Just bought a 95 NSX

I pulled the trigger on a '95 blk/blk with 103k miles at a dealer for $25k. The CARFAX showed lots of trips to the Acura dealer for maintenance items, and that it was a single owner car. I wasn't able to get maintenance records before the purchase, but I did buy the California Used Car Return deal for $250 where I could return the car within 2 days and just hand it back to them for my money back.

I got super lucky that the maintenance records showed timing belt, water pump, clutch, brakes, etc all performed within the last 20k miles. (which is what I figured with that many trips to the Acura dealer, but still a gamble)

I did physically look at the car before the purchase, and I figured that the price was right, even if a few items needed to be done (which they didn't), and I was right.

The point is, I really didn't realize how much of a gamble it was until after the fact. I glanced at the maintenance cost of normal items on this site before buying, but I didn't really add it all together if everything was needed all at once.

Sounds like you got a great deal!

Yea where does the Florida thing come from? the car fax say not one word of this,, and the miles are real Odd,, 1998 16,566 then 1999 28,976 and final of 65,171, its like it was jumping thru a time warp!! some was riding the hell outta it! but to buy a car blind is the worse thing to do!! and alot of these guys know its time to change the WP/TB and hoses,possible clutch/which is 1500 for the part alone,, and dont have the money to do so,, or dont wanna spend the money so before it breaks down they sell it off!! bad deal I think,,, what did you pay for it? 15,000 would be a deal,, plus the after cost,, so total out of your pocket will be 25,000 if your lucky,, good luck with that one!! my 2cents

Man, this is exactly why someone should research a used car before buying it. So he is selling the car after 30 days of owning it? WOW! Something doesn't add up.

He also lists the Timing Belt/Water Pump as parts that come with the car. He must have realized how much it would be to get it back to working condition now.

Last edited:
It continues to amaze me what state of mind these folks are in to buy a car like an NSX without doing their homework.....in this case appears none. This guy started this thread with a recorded 60 posts, ya think he'd have got the message from the prime crowd.

Now its in the for sale section. Looking at the picture, he probably bought it because it looked great and the dealer probably said to him "there is another buyer coming in later so you'd better grab it before I sell it to someone else".

Reading this thread, I do believe he went into repair $$$$hock. I'm not sure I should be posting in this tone......maybe just venting at something unbelievable.....

Yes, the problem now is he is advertising on the same site as the people he asked for advice. The fact that the TB/WP parts were bought but not installed says a lot. When I look at any NSX that is my first question, "when was the timing belt and water pump done? The second question, "How many maintenance records do you have?

I am pretty close to purchasing an NSX this month. I just need to fly out and take care of the paperwork and shipping. I find that looking for the NSX for a long time lets you see the good and bad before you select one to buy.

Does anyone know what he paid for the car? He is asking $35,000 for it. There is a slim chance someone will buy it with those deferred maintenance issues standing out. The car has low miles though. That is nice.

One thing about 95 and 96 nsx cars is they were the worst hp/lb ratio. They had the old NA1 engine with Targa roof supports that added weight. It isn't a good car to track.

Last edited:
Yes, the problem now is he is advertising on the same site as the people he asked for advice. The fact that the TB/WP parts were bought but not installed says a lot. When I look at any NSX that is my first question, "when was the timing belt and water pump done? The second question, "How many maintenance records do you have?

I am pretty close to purchasing an NSX this month. I just need to fly out and take care of the paperwork and shipping. I find that looking for the NSX for a long time lets you see the good and bad before you select one to buy.

Does anyone know what he paid for the car? He is asking $35,000 for it. There is a slim chance someone will buy it with those deferred maintenance issues standing out. The car has low miles though. That is nice.

One thing about 95 and 96 nsx cars is they were the worst hp/lb ratio. They had the old NA1 engine with Targa roof supports that added weight. It isn't a good car to track.

I purchased a 1996 back in July with 23,500 miles and is in cherry condition, records from new. Just needed the TB/WP done and set money aside for that. HP was not a priority, preferred a targa and did want to or see a need to pay extra $$$ for a 97 up with the 3.2 So I'm happy with what I've got, don't car about it being slowest. Whatever floats your boat huh!!

p.s. I hope he is advertising on other sites, maybe he is hoping for a unsuspecting newbie. I think your right, $35,000 is not a fire side sale price in todays market and with all the needs.

Yea where does the Florida thing come from? the car fax say not one word of this,, and the miles are real Odd,, 1998 16,566 then 1999 28,976 and final of 65,171, its like it was jumping thru a time warp!! some was riding the hell outta it! but to buy a car blind is the worse thing to do!! and alot of these guys know its time to change the WP/TB and hoses,possible clutch/which is 1500 for the part alone,, and dont have the money to do so,, or dont wanna spend the money so before it breaks down they sell it off!! bad deal I think,,, what did you pay for it? 15,000 would be a deal,, plus the after cost,, so total out of your pocket will be 25,000 if your lucky,, good luck with that one!! my 2cents

That mileage does not seam very out of whack to me. It was driven a lot when it was first purchased, 30k miles in the first 3 years. Then someone else got a hold of it and did not drive it much for the next 10 years. This is very common with toy cars. As for him picking it up for 15k???? Just because the timing belt is not done the car is worth half of the going rate? Come on, I think everyone is making way too big of a deal out of this. Guy buys a car, puts some Volks on it and decides it really is not for him. I am not sure there is a Sherlock Holms type mystery here.

does anyone know what he paid for it? I doubt he will say now that he is listing it for sale on this site. I highly doubt he paid $15k for it.

I purchased a 1996 back in July with 23,500 miles and is in cherry condition, records from new. Just needed the TB/WP done and set money aside for that. HP was not a priority, preferred a targa and did want to or see a need to pay extra $$$ for a 97 up with the 3.2 So I'm happy with what I've got, don't car about it being slowest. Whatever floats your boat huh!!

+1 :wink:

I too noticed the painted suspension.

The guy who bought this car works at a car dealership. Maybe he got a great deal on the car through an auction so he could have gotten it for $15k. Who knows. But what i think went wrong with this post and then selling it 30 days later is, that he posted on here acting like he was gonna keep it and use it as a DD when in fact he probably thought he could fix it back to "normal" and sell it for a profit. Can't hate the guy for trying to make money. But posting all the problems and issues that needed to be fixed out in the open then saying he babied the car and its unmolested....lol. If i was the OP i would have just bought the car and kept my mouth shut and used this site for "info" and then when everything was fixed then post in the for sale section.

Just my .02

Whenever you do major maintenance on the car you have to take the motor out and that alone cost big bucks.

:eek::eek: What are you talking about?:confused: It's a NSX not a Ferrari. You don't have to take the motor out.

Well maybe i am not as mechanically inclined as you are but if i had to do the TB/WP and change hoses and fluids i WOULD take the motor out.

Or maybe i am not as rich as you are and big bucks to me is anything over $1k in maintenance.

Well maybe i am not as mechanically inclined as you are but if i had to do the TB/WP and change hoses and fluids i WOULD take the motor out.

Or maybe i am not as rich as you are and big bucks to me is anything over $1k in maintenance.

Being mechanically inclined or wealthy has nothing to do with this. To do the timing belt, water pump, cam plugs, hoses, fluids, et al does not require dropping the engine in a NSX.

I too noticed the suspension being painted........well good luck on the sale..

On this idea of taking the motor out for a TB/WP/Hoses/cam plugs - and to Big Brown - maybe that's why you aren't an NSX mechanic.....or are you? If you are you must be hurtin cause no other good mechanic takes the motor out for this work - ask Larry B or Barney (barn man). How did we get to taking the motor out on this thread?

Seriously, I meant to respond last nite on this one- I noticed the suspension paint. I tell you the more you look at this thing from all angles the more something doesn't sound right or look right. I'd be really suspicous of this one. You know there are just too many of em out there to worry about one stupid wierd car like this one. I remember when the other guy bought this car and was wondering what to do with it - since he bought it sight unseen or depended on his dealer "buddy" to shoot him straight and now he wants to sell it. It may be nothing but I suspect there is some hidden crapola he found out about it - maybe accident history?????

Why would anyone paint the suspension parts like that? I would just steer clear - there are deals all over the place now. Batman said the other day that there are 338 NSXs for sale right now - man do you know what percentage of the whole US import total of NSXs that is??? You have your choice out there right now. Why would anyone waist their time on this one? Do some real homework on it or forget about it....my 2 cents. So let's add up all these 2 cents worth....lol.

Last edited:

The guy who bought this car works at a car dealership. Maybe he got a great deal on the car through an auction so he could have gotten it for $15k. Who knows. But what i think went wrong with this post and then selling it 30 days later is, that he posted on here acting like he was gonna keep it and use it as a DD when in fact he probably thought he could fix it back to "normal" and sell it for a profit. Can't hate the guy for trying to make money. But posting all the problems and issues that needed to be fixed out in the open then saying he babied the car and its unmolested....lol. If i was the OP i would have just bought the car and kept my mouth shut and used this site for "info" and then when everything was fixed then post in the for sale section.

Just my .02

I've been very curious about all this on this car, but no way he bought this car for 15k. He really never completely fixed it. He's got the TB and WP in a box - right- they're not put in - I'm telling you this cat found out something about this car and is stopping the bleeding and cutting his losses. I wouldn't even waist my time on this car. Far too many real good ones out there!

Last edited:

Just my .02

He did not pay 15k for the car. He paid a normal amount for a mid-mileage 1995, from what I understand. With the price of the car and mods he just put on he will not be making much if any money when selling it. Remember that asking price and selling price are two different things. As for the painted suspension, that is odd and would require a closer look by anyone looking to buy.

He did not pay 15k for the car. He paid a normal amount for a mid-mileage 1995, from what I understand. With the price of the car and mods he just put on he will not be making much if any money when selling it. Remember that asking price and selling price are two different things. As for the painted suspension, that is odd and would require a closer look by anyone looking to buy.

Amen!!! At least!:rolleyes:

Congratulations, Mike, and I hope the purchase turns out well for you. I bought an NSX sight unseen from a dealer without a PPI, but I had a sixty day warranty that covered everything. After the car was delivered, I had a local NSX mechanic inspect it. He said the car was in great shape. I had to have the rear tail light gaskets replaced ($400), which the dealer paid for. I've only had the car a few months but its been great so far.

Congratulations, Mike, and I hope the purchase turns out well for you. I bought an NSX sight unseen from a dealer without a PPI, but I had a sixty day warranty that covered everything. After the car was delivered, I had a local NSX mechanic inspect it. He said the car was in great shape. I had to have the rear tail light gaskets replaced ($400), which the dealer paid for. I've only had the car a few months but its been great so far.

You must be a risk taker or one lucky dude....

Hi guys! Im Mike, and im new to the forum

Anyhow I bought a 95 Blk/Blk 5-speed NSX with 65k miles on it! I have not seen it yet, but I will have it by Thursday. Anyone know some things I should check for? Any information is appriciated!

VIN
JH4NA1187ST000526

I can't believe you bought it like that sight unseen, without a PPI! You know that a clean carfax essentially means nothing, they have a really weak accident database when compared with autocheck. I've seen autocheck point out frame damage and carfax just shows that it checks out perfectly, so beware. I've also noticed that A LOT of used cars have been in some sort of accident, even if it was minor. I ran an autocheck report on that VIN and it came out with an excellent index score with consistent history. I hope the paintwork is good on it. Well I hope it all works out but be careful next time! Clutch and TB/WP will probably run you at least $3k together but at least you'll know the major maintenance is done for awhile.

Back