Just won auction for 91 BLK/BLK..Need Help! JH4NA1157MT000857

Just won auction for 91 BLK/BLK..Need Help!

Hi everyone! I am buying a 91 nsx with 52K and I need your opinion. What should I watch for? The owner said that the window switch is not working. Also, He's not sure if it's within the snap ring problem..beacause he never had any problem with the transmission since he owns it.

I'd really appreciate any input or any advise I just dont want to be surprise on cost of this repairs. . Thanks !!!

Last edited:
Re: Just won auction for 91 BLK/BLK..Need Help!

jagtiger said:
Is this a good deal? What should I watch for?

It doesn't matter; you already committed to buying it. Presumably you bid what you bid because you thought it was a good deal, and that's fine. Congratulations!

jagtiger said:
The owner said that the window switch is not working.

That's probably a failed window regulator, as noted in the Troubleshooting - Power Windows section of the FAQ. Expect to spend $400-500 for a new regulator, plus an hour or two labor.

Suggestion: Buy a Dali Racing window fix-it thingie. Make sure they open up the door on the other side of the car, and if it has an old-style regulator, have them install the fix-it thingie. It will prevent having to spend $500-650 a second time on the other side of the car.

jagtiger said:
He's not sure if it's within the snap ring problem..beacause he never had any problem with the transmission since he owns it.

Is he the original owner? That car almost certainly left the factory with a transmission below the snap ring range. Unless the transmission was replaced in the car's first few years, it should still be below the snap ring range. Expect the transmission serial number to be in the 1100's.

jagtiger said:
Also would like to know if anybody could recommend a auto financing for 1991 NSX most comapanies will not finance 1995 and below cars. Thanks !!!

Do a search; this has been discussed on the forums many times.

Re: Just won auction for 91 BLK/BLK..Need Help!

Also would like to know if anybody could recommend a auto financing for 1991 NSX most comapanies will not finance 1995 and below cars. Thanks !!! [/B]

PeopleFirst.com is an option if you have good credit.

Snap ring range

Ken is correct on the snap ring issue. My '91 #991 is not in the snap ring range. Since your VIN number is much lower than mine, it's unlikely that your soon to be NSX is in the snap ring range. It's best to check the tranny number to be absolutely sure.

Re: Snap ring range

Vytas said:
Ken is correct on the snap ring issue. My '91 #991 is not in the snap ring range.

Vytas, your tranny number is probably in the 001300s, right?

Figure on the water pump and timing belt service if there are no records of this - budget $1300 cost.
Hard to tell from the photos but if the body is good (no accident repair) then it looks like you got a great deal!
Keep us posted on the details.

Thanks for all your inputs!

:D

To all of you - I really apreciate your time helping me out on my first NSX purchase.
This is more like an adventure to me - Im really learning a lot of things from you guys and I cant wait to drive my soon to be NSX!

The good news is Vytas & NSXtasy is right....the seller just emailed me saying that the dealer had verified that it's not in snap ring range - Yes!!!
Also, the windows are working fine now - must be acting up?
The seller bougth the car at 48K and now it's 52-53k so I guess -
like T Bolen said It might be due for timing belt/water pump replacement...$1300... :(

Any other issues for 1991 NSX that I should know? Thanks Again

Re: Thanks for all your inputs!

jagtiger said:
Also, the windows are working fine now - must be acting up?
Any other issues for 1991 NSX that I should know? Thanks Again

I would still strongly recommend installing the fix-it thingies. It's an inexpensive fix to prevent an expensive problem.

I would also suggest replacing the cooling system hoses. This is a good preventive measure for a car of this age.

If u can't get records then I would do the equivalent of the 30k service which I had done on my 93 when I bought it recently---I also had some minor oil leaks repaired--only 1200 or so with some other odds & ends completed--at least have a good nsx tech go over it.....

Got my financing all set! YESSS!!!And I cant wait to drive it home.

Thanks for the advise. NSXTASY - I will definitely do the Dali racing thingie. Any instructions or "How to" do the install?

Jrehner - I would probably ask the seller if he can provide me with a service history if not I would definitely go with your advise and do a 30k maintenance.

Should I do a 30k or a 60k? Which do you think is more appropriate. The car has 52k...

Thanks Again!!!

jagtiger said:

Got my financing all set! YESSS!!!And I cant wait to drive it home...
Should I do a 30k or a 60k? Which do you think is more appropriate. The car has 52k...

Thanks Again!!!

Congrats on the purchase of your NSX. You're gonna love driving it every day.

As for the service necessary, well it seems obvious that since your mileage is closer to 60k that that's the one to do. Make sure you also replace the water pump with the belts. I'm sure you have already read everyting there is to know about the car in FAQ.

Enjoy your new ride and post some pictures.

Re: Re: Snap ring range

nsxtasy said:
Vytas, your tranny number is probably in the 001300s, right?

Update 7/21/03:
Tranny number is 1364 for my '91 #991.

Last edited:
jagtiger said:
NSXTASY - I will definitely do the Dali racing thingie. Any instructions or "How to" do the install?

They come with good instructions - and I think you can also download the instructions from the Dali Racing website.

jagtiger said:

The 60K is supposed to be done at 60K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. I would just do the 60K, not the 30K. (There isn't that much difference between the two anyway - just the plugs and the fuel filter, mostly.) I would also flush the coolant (this happens anyway if you're replacing the coolant system hoses anyway, as suggested above) - this is normally done at 45K, 75K, 105K, etc but if you don't know whether it has been done, it's a good idea.

& while door panel is off

While the door panel is off--not only the Dali Window Thingies but you can also clean and re-lube the tracks and if you are having any problem with fading speaker or popping speaker etc, that's also a good time to take out the speaker/amp unit to get it fixed---I have replace the speakers and so I will be doing all that myself shortly....

Thanks Jrehner!

How hard is it to take out the door panels? Any instruction available on the site? Thanks again;)

The only thing about the door panels to be careful about is that the chrome strip at the top DOES NOT come off with the door panel. If you force it, it will bend and you will need a new one. $60 at the discount Acura dealer. Ask me how I know :).........................LOL

Also the dash piece and the side parts on the door panels that are painted gun metal color are EXTREMELY fragile. I usually cover these parts with that blue painters tape BEFORE I even get the screwdriver out. You would not want to know the prices for those:(.

Congrats on the car. Also make sure you check the complete A/C climate control system, especially for a noisy compressor. I will assume for the moment it is blowing cold. You DO NOT want a compressor failure (siezed), a real PITA, and a common issue with early models.

HTH,
LarryB

Back