing a lot of mods, then go for the vette, but if you want a clean looking sweet stylin ride then go for the NSX. I pick up my first one tomorrow. So I gave some condsideration to a vette as well. I like the idea of having something a little more unique like the NSX.

I will say this though, if money is a concern and I knew that insurance was going to be twice is high on the nsx for the vette, I would probably be leaning towards the vette.

If I was going to be using it as a daily driver I would probably go for a vette, just because I would be to paranoid about somebody hitting it and racking up alot of miles on it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Charlie

I like both cars and own both cars. I've always liked the feel of the NSX better but it definitely lacks the torque of the Corvette.

If you're serious about competitive track use (and that usually leads to modifications), I'd go with the Vette. If you just want to run for the fun of it, either car is fine.

But as some of the prior posts suggest, drive both and decide for yourself. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Another big factor to consider is depreciation over the time you will keep the car. A '99 vette will probably depreciate a lot more than the '93 NSX. It's hard to estimate this but it's a big number. Also, while NSX's may cost more to fix, they don't break as often.

I struggled with a similar Vette vs NSX decision. I just love Honda's better than GM. Another factor is that I felt that the Corvette was much more difficult to control - a lot of power but didn't always go in the direction you pointed it. With the NSX, it goes exactly where you want it to.

kevintari said:
Good opinions...here's another question: the car is 1500 miles away. how do you feel about buying one sight unseen?

Simple, if you are *serious* about buying a car 1500 miles away, I would ask someone that is close to the car to inspect it. And if everything checks out, go get it, and buy the person that inspected the car a nice dinner! :D

Regards,
- Z

ps - I was also torn between the C5 and NSX a few years ago. I felt that if I didn't get the NSX, I would regret it everytime I'd see one on the road. Which rarely happens. And also, if I bought a C5 and saw as many C5's as I do, I would even more so regret getting it. Just my 2 cents...

That is a tough call. It sounds like money is a big issue, so I would probably go with the vette and get a NSX later down the road. Though the hardtop vette was the least desirable vette and may be even harder to get rid of down the line.

Factor depreciation into your decision. After a few years of use you will have close to the same money with the NSX and about 1/2 your original sum for the vettes resale value.

c5 vs. nsx

I have owned both. I have owned 2 C5 coupes and a 92 x now.
My take... Too many c-5 coupes out there now to make it unique.
C5 is a great car. Probably the best all around car for the money made and one of the best looking cars ever built.
They are solid and run like... well you know.
The C5 WILL depreciate more and more rapidly.

The NSX is just much more of an exotic car and get's gawks everywhere you go. The c5 would spank the nsx in most competitive situations... but not in the awe factor.
Vette is probably a better choice for a track car. You run ANY car hard on track, something will break. I would not want the cost of repairing a track nsx. (porsches are bad enough)
I would not buy any car sight unseen, unless a very trusted knowledgable freind saw it for me.
Best of luck- Jolt

kevintari said:
Good opinions...here's another question: the car is 1500 miles away. how do you feel about buying one sight unseen?

I would never buy a used car sight unseen. I am sure you could ask a fellow board member in area to check it out for you. Where is the car located?

I would not buy sight unseen - if you can't travel, ask someone else to travel for you and take lots of pictures. Someone who has an eye for cars and detail of course.

IMO, corvettes are a dime a dozen (I have had 2, allbeit long ago) and even in the fairly car affluent area of California in which I live, I still only see 1 NSX a week, if I am lucky. Much more desireable, dependable, and responsive car. Quality, quality, quality. For me, the NSX.

I will concede that the C-5 is a lot of bang for the buck. But if I were to get another, C-6 would be the 'vette I would get.

I'm confused, the corvette is 1500 miles away? I could probably find 2 dozen for sale within a 10 mile radius of this small midwestern city. It probably isn't worth the trouble to travel that far for a corvette, NSX- maybe.

JimK said:
I'm confused, the corvette is 1500 miles away? I could probably find 2 dozen for sale within a 10 mile radius of this small midwestern city. It probably isn't worth the trouble to travel that far for a corvette, NSX- maybe.
He says "the car" is 1500 miles away. I would assume that he is referring to the NSX, not the Corvette...

nsxtasy said:
He was asking about an NSX or a Corvette. (And people here do NOT call the NSX an "X".)

I have found more and more people are calling the NSX "The X" lately. I actually kind of like it.

Back