Knocking in right rear end when accelerating

I purchased a 1992 NSX with 157k (161k now) last week and drove it cross country from California to Virginia. It was fine until I reached Indianapolis, Indiana. From there, I heard this slight knocking sound (like knocking a door) when I accelerate. It's noticeable in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Once cruising, there is no knocking. There is no knocking when I brake. At first I thought it was the muffler hitting against something but it's not. I looked underneath and did not see any leaks. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'll take a closer look into it this weekend.

I had a rear end knocking noise during accel and decel when I first bought my car. I never heard it during the test drive puchase but occurred after I drove it 1200 miles home. It turned our to be passenger inboard driveshaft joint and torn boot were dry. I've read that its common with old age and all the heat from the exhaust manifold and pipes above it.

^+1 CV joint would be my WAG too. Usually, a bearing/hub will make noise (or increase the noise level) when turning in one direction.

If you are a DIYer and a member of NSXCA, Iss 01 2012 of NSXDriver had a great article by Larry Bastanza on how to do a CV boot replacement.

Last edited:
I've been trying to trace down the source of the knock, but it mysteriously went away!

I looked underneath the car and the boots are fine (no tears and no leakage). I haven't done anything to the car but just let it sit for a couple of days. :confused:

Back