Just bought an '05 TL

Another impulse purchase, but after being in the loaner for just one day I had to get one. Dammit Acura; Why do you have to make such great cars that I can't resist buying after I drive one! :smile:

So, what go-fast-crack mods do they make for the TL?

Congrats on that purchase!! I bought an '04 back in August.
I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. :biggrin:
As far as I know there aren't really any performance mods out for them except a cold air intake.
I plan on keeping mine completely stock.

DocL said:
Another impulse purchase, but after being in the loaner for just one day I had to get one. Dammit Acura; Why do you have to make such great cars that I can't resist buying after I drive one! :smile:

while I had my NSX in for service, I was loaned a 05 TL for 8 days. Very nice car indeed ! XM radio, Bluetooth, DVD Nav, heated seats, ... you get the idea. I even averaged 38 mpg on the highway :eek: My wife loved it so much she actually wanted us to buy one while picking up the NSX !!! That's the reason they do this !!! :rolleyes: In any case, I resisted as they were 2 things that turned me off, otherwise I would have probably given in too !

Congrats on your new purchase. It is trully a great car.

apapada said:
while I had my NSX in for service, I was loaned a 05 TL for 8 days. Very nice car indeed ! XM radio, Bluetooth, DVD Nav, heated seats, ... you get the idea. I even averaged 38 mpg on the highway :eek: My wife loved it so much she actually wanted us to buy one while picking up the NSX !!! That's the reason they do this !!! :rolleyes: In any case, I resisted as they were 2 things that turned me off, otherwise I would have probably given in too !

Congrats on your new purchase. It is trully a great car.

You got 38 mpg!! HOLY COW. I have gotten around 23-28 so far.
If you don't mind me asking, what are the 2 things that turned you off the car? Not trying to be a sales man or anything but just curious.

Armando,
That is a good one. :biggrin:

DocL said:

The only mods that I know of so far is the A-Spec kit that acura offers and if you havent seen the 6 speed manual ..that comes with a big brake kit as well. Acura-tl.com is a great TL board if you dont mind all the trolls.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
The only mods that I know of so far is the A-Spec kit that acura offers and if you havent seen the 6 speed manual ..that comes with a big brake kit as well. Acura-tl.com is a great TL board if you dont mind all the trolls.

A-spec kit is extremely expensive too though. :frown:
With the manual you get brembo brakes and a limited slip diff. :biggrin:
the TL board is pretty good I think. They do have a high share of trolls but for the most part everyone helps out when they can
my .02

DocL said:

Ha! I just checked this week on mods for that model. Try the Grandpa of American NSX parts suppliers...www.comptechusa.com.

They've got exhaust, headers, front Brembos, aaannnnnddd....supercharger. Though I don't think it's in the production stage yet. With the TL coming in 2nd overall at the 25 Heures du Thunderhill, I'm sure a lot of vendors are going to jump on the TL bandwagon.

Congrats on the TL, Doc!

I have to say that the new TL is such a beautiful and capable car. My friend just bought a IS300, and I almost slap her hand for making such poor choice.
Steve

I'm with 92NSX, my new TL is staying completely stock. Don't need to get anything started, cause I know where it doesn't end. Thanks for tempting me though, Shawn. :smile:

KGP said:
I'm with 92NSX, my new TL is staying completely stock. Don't need to get anything started, cause I know where it doesn't end. Thanks for tempting me though, Shawn. :smile:

Gene,

I think factor X is working on a twin turbo setup for your new TL :biggrin: .

Last edited:
I wonder just how many NSXers are also TLers?

I have 22.5k on my 04 6mt/Navi Anthracite/Ebony. An excellent daily driver, particularly with Blizzaks and nose-heavy FWD when the snow falls. If I can just keep visions of 2001 M5s out of my head, the TL should serve me well for another 50k or more.

KGP said:

C'mon Gene, exhaust and headers don't cost that much, have a marked performance improvement, and add a raspy "My big brother NSX will kick your pathetic butt" exhaust note.

Jeez, I haven't even bought one yet and I've got a full mod plan all laid out.

We have a 05 TL auto/navi.The car is great stock!Wonderful computer system and the voice recog is neat.Our only mods so to speak are a blizzak winter wheel-tire package,and a full front 3m clear bra.Ours is silver/black.BTW the clear bra is a proccess.It really is dependant on the shop and level of care to detail of the installer.I had to bring the car back twice to redo poorly fitting or cut pieces as well as trapped particles under the film :mad:

docjohn said:
We have a 05 TL auto/navi.The car is great stock!Wonderful computer system and the voice recog is neat.Our only mods so to speak are a blizzak winter wheel-tire package,and a full front 3m clear bra.Ours is silver/black.BTW the clear bra is a proccess.It really is dependant on the shop and level of care to detail of the installer.I had to bring the car back twice to redo poorly fitting or cut pieces as well as trapped particles under the film :mad:

Doc, when you say silver/black, do you mean a silver body with black mirrors and accents, kind of like cousin to the bee?? I know that you probably have the Recaro baby seat in place!!! Have a great Holidays!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

RPM217 said:
Doc, when you say silver/black, do you mean a silver body with black mirrors and accents, kind of like cousin to the bee?? I know that you probably have the Recaro baby seat in place!!! Have a great Holidays!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

He means Silver exterior and Black interior. Just like many people do on here.
BTW, I have the exact same setup. :biggrin:

Well I got home a few hours ago with TL and I love it. I picked the Anthracite/Gray. First thing to be done is indow tint and V-1 hardwire. I think I'm going to be getting a few ticktes with this car. :biggrin:

Doc, with that color combo, I'm thinking SSR Competitions in stock sizes with S0-3s. Think of the safety in being able to brake on a dime!

Shawn, quit spending other people's money! :biggrin:

92NSX said:
You got 38 mpg!! HOLY COW. I have gotten around 23-28 so far.

yep. Not being familiar with a new car, with a lot of rain, cops and works being done on the highway I was doing like 55-65 mph max while driving very relaxed. On my daily commute I averaged 26 mpg over the 5 days I used it to go to work (18 miles roundtrip on mixed highway/city).

92NSX said:
If you don't mind me asking, what are the 2 things that turned you off the car? Not trying to be a sales man or anything but just curious.
No problem asking... #1 IMHO the car has too much power for being a FWD, which results in too much torque steer with the OEM Bridgestone. #2 There were 2 rattles in the car (< 4000 miles) one from the ashtray which stopped when the ashtray was let open, the other one I could not determine (seemed to come from passenger side). Otherwise, the car was near perfect and a very nice ride for such a vehicle.

apapada,
I too have recently developed a little rattle on the passenger side. It sounds like the door trim panel to me. Will get it addressed when I bring it in for a couple of other warranty related issues.

Doc,
I too chose the auto. I thought it would be a nice change of pace to have one. Besides, if I need to row the boat(changes gears) I can drive one of my other cars.

92NSX said:
...Doc, I too chose the auto. I thought it would be a nice change of pace to have one. Besides, if I need to row the boat(changes gears) I can drive one of my other cars.

Yeah, it would have been a bit selfish for me to have three manual cars leaving the wife stuck with the only automatic. Plus, she said she'll take the TL when her lease is up in two years so I'll get to go car shopping again. :smile:

Back