Just bought a 95 NSX

How much did you pay for it?

The price of his "fingers crossed." I'm getting my popcorn and bracing for impact.

How can anyone purchase a car, sight unseen, without an independent 3rd party involved?

Judging from the photos, the car's missing tow hook, front chin, rusted bolts along the fender lining, painted center cap and painted brake calipers; Tells a story about the past history/or owners.

^Consecutive title registrations can be dealership trades or auction buys/sells.

OP should have started this thread BEFORE the car purchase. Whatever we say now, is rather moot.

Congrats and Welcome! :smile: Read up on the owners manual and the wiki has great info. I would add a valve adjustment to your list.

The water Pump+Timing belt is $396 at partsformyacura.com . $4,600 in labor seems a bit much. Im not trying to argue about it, but come on now.
There are 22 coolant hoses to be replaced. Hopefully the clutch is up to par. Thats another 3 grand P&L. Most sevice is done over a period of time but if neglated by the owner it can fall hard on the current owner. Hopefully this is not the case. Car does look clean form pics. Hopefully the owner/s were meticulous. Save yourself some headache, replace the main relay {$60}.

If you need hoses (or other parts) you have a few options. You can go to your local Acura Dealership and purchase them. You can go the easy route and purchase the hose kit from Dali Racing. There are a few other places to source parts on the internet too including HERE or HERE. Or you can call an Acura Dealer that deals with a lot of NSXs such a Findlay Acura in Las Vegas or Ray Laks Acura in NY.

Good luck, hope this helps, you will definitely enjoy the car.

Use NSXPrime as it and its members are a great resource for all things NSX.

WOW thanks man. Ya I will try to order everything at once. This site is awesome! :smile:

The price of his "fingers crossed." I'm getting my popcorn and bracing for impact.

How can anyone purchase a car, sight unseen, without an independent 3rd party involved?

Judging from the photos, the car's missing tow hook, front chin, rusted bolts along the fender lining, painted center cap and painted brake calipers; Tells a story about the past history/or owners.

^Consecutive title registrations can be dealership trades or auction buys/sells.

OP should have started this thread BEFORE the car purchase. Whatever we say now, is rather moot.

I own a bodyshop, and I know the guy I bought the car from. His son in law had it down in Miami for the past few years. If it needs some work to make right. I can deal with it. Im just trying to figure out the typical issues that these cars run into. You guys really mke them out to be nighmares at times. The car only has 65k miles. My buddys has 120k on it, and it was boosted...

There are 22 coolant hoses to be replaced. Hopefully the clutch is up to par. Thats another 3 grand P&L. Most sevice is done over a period of time but if neglated by the owner it can fall hard on the current owner. Hopefully this is not the case. Car does look clean form pics. Hopefully the owner/s were meticulous. Save yourself some headache, replace the main relay {$60}.

Can you show me what main relay you speak of?

WOW thanks man. Ya I will try to order everything at once. This site is awesome! :smile:
Please do a little research on each of those vendors before you order. Some vendors seem to be less reliable than others.

If you do a forum search on the vendor names you should get enough info to make an informed decision.

Please do a little research on each of those vendors before you order. Some vendors seem to be less reliable than others.

If you do a forum search on the vendor names you should get enough info to make an informed decision.

I would really like to get everything from one place, for a great package deal. Im just waiting to see the car so I know everything I will need.

It's not really a nightmare at all - just a process. These cars are Hondas and as such will run great with minimal effort and just mostly routine maintenance.

Now that you've kind of explained where you are coming from it's a little easier to talk with you. Now we know you know something about the guy that sold it and where it's been - so you should be able to get records. I would highly recommend it. Also it sounds like you got a great deal on the car and that in itself puts you way down the road, that and having a body shop of your own. Now we know you are not just a totally inexperienced goober that bought an NSX out of the blue that knows nothing about sports car ownership. We can all relax a bit now for you.

With all that said there are just a few things you need to be mindful of on the car. 65k miles isn't much on these cars. They will run forever basically. When I bought my 91 it had deffered maintenance too. In some ways I maybe should have walked away from the deal because now I have more in the car than I believe it's worth but it's in super great shape and I had one of the best NSX mechanics in the US working on it. He did me right on the price too. The TB/WP/hoses/fluids done by a good mechanic shouldn't cost you over 1500 to 2000. If you take it to a dealer then you'll get pounded most likely and there is no garrauntee they know what they're doing. My clutch was replaced by a "dealer" and the guy put in the wrong grease and it was stiff and didn't feel right. I had it replaced and that was a semi surprise to me and it also cost 2400 to replace that and the flywheel, master and slave, etc., which I would recommend you doing if you need a clutch - do it all at the same time. You really can't resurface any of the flywheels.

So good luck and keep us all posted when you get the car and let us know what your impressions are.

This maybe a shamless plug but if you want a reliable dealer I would reccommend Findlay Acura in las Vegas. They have been awesome to me and have a great track record with many prime members. Tell them big brown sent ya maybe it might help a little. Lol who knows you know "what can brown do for you". Just trying to help and hopefully everything works out.

This maybe a shamless plug but if you want a reliable dealer I would reccommend Findlay Acura in las Vegas. They have been awesome to me and have a great track record with many prime members. Tell them big brown sent ya maybe it might help a little. Lol who knows you know "what can brown do for you". Just trying to help and hopefully everything works out.

Does it really matter what vendor I get it from? I would just go for the best price. All the parts are just OEM i take it

It does not matter which vendor you go with. However, like you said price is the major issue. I would call Ray at Findlay acura 702-982-4162 i am almost sure he can beat any price out there. If not then atleast you know u tried. 15 minutes with Findlay Acura could save u 15% or more on car parts!!!!!!

It does not matter which vendor you go with. However, like you said price is the major issue. I would call Ray at Findlay acura 702-982-4162 i am almost sure he can beat any price out there. If not then atleast you know u tried. 15 minutes with Findlay Acura could save u 15% or more on car parts!!!!!!

Thanks man!! He quoted me $530 for everything I need

My name is Don and I too just purchased a 1996 NSX Blk / Blk and am new to this forum and live in NJ. I found Acura NA customer service very helpful with past service history on mine. Their number is (800) 382-2238.

Good luck with it. I just picked mine up on Monday!

Don

Hey, this is Don again. I just realized that this is the same car that I test drove a month ago from a dealer Magna Motors in Perth Amboy, NJ. The VIN's match! At that time, the entire dash was torn apart and the owner told me that he was having the A/C repaired. He told me that his son-in-law was using it in FL for a few years. The power antenna did not work completely, otherwise it drove well.

Good luck with it! Where are you located?

Don

I pulled the trigger on a '95 blk/blk with 103k miles at a dealer for $25k. The CARFAX showed lots of trips to the Acura dealer for maintenance items, and that it was a single owner car. I wasn't able to get maintenance records before the purchase, but I did buy the California Used Car Return deal for $250 where I could return the car within 2 days and just hand it back to them for my money back.

I got super lucky that the maintenance records showed timing belt, water pump, clutch, brakes, etc all performed within the last 20k miles. (which is what I figured with that many trips to the Acura dealer, but still a gamble)

I did physically look at the car before the purchase, and I figured that the price was right, even if a few items needed to be done (which they didn't), and I was right.

The point is, I really didn't realize how much of a gamble it was until after the fact. I glanced at the maintenance cost of normal items on this site before buying, but I didn't really add it all together if everything was needed all at once.

Also is there Do-It-Yourself's on timing belt, Water pump, and hoses?

If you go to this website they have a usable PDF Service Manual for a 1991 (pages are in order, it is one book, tabbed and indexed, etc). It will give you a rough idea on how to DIY maintenance.

You have to register (for free) at the site to be able to download.

Hey, this is Don again. I just realized that this is the same car that I test drove a month ago from a dealer Magna Motors in Perth Amboy, NJ. The VIN's match! At that time, the entire dash was torn apart and the owner told me that he was having the A/C repaired. He told me that his son-in-law was using it in FL for a few years. The power antenna did not work completely, otherwise it drove well.

Good luck with it! Where are you located?

Don

Yup thats her. He got the climate control fixed up. Im going to have to tackle the radio myself. Is the stock stereo any good in these cars?

Thanks Don, Im from Pittsburgh, PA

Back