Is this normal? 20% of rotors not wearing

Off topic, just curious as to what color you powder coated them to... Didn't like the factory bronze?

go to the last page and you can see the back

my3asu7e.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368632912.582886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368632912.582886.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I was actually the one who purchased the brakes from Dave....I never opened the box nor did anything in between besides storing it in my house. I then sold it to Vince, when I brought it over and I opened up the box with Vince , it was packaged very nicely and secure. I do feel for Vince, I hope he figures out what the problem is.

I don't think this has anything to do with rotor refinishing or calliper spread or who sold what or who tracked what.
I would suggest it's math and measurement

Measure the rotor diameter to make sure it's correct for the bracket that's installed.
A 97+ bracket on 91 rotors would look just like what you've got.
If the rotor is correct then remove a calliper and check that the correct brake shoes are correctly installed in the calliper.
The brake pads may be too narrow or are too far away from the rotor centerline.

No point wasting time on tis taints.
Get out the digtal micrometer and determine the problem.
The solution will be easy after that

No, daves parts are all correct. I think I have discovered the issue. I believe it has to do with the rotors not being cut correctly. The is a really and I mean really fine lip on the inside of the rotor near the hub, a high spot if you will. Its micro sized but it seems the cut did not got down enough and its lifting the pad at the bottom. You can feel the lip on the rotor and you can see on the very edge of the pad where that lip is digging a grove. it would make perfect sense that its lifting the pad and causing it not to touch all the way, thus the grove in the pad. Just ordered new rotors from SOS but I think that's the issue. Thanks for the help and sorry if I upset anyone

I don't see how after 150 miles. They will wear down flat. However I just spoke to R1 and they said they only slotted them and didn't cut em. I don't know we'll see what happens Friday. Going to sand the pads and put them on the new powerslots and see what happens after the weekend

No, daves parts are all correct. I think I have discovered the issue. I believe it has to do with the rotors not being cut correctly. The is a really and I mean really fine lip on the inside of the rotor near the hub, a high spot if you will. Its micro sized but it seems the cut did not got down enough and its lifting the pad at the bottom. You can feel the lip on the rotor and you can see on the very edge of the pad where that lip is digging a grove. it would make perfect sense that its lifting the pad and causing it not to touch all the way, thus the grove in the pad. Just ordered new rotors from SOS but I think that's the issue. Thanks for the help and sorry if I upset anyone

If the ridge is only on the inside of the rotor wouldn't the outside pad still sit on the outside rotor surface correctly?
If there is a ridge on both sides of the rotor then perhaps that might explain why the pads on both sides are not sitting correctly.
Did you remove the wheel and calliper to check the rotor finish?
Were the rotors the correct diameter?

The ridge is on both sides of the rotor. On the inside, I mean closest to the hub. If you look at the pics of the pad you can see where the front edge closest to the hub has a cut out from where it was riding the high spot, causing it to lift at the inside of the braking surface

zunujery.jpg

adubyje9.jpg

Last edited:
Jdm Check your private messages.

The ridge is on both sides of the rotor. On the inside, I mean closest to the hub. If you look at the pics of the pad you can see where the front edge closest to the hub has a cut out from where it was riding the high spot, causing it to lift at the inside of the braking surface
Okay by inside of the rotor you mean ridges on both sides that hit the brake pad at the very bottom edge?
You also mentioned you had the rotors turned but then found out they were not turned?

A ridge at the very bottom edge suggests your brake pads are meeting the rotor closer to the hub center than the previous pads and so are riding on the wear ridge left by the old pads.
There is also a normal wear ridge on the outside edge of the rotors where the pads don't quite reach the outer edge of the rotor.
This wear ridge should be causing the outer edge of your brake pads to be held off the top of the rotor just like you suggest the inner rotor wear ridge is doing to your pads.
In other words your brake pads should only be touching the rotor on the two wear ridges.

However your pictures show the outer wear ridge to be worn off (or perhaps taken off by the rotor groover) so something doesn't make sense.

Perhaps when you get to the bottom of your problem you can share what you've learned.
A few of us have spent a bit of time trying to help.

Meantime suggest an apology to Dave is appropriate as he got painted as a villain before the problem was even beginning to be understood.

Last edited:
No one painted Dave as a villain, at least I didn't.

So with a little help from Joe it seems the outcome is that the calipers are warped from track use and pretty much junked. Between the brakes and powder coating, almost 2k down the crapper and still need brakes. Bummed [unquote]

I beg to differ. The above quote from you suggests Dave sold defective callipers, which is not the case.
Before you make statements like the above you need to be sure you are correct, which in this case you are not.
In my mind it's time to admit you jumped the gun, but suit yourself, just don't besmirch another's reputation.

If the calipers were bent then yes I would have "junked" them. However, you should read all the post...."Dave, like I said not calling anyone out and to be honest, with out installing new rotors and pads to inspect you would have never known"
''Again, not trying to say anyone fuc#ed me, just looking to get it resolved.'' Never did I say this is Daves fault. Was I wrong about the issue, maybe but did I point a finger?? Nope

Last edited:
note to self..don't have anyone cut grooves into oem rotors.You are the first owner I have seen do this....I too felt like you were implying blame on track use..which was a direct referral to Dave ...

Indeed I was blaming the possibility of spread calipers on track use. What else could cause that?? But again, I did say that if that was the case I'm sure Dave didn't know about it. That's why I didn't blame Dave. How ever you decide to take what I said, that's not what I meant

I called jdmdohcpower and offered him a set of brand new slotted DBA rotors I had at almost 1/2 of retail price to help with the situation. A situation where I did nothing wrong, and the company that turned the rotors screwed them up. And mind you there was another buyer between us. And I sold my brakes to him rather cheap.

I'm glad it's resolved, I just wish that my word and knowledge of calipers carried as much weight at some guy that works at Acura and decides to say my calipers are "spread" because he's seen it happen to their "track car". It's a complete misdiagnosis and lack of understanding. My car was never a dedicated track car doing wheel to wheel racing. What my car has seen on the track is probably less than what many NSX's have seen on the street. JDM you have to understand my position here, and see how you'd feel if someone said to you "nope, your calipers are junk from your track use". It wouldn't make you feel good either. Honestly I was so confident in my brakes that I would have just bought them back had they not been painted blue and slotted. Saying my calipers were junk does still put a dark spot on my reputation on the forum, even if you say I may not have ever known. Trust me if my calipers were damaged I would have known.

Anyway glad it's getting resolved. I guess we can all just move on. Thanks to all the guys that tried to help with the situation.

I'm sorry for my choice of words. I guess it was said out of frustration. Thanks again for the help

I'm sorry for my choice of words. I guess it was said out of frustration. Thanks again for the help

No problem man, it's all good. Let us know how it all works out.

So what was the outcome of putting in the new Powerslots?

Back