Just drove an NSX for the 1rst time!

yeah but the wheels fall right off of FDs!

hahahaha.

True story my friend bought a silver RX7 TT 75k miles drove it out of the car lot 10 miles, engine failed as did turbos.

I have always liked the interior of the car very sporty, also it is the only Japanese car to have won Lemans. The engine is actually based on German rotary/wankel technology which Mazda burrowed if I read correctly.

My philosophy in Sports cars is the engine should sit behind the driver not up front. IMO

I had a 93 RX7. LOVED it. Sold it with 12k miles in 2001.

hahahaha.

True story my friend bought a silver RX7 TT 75k miles drove it out of the car lot 10 miles, engine failed as did turbos.

I have always liked the interior of the car very sporty, also it is the only Japanese car to have won Lemans. The engine is actually based on German rotary/wankel technology which Mazda burrowed if I read correctly.

My philosophy in Sports cars is the engine should sit behind the driver not up front. IMO

Ur friend probably popped the engine and the apex seals flew right in the turbos.

Mazda is the ONLY jap car company to win the Le Mans. They used a normally aspirated 600+HP 2.6 liter engine. Sounds like a F1 car.

The late Enzo Ferrari prefers a front mid-engine car since it's easier to recover if u start to lose it. The Maranello was his last baby during his lifetime with that design.

Ur friend probably popped the engine and the apex seals flew right in the turbos.

Mazda is the ONLY jap car company to win the Le Mans. They used a normally aspirated 600+HP 2.6 liter engine. Sounds like a F1 car.

The late Enzo Ferrari prefers a front mid-engine car since it's easier to recover if u start to lose it. The Maranello was his last baby during his lifetime with that design.

Yeh the Apex seals must have gave. He traded his friend for JDM type R Integra, I am not sure if his friend was able to fix it. I thought they used the Standard 1.3 TT, bummer would be nice to see a 1.3 win Lemans I guess they knew better.

I know the 575 and Marenello was one of the best handeling cars like the original Testarrosa front engine, like wise M3 and RX7 handle well, however in the track mid-engine gives you lower center of gravity less polar enertia up front, and light steering.

I understand ur point on the rear mid-engine having less polar enertia up front.

However, the NSX is so darn light up front that I've come across understeering where the FD or S2k can flip around like a shark on it's victim.

Of course this may have something to do with the NSX having a longer wheel base.

Actually if dealers let you, go for it! SInce it seems like his dream car to come, I don't see why not if the option is available. What you know earlier always helps you in making a better decision in the furture, 'cuz in this world, no one will give a rats ass about you(Having said this doesn't mean go around stepping on less fortunate people just 'cuz you can). Dealers won't care if you end up buying a lemon, and neither will half the ppl you talk to, so take whatever necessary steps that is available to you to make a good choice for youself. I would love to test drive a Ferrari, but as we all know they don't allow it. I don't have any close friends that own one, so even 'til now, I don't know how they drive, resulting in me not owning one.
Glad you enjoyed it :) btw...i don't agree with you wasting the dealers time. I'm sure you went, due to a definite interest in this car. No one ever says a thought of purchase right after the test drive needs to result. You did the right thing to gain as much knowledge as you can, so now there is a car you may consider in the group of cars you are thinking to purchase.

I admire the guys enthusiasm for the NSX, but the part I didn't like was the redlining sequence........IMO, you just don't push it to 8000 RPMs if the car's not yours......My first time driving an NSX was also a test drive.....I putted around an empty Home Depot parking lot, then I pulled over and handed the owner my deposit.

Ok ok ok, now some of you guys really have problems. I was not going to continue with this but it seems that some people here (not everyone) think that they are the outright autorithies of the world, very displeasing.

Now, to sort things out! Saw a NSX for sale in a mag... from a used dealer. Call the guy up, tell him I might be interested but that I am looking for a newer NSX in real good condition ( say a 00+ with less than 40 000mi). This one he has is a 91 with 65 000mi. So he says well come down and take a look, cause he is the owner. So i say why not, I have never had the chance to drive an NSX and would love to before eventually buying one. And financially, I could afford this car, but I want one in better shape and newer, which I will be able to afford in a year or 2 (he was seeling it 39grand CAD and I want one worth around 60grand USD, so I have the money to buy this one, but I want a nicer one). Anyways, nice day, have a few hours off of work so I call him up, he says sure come take a look.

So I get there, real nice guy (so am I), he owns a Viper and loves cars. Shows me the car, i would give it maybe a 5.5 or 6 out of 10. So I am looking at it, he says c'mon lets go for a spin. I take it out, get used to it and warm it up for a good 5-6 miles. The guy is happy to be out cause it is such a nice day and things were slow. So after about 15minutes driving around very conservatively, he says get back on the highway and see what she's got. I'm like ok, so I get back on the highway 1rst, 2nd and 3rd I shift at around 7000 to 7300 rpm (I know I said redline but it was close enough, I'm not use to and 8k redline).

Anyways the car was in shitty shape but I am still impressed buy the NSX and will be buying one in better shape and newer, when the finances are right. I will not settle for a banged up one. I am being patient.

So you know it alls, you still have problems ??? Tell someone who cares, I thought I was finally joining a board where people are nice and respectful.

To the rest of you who have some brains and ego's that are not huge, I am happy to meet you and hope to chat about the NSX for years to come, and to come meet you all when I finally have my perfect NSX.

Cheers

As the title says, 91 5 speed for sale here (I am not ready to buy an NSX though and this one is not in good enough shape) but I wanted to drive one just to experience it. I have been on the board for a little while cause I love the NSX and will def. buy one within a year or 2. Anyways the drive was .... orgasmic!

Manage to get on the onrap in 1rst, I tap it almost to the redline in 1rst, 2nd and 3rd(by this time I'm going so fast so I slow down) but wow! the sound, the feeling in curves too.

I love it,

CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY NSX!:smile:

Ok Ok,but since you sound reasonable,tell me if you did'nt know you from Adam and read the above,what would you be thinking,,the same thing I was,and most of the other regulars thought.:wink: Of course now you explained in better detail what transpired,heck you got lucky,and had some fun.:smile:

You are joining a group of respectful and thought provoking individuals here on Prime and I'd say its one of the best forums around being car specific.

Like Docjohn just said we don't know you from Adam and your minute post about the details sounded like a pure joy ride to me anyway.

You've explained yourself now be prepared for others opinions...that's how it works on a forum.

Ok ok ok, now some of you guys really have problems. I was not going to continue with this but it seems that some people here (not everyone) think that they are the outright autorithies of the world, very displeasing.

Now, to sort things out! Saw a NSX for sale in a mag... from a used dealer. Call the guy up, tell him I might be interested but that I am looking for a newer NSX in real good condition ( say a 00+ with less than 40 000mi). This one he has is a 91 with 65 000mi. So he says well come down and take a look, cause he is the owner. So i say why not, I have never had the chance to drive an NSX and would love to before eventually buying one. And financially, I could afford this car, but I want one in better shape and newer, which I will be able to afford in a year or 2 (he was seeling it 39grand CAD and I want one worth around 60grand USD, so I have the money to buy this one, but I want a nicer one). Anyways, nice day, have a few hours off of work so I call him up, he says sure come take a look.

So I get there, real nice guy (so am I), he owns a Viper and loves cars. Shows me the car, i would give it maybe a 5.5 or 6 out of 10. So I am looking at it, he says c'mon lets go for a spin. I take it out, get used to it and warm it up for a good 5-6 miles. The guy is happy to be out cause it is such a nice day and things were slow. So after about 15minutes driving around very conservatively, he says get back on the highway and see what she's got. I'm like ok, so I get back on the highway 1rst, 2nd and 3rd I shift at around 7000 to 7300 rpm (I know I said redline but it was close enough, I'm not use to and 8k redline).

Anyways the car was in shitty shape but I am still impressed buy the NSX and will be buying one in better shape and newer, when the finances are right. I will not settle for a banged up one. I am being patient.

So you know it alls, you still have problems ??? Tell someone who cares, I thought I was finally joining a board where people are nice and respectful.

To the rest of you who have some brains and ego's that are not huge, I am happy to meet you and hope to chat about the NSX for years to come, and to come meet you all when I finally have my perfect NSX.

Cheers

It's all good Nray. Glad you enjoyed the ride. I sure did when we got the car 2weeks ago. It's so addicting. I have been putting away alot of my previous hobbies because of this new toy.
You will find the perfect NSX... don't just settle for any.:smile:

Good luck finding an NSX one day. I too test drove an NSX at a dealership a couple years before getting mine. That drive was one of the reasons I came back to this car instead of many others I drove. I remember the salesman saying "this is a high reving car, take it up by the redline". I previously redlined a Supra I owned and trashed it, so I never went over 6K in the NSX. Now I know what he meant and I take mine up to 8K regularly. Test drive all the dealership cars you want, just don't do this to cars privately owned.

Alright, I am glad that we have cleared that misunderstanding up. I will take part of the blame since I did not take the time to properly describe the parameters of the situation, but hey! I was too excited lol. No harm is done as you have now showed me that you are indeed respectful, mature and thoughtfull after all. It is a pleasure to be part of this community and I will be on these boards for a while, mind you I sometimes just don't have time to post due to time restraints because of my job.

Talk to you soon! In the meantime I'm dreaming 'bout my NSX, man A YEAR IS A LONG TIME, hahaha!

Mitch, I am in sales. I get paid on commission. Have been for the last 15 years. I know some people are out for a test drive. The thing is, even though they don't buy TODAY they might in the future.

That was my point exactly! I've bough cars I didn't set out with the intent to buy based on the drive.... I doubt those salespeople felt I wasted their time!

i'm just happy you wrote "an nsx", rather than "a nsx"....:cool:
good luck with your qwest.

faux...

Mazda is the ONLY jap car company to win the Le Mans.
Please refrain from using such an abbreviation or description in the future, it has a very negative and racist connotation to it. I'm quite sure that wasn't your intent, but such use is generally looked down upon - especially in the U.S.

i'm just happy you wrote "an nsx", rather than "a nsx"....:cool:
good luck with your qwest.

Not to hijack this thread, but "a NSX" is correct, at least according to Purdue University.

A or An?

Brought to you by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab

"A" goes before all words that begin with consonants.

* a cat
* a dog
* a purple onion
* a buffalo
* a big apple

with one exception: Use an before unsounded h.

* an honorable peace
* an honest error

"An" goes before all words that begin with vowels:

* an apricot
* an egg
* an Indian
* an orbit
* an uprising

with two exceptions: When u makes the same sound as the y in you, or o makes the same sound as w in won, then a is used.

* a union
* a united front
* a unicorn
* a used napkin
* a U.S. ship
* a one-legged man

Note: The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter. If the first letter makes a vowel-type sound, you use "an"; if the first letter would makes a consonant-type sound, you use "a." So, if you consider the rule from a phonetic perspective, there aren't any exceptions. Since the 'h' hasn't any phonetic representation, no audible sound, in the first exception, the sound that follows the article is a vowel; consequently, 'an' is used. In the second exception, the word-initial 'y' sound (unicorn) is actually a glide [j] phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring 'a'.

Not to hijack this thread, but "a NSX" is correct, at least according to Purdue University.
This is not correct. Not to hijack this thread some more, but as described in the "Note" you quoted: "The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter." They mislead the reader in the examples ("with one exception" and "with two exceptions"). They do a better job in the note: "if you consider the rule from a phonetic perspective, there aren't any exceptions."

NSX starts with "N" which is a vowel sound (en), so "an" is correct.

Previously discussed here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65998 ;)

Cheers

I need to take exception to some of your statements because I'm assuming I'm in the range of your finger pointing. First off, I didn't accuse you of being a joyrider...test driving a certain model of car to see if it's something you really might be interested in to buy in the future is fine w/ me. The thing is, the NSX is a really fast car.....the acceleration scenario you described sounds irresponsible (dangerous) and inconsiderate of the owner's property, no matter how much you sugarcoat it. If it was your first time driving a NSX, I'm surprised you would be so bold (even w/ the Owner's permission). My mindset is not protecting the seller, but rather mild astonishment that someone would really push it that hard on a test drive. Contrary to what you say, I don't claim to be an outright authority of the world, I was just felt like contributing my opinion to this thread. I'll stop w/ this....When you find your perfect NSX, let one of your buddies take it through the gears like you did and you sit there in the passenger seat and see if you like it......I'll leave this thread now, because I DO feel that you were sincerely enthusiastic in the first post and you just wanted to share that........

Back