• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is your driving being secretly tracked by your phone apps for insurance companies?

Recent discussion on NC's providing data to insurance companies thru LexisNexus, but it may be much worse...

It appears that a number of common apps are funded by collecting driving data for insurance companies. Anyone else using Gas Buddy before this article came out?

I feel like I need to review every app on my phone, although I wonder if even that will help, as I think Google's Location services switch now only turns off access for non-Google apps. I suspect Google is still collecting all this location data for themselves anyway and may well decide to start selling it.

The problem is that this secret data collection sometimes lacks context, like service personnel testing your car. I once used one voluntarily to reduce my insurance rates, but I had to start over several times because it kept tagging me for frequent speeding while cycling because the ap assigned a limit of 20 kph to bike lanes, when the actual limit is 50 kph for bike lanes adjacent to regular roads. I guess I'm lucky they didn't tag me for driving on a bike path. Once I left my phone at home while cycling, I had no difficulty achieving 100% score for 3 months to qualify for 25% savings, well worth it to me. But the ap comments suggested that many folks were unable to drive to the goals, "To get high scores, you have to be looking ahead, anticipating traffic patterns and stop lights!" - Well, yes. (It also dinged you for texting while driving, unsurprisingly, so don't have a friend answer texts for you while you're driving if the app is active, but secret data collection probably can't differentiate.)

Last edited:
Back in the day, you had to plug in an OBD2 dongle so that you could get the discount from the insurance company. I thought that was a better way of doing it than tracking me on the phone for all the reasons OP stated.

There are a few lawsuits out there concerning dealers turning on tracking data by default when you buy a new car that has telematics (e.g., Onstar). Unknown to the driver, the telematics company sold driving data to insurance adjusters, causing the driver's insurance to skyrocket.

I dislike the direction new cars are going. All I want is a fairly light weight new manual car that won't tin can in a crash. Keep that self-driving, driver awareness, touch capacitive buttons, and most infotainment stuff away from me.

Get off my lawn.

Back