Is it worth it to ship a car across the states or drive it?

it would be great to drive it home but there are potential that the might break down. the current owner might of not taken care of the car as expected and delayed some of the maintenance. i say ship it home first and see for yourself how the car runs within your possession and then when you want to take it for a long drive you'll feel safer.

cost:

unclosed trailer - $1,000-$1,500
enclosed trailer - $2,000-$2,500

it cost that much? I thought it would coast half of that.

enkrypt3d - did you ask the owner why he is selling the car so soon. I noticed it had VA temp tags on it (the ones you get when you title a vehicle)... the kind of tags the DMV would give you until you get the permanents.

I bought my second NSX in Pa and drove 1850 miles to San Antonio, Texas. Fun but long drive. My third NSX I bought this weekend in Vail Co and trailered it home with a U-haul car trailer. It cost 450 for a one way move and 49 per day for local, so I rented in San Antonio took it there to pick up the car and towed it home. Total cost was $150 for the trailer. Then one hotel night and lots of gas for the landcruiser. Towing through the rockies was rough. This car was a garage Queen and I wanted to avoid getting on the salt roads. I would always go in person to pick up a car

Smart move!! The salt and crap on the roads around here is REALLY bad this winter. You probably drove right through Trinidad on your way. Sorry Colorado lost another NSX, but glad it went to a good home. Take care.

Yea he's only had it for 3-4 months.... he said he's selling it because he's never home enough to enjoy it... he is always out of town. He's going out of town again on wednesday until the end of the month... I have not yet run a car-fax report ..... altho I used to have an acct but it expired. anyone have one they can run this vin for me? Pls PM me if so..... thx!

EDIT: Of course I wont buy the car without seeing it and driving it first... id never drop that much cash on something i haven't driven or seen in person ;)

Last edited:
I agree that if you drive, it should be some other part of year... you are in LA and you have no idea of some of the bad weather you will on the way now. This isn't an SUV.

I like the idea of driving... but this is the wrong time.

Hi,
I used FedEx Custom Critical Passport Auto Transport to ship in an enclosed trailer from arizona to indiana. $1600
The guys were very professional and careful, car arrived as shipped!
(800)325-4267 Very easy to get an online quote customcritical.fedex.com
Good Luck!

Hi,
I used FedEx Custom Critical Passport Auto Transport to ship in an enclosed trailer from arizona to indiana. $1600
The guys were very professional and careful, car arrived as shipped!
(800)325-4267 Very easy to get an online quote customcritical.fedex.com
Good Luck!

Yea Fedex is pretty respectable... altho its a bit more expensive... it might be worth it... :) thanks for all the input guys..... now i have to decide if I'm gonna buy this one.... I can't find any 97-98's in my price range....

While many here have a different opinion, I say ship it. Besides the obvious benefits for the car, you have to ask yourself what your time is worth. I purchased my NSX from an owner in New Hampshire and had it shipped by Intercity Lines. I was thoroughly pleased with their professionalism, care and reliability. Their website is:

http://www.intercitylines.com/

Good luck.

I bought my Pheaton in Portland Oregon and drove it back to NY. I had a lblast doing the drive and would do it again tomorrow if the chance came up to do so. Lots of great memories for sure.

I bought my Pheaton in Portland Oregon and drove it back to NY. I had a lblast doing the drive and would do it again tomorrow if the chance came up to do so. Lots of great memories for sure.

Yea I LOVE road trips... and doing a road trip in an NSX would be a dream come true ..... If I had the time I would do it in a heartbeat...... But I doubt I can get the time off for work.. sigh so torn!

I had a Volvo wagon shipped from Oregon to north carolina last march for $850. It was on a standard car carrier and was plenty dirty from a Colorado blizzard when it got here but undamaged. It was Ok Transport. I have a# if interested. Jeff

I looked at this company briefly: http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

The quotes don't seem all that bad but it says 18 days? I guess you could pay for the expedited delivery .....

Can anyone make any recommendations for companies that I should go with? I want it to be covered for sure since its winter time and the roads will be covered in salt and crap...

thx!

I used Hog Haulers and it took just several days and it was completely covered. www.hoghaulers.com or call 1-866-464-4285 and ask for Scott. Driving may be fun, but the risks are not worth it. Leave the burden of an accident on someone else...especially for such a long trip!

I use a private company that transports on a 3 car enclosed carrier. I used them to transport my cars and bikes all of the time. He is usually $1 per mile and he is based out of Atlanta. He usually transports GT40s, Lamborghinis and other exotics. PM me if you want his info.

Thanks

I'll second the Intercity recommendation. I used them a few years ago to ship a Ferrari from Fl to NY. Excellent service in every way. They arrived on time right to the minute.

Drive it home, I flew to Chicago from Orlando, singed the paper work and was on the road by noon. Drove strait through to Pensacola, 14 hours I was whipped, but the weather was great and I would do it again. Took my girlfriend with me, had a great trip. It's sometime you’ll always remember. Made it back Orlando in two days.:smile: PS drink plenty of fluids it helps you from wearing down as fast.

I just shipped my car from coast to coast when i bought it- it came from San Diego , California to Atlanta, GA

cost me $812 with DAS (direct Auto shippers) they are an EBAY affiliated company and that price was enclosed- here is they catch/ or key depending on how you look at it. Many companies will tell you shipping is about $2000-$4500 because they use an 18 wheeler with hard metal sides the car is climate controlled essentially etc.

DAS is still enclosed but they use canvas sided cargo carriers. The car is on a rig that basically has a thick tent to protect it from rain, rocks, etc. Only problem is that when the car gets to you it is dusty and you have to wash it.

other than that it was worth the wait- took only 4 days once they picked it up -- however it did sit in thier shipping yard for 4 days becuase they had to wait until the trailer was full (they wanted to make thier trip worth while and not carry an empty load)

when i go back and do the math quickly-
the NSX gets about 225 maybe 250miles per tank to 11+/- gallons so i figured 3000 miles total would take roughly 10 fillups even if i got 300 miles per tank. 10 fillups times an average of 2.25/ Gal = $250 figure a three day trip thats 2 hotel stays at 50 bux per night minimum = 100
now figure wear and tear on tires and a 50 dollar oil change to be safe before you leave and when you get back thats another 100 minimum
so we are at 450 + wear and tear. and risk of endangering the car plus tiring myself out

Ican work at a rate of 500 bux a day and let someone else deal with the hassle.

Two problems I ran into with shipping: The car stacked on top of mine leaked goo onto mine during transit. Luckily it was just on the windshield/wiper area, and the marred paint is not visible.

Secondly, the shipping company delivered several other cars into California on the same run, so that by the time I had mine dropped off at my home, nine days had passed since my car was technically in the state. That caused me some problems with the DMV here, since you only have ten days to present the car to DMV for inspection, apparently, before incurring their wrath. Other states probably aren't as petty.

Two problems I ran into with shipping: The car stacked on top of mine leaked goo onto mine during transit. Luckily it was just on the windshield/wiper area, and the marred paint is not visible.

Secondly, the shipping company delivered several other cars into California on the same run, so that by the time I had mine dropped off at my home, nine days had passed since my car was technically in the state. That caused me some problems with the DMV here, since you only have ten days to present the car to DMV for inspection, apparently, before incurring their wrath. Other states probably aren't as petty.
I've seen drips from the above car (in enclosed trailer) and scratches from a low tree on an open trailer.

I drove mine home 1200 miles in 18 hours in the RAIN the whole time (solo)...trying to beat a winter storm...I loved it!!!

Oh! I didn't even think about tree branches. Good point.

It all comes down to time for me. If I have time, I want to do the road trip. If not, I would not be unhappy to have a car shipped.

ok, having shipped over 10 cars over the last 2 years, Exotic Car Transport has the best prices and you will get your car within a week.

http://www.ExoticCarTransport.com

I agree. I would also prefer shipping it - especially this time of year with snow/rain...

I'd recommend Exotic Car Transport enclosed carrier. Easy to deal with and most importantly no headaches - Problem free (other than neighbors coming out and cars pulling over to watch) :biggrin: . I won't use anybody else other than ECT. They were really great to deal with.

brickloading1.jpg

transport5.jpg

transport10.jpg

Back