Just bought a 95 NSX

Hi guys! Im Mike, and im new to the forum

Anyhow I bought a 95 Blk/Blk 5-speed NSX with 65k miles on it! I have not seen it yet, but I will have it by Thursday. Anyone know some things I should check for? Any information is appriciated!

VIN
JH4NA1187ST000526

1995nsxtblack011.jpg

1995nsxtblack012.jpg

1995nsxtblack013.jpg

1995nsxtblack014.jpg

1995nsxtblack015.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys! I am new to the forum, and wow was it hard to register! I don't know square roots, LOL.

Anyhow I bought a 95 Blk/Blk 5-speed NSX with 65k miles on it! I have not seen it yet, but I will have it by Thursday. Anyone know some things I should check for? Any information is appreciated!

Welcome! :biggrin: Congrats on the purchase?

Did you buy sight unseen? Did you get a PPI? The reason I ask is that the "things to check for" are usually done BEFORE a purchase :rolleyes:

But I would look for maintenance history. If you have no idea Id start with a small list that looks like:

Fluids
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Coolant Hoses

Also, if you do some searching (or even looking around) on this sight you will find a wealth of knowledge. Check out the Wiki too.

Congrats and welcome!

Did u get a PPI done? Or ran a car fax?

Exterior looks clean besides the front lip and center cap missing.
Also the calipers seem to be painted by previous owner?

Carfax is clean, but no PPI done. Seller told me the front bumper, and fender where painted.

Welcome! :biggrin: Congrats on the purchase?

Did you buy sight unseen? Did you get a PPI? The reason I ask is that the "things to check for" are usually done BEFORE a purchase :rolleyes:

But I would look for maintenance history. If you have no idea Id start with a small list that looks like:

Fluids
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Coolant Hoses

Also, if you do some searching (or even looking around) on this sight you will find a wealth of knowledge. Check out the Wiki too.

Ya all this stuff was checked by the seller :confused:, but he seems very straight up, and I got a great deal. Im crossing my fingers

Are you getting any service records? How's the clutch? You've really kind of gone into this leading with your chin.:eek:

Without service records from Previous Owners and a Used Car salesman as your only referrence point you have let yourself in for a potential plethora of what is called "deffered maintenance". You see for these and any cars really the devil is in the service history. Without any you are basically going to need to run it past a "good" NSX mechanic. Where do you live? There are good ones around the country - we can help you find one. Just because this is a Honda doesn't mean it doesn't need anymore maintenance than an accord you'd pick up like this, however, you probably could drive it across the country without disastrous effects.

If you can get the records from the guy that traded it in or something....:rolleyes: Anyway, like everyone's said, usually you do the Pre Purchase Inspection before you buy the car unless you have a lot of trust in this salesman.

So like someone said here Timing Belt, Water Pump is a service that is usually done together and has to be done on a time as well as mileage frequency. You are over the time for the TB/WP and then there are the hoses that will need replacement as well and there are at least 13 very important ones of the 21 total if you have a manual tranny that also need to be replaced. You may need the two hoses from the oil cooler too - I did and mine is a 91 that only had 42k miles on it, which I just bought a few months ago and I got it back from my mechanic after about a months worth of work he had to do to get it up to snuff from the same kind of "deffered maintenance" we're all telling you about and mine had the TB/WP/clutch already done once. So you'll have to drive it to determine other issues that might spring up but I would not be surprised if it needed a clutch and that costs about 2400 including master and slave cylinder replacement and flywheel, which all have to be done together. I spent about 5 grand getting mine in shape with stuff one of the best NSX mechanics in the US told me it needed. I wasn't expecting a clutch either, but you might be able to shave 3 grand off your list if the clutch doesn't need replacing. So Timing Belt/Water pump/hoses/fluids/valve adjustment/brake bleeding/ is all around 2400 too. So get ready to start slapping more leather if you don't know if any of this has been done and there are no records and no way of getting any.

Oh, and welcome to NSX Prime - we'll help you out as much as we can! :confused::eek::smile: you'll be smiling after you get over the shock and start driving one of the most awesome machines available!

Ya all this stuff was checked by the seller :confused:, but he seems very straight up, and I got a great deal. Im crossing my fingers

Considering there are no plates on that NSX nor on any of the other cars in the photos it would appear that this is a used car dealer so I would question his forthrightness when it comes to claiming that the maintenance is up to date. I also has some suspicions when anyone gets a "great deal" from a used car dealer not specializing in this type of car when the car is purchased sight unseen.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can I ask if you have ever bought a used car before? Ever owned a semi-exotic?

Last edited:
Heres my best advice. Listen to these guys above me^^^^^^^^^^.

Trust me I am..

This is what the carfax states:

<TABLE id=recordTable1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 done1="40" done0="40"><TBODY done1="40" done0="40"><TR class=evenrow id=record1><TD vAlign=top>12/05/1995 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Atlanta, GA
Title #91132843 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Title or registration issued
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow id=record2><TD vAlign=top>02/06/1996 </TD><TD class=mileage>353 </TD><TD vAlign=top>North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fuquay Varina, NC
Title #1610840185 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported </TD></TR><TR class=evenrow id=record3><TD vAlign=top>02/15/1997 </TD><TD class=mileage>3,157 </TD><TD vAlign=top>North Carolina
Inspection Station
Cary, NC </TD><TD vAlign=top>Passed emissions inspection </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow id=record4><TD vAlign=top>02/18/1998 </TD><TD class=mileage>13,924 </TD><TD vAlign=top>North Carolina
Inspection Station
Raleigh, NC </TD><TD vAlign=top>Passed emissions inspection </TD></TR><TR class=evenrow id=record5><TD vAlign=top>04/02/1998 </TD><TD class=mileage>16,051 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cleveland, OH
Title #1802628894 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Title issued or updated </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow id=record6 done1="40" done0="40"><TD vAlign=top>05/19/1998 </TD><TD class=mileage>16,398 </TD><TD vAlign=top>New York
New York City Area
Inspection Station </TD><TD vAlign=top done1="40" done0="40">Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection View what was inspected
</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow id=record7><TD vAlign=top>07/22/1998 </TD><TD class=mileage>16,566 </TD><TD vAlign=top>New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Deal, NJ </TD><TD vAlign=top>Title issued or updated </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow id=record8 done1="41" done0="41"><TD vAlign=top>10/20/1999 </TD><TD class=mileage>28,976 </TD><TD vAlign=top done1="41" done0="41">Warrantech Automotive, Inc.
Deal, NJ
www.warrantech.com 800-833-8801
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Service contract issued </TD></TR><TR class=evenrow id=record9 done1="42" done0="42"><TD vAlign=top>06/05/2001 </TD><TD class=mileage> </TD><TD vAlign=top done1="42" done0="42">Warrantech Automotive, Inc.
www.warrantech.com 800-833-8801
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Service contract claim
Vehicle serviced
Electrical sys. serviced </TD></TR><TR class=oddrow id=record10><TD vAlign=top>09/08/2009 </TD><TD class=mileage>65,171 </TD><TD vAlign=top>Open Road Acura of East Brunswick
East Brunswick, NJ
732-839-4200
www.openroad.com </TD><TD vAlign=top>Maintenance inspection </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How can i tell if the timing belt, hoses, and water pump have been done without records?

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can I ask if you have ever bought a used car before? Ever owned a semi-exotic?

Many :biggrin: where do I start.

I know the dealer selling the car. He has never sold me anything bad. I am trying to see if he can dig up some records for me as well. It was a FL car he got in trade off a guy he knows.

I would just get everything done when you pick the car up. I am sure someone on Prime can lead you in the right direction on a good NSX mechanic in your area. Get all the fluids changed and TB/WP done before driving the car. I know it may seen crazy not being able to drive the car right after you bought it but it may save you alot of money in the long run......

I know the dealer selling the car. He has never sold me anything bad. I am trying to see if he can dig up some records for me as well. It was a FL car he got in trade off a guy he knows.

Find all you can. This items I listed above are $5k+ to complete.

Factor this into the "great deal" you got.

Don't take this the wrong way. We all want you to be a great happy owner. We don't want to read the new thread called "I got screwed". :wink:

I would just get everything done when you pick the car up. I am sure someone on Prime can lead you in the right direction on a good NSX mechanic in your area. Get all the fluids changed and TB/WP done before driving the car. I know it may seen crazy not being able to drive the car right after you bought it but it may save you alot of money in the long run......

Might be great advise. I live in Pittsburgh, PA

Find all you can. This items I listed above are $5k+ to complete.

Factor this into the "great deal" you got.

Don't take this the wrong way. We all want you to be a great happy owner. We don't want to read the new thread called "I got screwed". :wink:

$5k to do hoses, timing belt, and water pump!! You have to be kidding! You need to get a better priced mechanic!

$5k to do hoses, timing belt, and water pump!! You have to be kidding! You need to get a better priced mechanic!

Enjoy your car. Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:

From what I am seeing, it was a Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio, New York and then New Jersey car as recently as last month. Curiously, that car was registered in NC, Ohio, NY and NJ all over the course of just 5 months in 1998.

Where does the Florida part come in?

Last edited:

Actually he is not that far off. Maybe at the dealership it cost close to $5k. but when i bought my NSX it cost a little over $3k to get all that done. Whenever you do major maintenance on the car you have to take the motor out and that alone cost big bucks.

Like someone else said with that great deal you just got you should have extra money left over to fix the car properly and enjoy the vehicle with a clear piece of mind.....

Actually he is not that far off. Maybe at the dealership it cost close to $5k. but when i bought my NSX it cost a little over $3k to get all that done. Whenever you do major maintenance on the car you have to take the motor out and that alone cost big bucks.

Like someone else said with that great deal you just got you should have extra money left over to fix the car properly and enjoy the vehicle with a clear piece of mind.....

I will def make sure everything is squared away.

So at 65k miles it should have:
Timing belt
Fluids
Water Pump
Hoses

gone over.. Thanks guys. I will get her all checked out.

If you need hoses (or other parts) you have a few options. You can go to your local Acura Dealership and purchase them. You can go the easy route and purchase the hose kit from Dali Racing. There are a few other places to source parts on the internet too including HERE or HERE. Or you can call an Acura Dealer that deals with a lot of NSXs such a Findlay Acura in Las Vegas or Ray Laks Acura in NY.

Good luck, hope this helps, you will definitely enjoy the car.

Use NSXPrime as it and its members are a great resource for all things NSX.

How much did you pay for it?

Back